What is this yellow flowering plant?

Yes, brassica was in the mix I planted.

I’m assuming this is a good thing for a regenerative plot?

Yep, that looks like turnips. I always terminate ours, Paul Knox was not a fan of brassicas reoccurring in plots, as he said it was bad for the soil. BUT I think he was talking about a brassica exclusive plot. Mixed in with other perennials, I'm not sure it would have a bad effect.

Yes, brassica was in the mix I planted.
I’m assuming this is a good thing for a regenerative plot?
Any living plant is better than nothing, some just add more value than others. I haven't heard of anyone letting theirs completely go back to seed a second time. If you're concerned about it, I'd go out and mow it now that they're flowering. That might take care of them before they set viable seed without having to pull out the big guns.

Maybe some of the southern guys can chime in with their experiences. Up by me, brassicas do not survive the winter.

Heck let them go and reseeding give you free brassica most likely next winter. This is from February this year. Haven’t planted brassica in this clover plot for 4-5 years. I let the WW and WR terminate and reseed also.
You can see pic progression on this thread .... http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/rambling-plots.6270/

Here is self planted brassica in perenial WC

a493f50463230816c096e0cee958a8b3.jpg

Here is self planting WW and RC month ago.
b4392eb0e09f4504c37997e63d20d48b.jpg

RC in brassica/WW mix taken couple weeks ago. Self seeding
cd9ed1ccf2187638daf887736a642cf5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yellow rocket not turnips.

G
LMAO you are right. I never even looked at the pick. Thats how wars get started, miscommunications !!
In reference to my previous post I quote Rosanne Rosannadana, " Nevermind "

Last edited:
I generally pull yellow rocket by hand if there isn’t much of it. The more you prevent seeding, the less you will see it each year. I don’t ever see it in native grass fields - only plots.

Are you sure about that? Those look just like the shoots coming right out of my turnip bulbs. I took this pic last month.

View attachment 21823

Pretty sure, they are both brassica so they are similar. If jlane shows us a picture of one of his weeds growing out of a turnip I would change my mind but I don't think that he can. Turnips freeze to death in se Iowa and in se Michigan, they bolt in ne Kentucky. I'll bet that they freeze to death in north east PA. Turnip bolts do not have the same heavy branching pattern that yellow rocket and the above pictured flowers have.

DSC00080 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Last edited:
Pretty sure, they are both brassica so they are similar. If jlane shows us a picture of one of his weeds growing out of a turnip I would change my mind but I don't think that he can. Turnips freeze to death in se Iowa and in se Michigan, they bolt in ne Kentucky. I'll bet that they freeze to death in north east PA. Turnip bolts do not have the same heavy branching pattern that yellow rocket and the above pictured flowers have.

View attachment 21826

G

You are correct, I can’t show them coming out of a bulb.

I gotcha, just relating my growing zone experience. It’s uncanny how much these plants/flowers look alike.

Back