What kind of tree is this?

Satguy

What kind of tree is this?
f551912577726b340ed83b3060fd4569.jpg
288ae50f2d700dda17c2ec1fb253c20e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Ruffed Grouse and a variety of songbirds eat the fruit. I'm not sure if turkeys would or not, but I would say "probably."

The flowers are great for pollinating insects.

Hawthorns have been propagated for ornamental species for a long time in this country. You can find blooms all different colors ranging from pure white, to violet to pink. That one was likely planted by a bird.

Cock-Spur Hawthorn
When I look up the pics of the cock spur hawthorn or other hawthorn the berries have longer stems like a cherry does but the pics I took the berries appear to be attached directly to the branch wood with no stems.

When I look up the pics of the cock spur hawthorn or other hawthorn the berries have longer stems like a cherry does but the pics I took the berries appear to be attached directly to the branch wood with no stems.

I can't really see that in the pictures, but that may be the case. Since you were there, you got a better look.

Keep in mind that if it is a descendent of an ornamental variety from someone's yard, the characteristics like that can vary.

I can't really see that in the pictures, but that may be the case. Since you were there, you got a better look.

Keep in mind that if it is a descendent of an ornamental variety from someone's yard, the characteristics like that can vary.
Thanks for your input. I am going to dig around on the web and see if I can find what variety of hawthorn it is.

Ruffed Grouse and a variety of songbirds eat the fruit. I'm not sure if turkeys would or not, but I would say "probably."

The flowers are great for pollinating insects.

Hawthorns have been propagated for ornamental species for a long time in this country. You can find blooms all different colors ranging from pure white, to violet to pink. That one was likely planted by a bird.
I am going to revisit this tree in July to see if it grows longer stems on the berries as the summer goes on. I guess I can harvest some of the berries and direct plant the seeds and hope they will grow. I wonder if they are considered an invasive?

Well I guess they are not an invasive since it is our state flower. MDC says they are native.

Thanks for your input. I am going to dig around on the web and see if I can find what variety of hawthorn it is.

When the leaves come on out you can tell for sure. Cock-spur leaves are different than most. In fact, the reason I said Cock-spur was because of how those new leaves coming out looked oval. But, they could come on out and look different.

Two other possibilities are Winterberry and Possumhaw. When those leaves come on out you will be able to tell for sure.
The wife researched winterberry and it only produces berries during the winter. I am leaning toward possumhaw. In a couple weeks I am going back to see how the leaves look. I am planning to get some cuttings in June and try to grow them. Thanks for checking.

Back