What is this weed?

Petreaux1

This weed is in clover field in Southwest Mississippi. Recent clethodim spray didnt affect it at all. What is it and how/when can I kill it? Thanks in advance. IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1079.jpg IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1079.jpg

It looks like some type of sedge grass. Sedges can be tough to kill, but there's herbicides that will get rid if them. Normally I'd use glyphosate, but in clover I'd use Imazethapyr 2SL herbicide, which is the generic version of Pursuit. This stuff seems expensive, but you only need 4-6 oz per acre, so a gallon goes a long way. You can get a gallon shipped to you from Daniel's Farm Store in Leola Pa for about $135. This stuff kills almost everything except legumes, but it works slow, it stops the weeds from growing rather than killing them instantly like glyphosate, and it has a lot of residual so don't use it if you want to plant brassica in the next half year. Spray when the weeds are growing, and when they are 4" tall or shorter, you might have to mow first and then wait a week to spray to achieve this. If your application is consistent you will end up with the nicest clover that you ever had. Good luck with treating that stuff.

It looks like some type of sedge grass. Sedges can be tough to kill, but there's herbicides that will get rid if them. Normally I'd use glyphosate, but in clover I'd use Imazethapyr 2SL herbicide, which is the generic version of Pursuit. This stuff seems expensive, but you only need 4-6 oz per acre, so a gallon goes a long way. You can get a gallon shipped to you from Daniel's Farm Store in Leola Pa for about $135. This stuff kills almost everything except legumes, but it works slow, it stops the weeds from growing rather than killing them instantly like glyphosate, and it has a lot of residual so don't use it if you want to plant brassica in the next half year. Spray when the weeds are growing, and when they are 4" tall or shorter, you might have to mow first and then wait a week to spray to achieve this. If your application is consistent you will end up with the nicest clover that you ever had. Good luck with treating that stuff.

MM...Are they still carrying the generic brand Thunder or are you getting another trade name? You’ve posted about Daniels Farm Store so many times that I’m finally going to give them a call and see what happens when I ask about shipping to another state.

MM...Are they still carrying the generic brand Thunder or are you getting another trade name? You’ve posted about Daniels Farm Store so many times that I’m finally going to give them a call and see what happens when I ask about shipping to another state.
In the past posts on weeds in clover I mentioned Thunder a lot, Imazethapyr 2sl is the new generic version of Thunder, which was the generic version of Pursuit.
I apologize for sounding like a broken record on this one, but this stuff is a secret that professional plot managers use to justify their existence and I'm trying to help the little guy. I don't have any connection to Daniel's or the company that makes herbicide, I just see this stuff advertised for two and three times what they sell it for (chemical warehouse $295) and I'm trying to help people save money. If food plot guys would spray their ladino clover with imazethapyr 2sl once every spring when it starts growing, at 3" tall, they'd become believers as well.
There's so much that I'd like to say, yet I'm getting long winded. But every year guys PM me pics of a plot full of big weeds and say "what can I do" Big weeds are hard to kill, read my paragraph about spraying white clover in early spring, take your pocket knife, and carve it into the side of your spraying rig to make sure that it happens.

In the past posts on weeds in clover I mentioned Thunder a lot, Imazethapyr 2sl is the new generic version of Thunder, which was the generic version of Pursuit.
I apologize for sounding like a broken record on this one, but this stuff is a secret that professional plot managers use to justify their existence and I'm trying to help the little guy. I don't have any connection to Daniel's or the company that makes herbicide, I just see this stuff advertised for two and three times what they sell it for (chemical warehouse $295) and I'm trying to help people save money. If food plot guys would spray their ladino clover with imazethapyr 2sl once every spring when it starts growing, at 3" tall, they'd become believers as well.
There's so much that I'd like to say, yet I'm getting long winded. But every year guys PM me pics of a plot full of big weeds and say "what can I do" Big weeds are hard to kill, read my paragraph about spraying white clover in early spring, take your pocket knife, and carve it into the side of your spraying rig to make sure that it happens.

No need to apologize and I actually like it when you go into so much detail. I’ve seen your clover plot pictures and they look impressive to say the least..

No need to apologize and I actually like it when you go into so much detail. I’ve seen your clover plot pictures and they look impressive to say the least..
Right now I've got a picture perfect 2 acre clover field that has these mysterious 6" wide, bare dirt grooves, spaced about thirty feet apart, running lengthwise through the field, where nothing grew all summer, as if ufo's had left streaks across it.
What actually happened here is that I purchased a new 30' wide, 150 gallon 3 point boom sprayer, and the first time I used it for a shakedown run was last spring when I sprayed this clover field with imazethapyr 2sl. What I didn't notice on one of the nozzles, since it was hidden right behind the tank, was that the manufacturer missed installing a rubber washer in a tee jet fitting, and the chemical just ran out instead of a spray mist. That imazethapyr 2sl is so potent that nothing is growing there now yet, a full 6 months later.

Does that herbicide kill Creeping Charlie?
Yes, imazethapyr 2sl will kill creepy charlie, but it will kill your grass as well if you are thinking of a lawn, I'd use 2-4,D. If you want it and everything else dead I'd use triclopyr.

Yes, imazethapyr 2sl will kill creepy charlie, but it will kill your grass as well if you are thinking of a lawn, I'd use 2-4,D. If you want it and everything else dead I'd use triclopyr.
I have Charlie invading my clover patches horribly. I've dabbled a little with applying borax as discussed in other threads, but I'd like an herbicide that will smoke the crap.

I have Charlie invading my clover patches horribly. I've dabbled a little with applying borax as discussed in other threads, but I'd like an herbicide that will smoke the crap.
For clover I'd definitely use Imazethapyr 2SL, it will clean it up. For best results apply in early spring right after growth starts.
upload_2020-10-12_18-50-9.png

Reactions: Tap
I always pick my stuff up in person. If you think about it, let me know what they charge for shipping.

I tried calling three times today and got the answerIng machine every time. Do you know if they are shut down due to something?
717-656-6982 They should be open every day... They are Amish, maybe they had a wedding. Amish weddings are always Tuesday and Thursday.

717-656-6982 They should be open every day... They are Amish, maybe they had a wedding. Amish weddings are always Tuesday and Thursday.

That’s the number I have and I got in touch with them on the first try today and they actually answered on the first ring. Great people to work with and they had no problem sending me a gallon of herbicide. They quoted $165 a gallon and an estimate of $20-$25 on shipping but would email me a total price and send a copy of the invoice in the package. When I get an exact total I will let you know. Even at that price it’s still a lot cheaper than I can find locally or online. Thank you.

That’s the number I have and I got in touch with them on the first try today and they actually answered on the first ring. Great people to work with and they had no problem sending me a gallon of herbicide. They quoted $165 a gallon and an estimate of $20-$25 on shipping but would email me a total price and send a copy of the invoice in the package. When I get an exact total I will let you know. Even at that price it’s still a lot cheaper than I can find locally or online. Thank you.

Total was $182.50.

Herbicide $165
Shipping $17.50

Total was $182.50.

Herbicide $165
Shipping $17.50
I don't know where I got the idea of $135, I have an excellent memory, it's just short. But that's still a good price. Imazethapyr 2SL (aka Thunder) has been getting cheaper every year, 4 years ago I paid $265, so $100 less is no small potatoes.

Back