What I don't like about ground blinds

Brokenbear

It never fails ...I will light my one Cigar my doctor (who am I kidding the wife ) allows me a day ..and get it really going good and a pesky deer presents it self for consideration ..Now my complaint is there is never a shelf handy in a ground blind when ya need it! :D:D:D:D:D:D Just fun'in ....I'll drop the stogie every time!

Bear

I think the very worst time is when nature calls and your in the middle of taking care of business.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'm with you mthornton99 ..PLUS ..wouldn't that ker-plunkin sound a toilet makes when flushing get the deer on alert?

Bear

I must admit that my bathroom is normally limited to an old coffee can however I save the real dirty business for the outhouse back at deer camp.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I killed my best bow buck five minutes after a hurried trip to the outdoor outhouse. Just had gotten back in the pop up and picked up my bow when I saw his feet coming down a little hill in front of me. It's better to be lucky than good !

My buddy commented to me that some one must really like pickles because there were pickle jars full of pickle juice in the blind. I had to inform him that the yellow liquid he was looking at was not pickle juice but urine. Also told him that everyone should take out their own pickle jars as it is one thing I do not enjoy handling.

I usually just step outside to relieve myself of, ah, pickle juice, but I have one blind on ten foot legs. That first step is pretty loooong !

JFK52 ..my pards an kin would only leave ONE jar ..then their hunt'in days would be over ..In S.E. Asia I stirred with a stick the bottom 1/3 of a 55 gal drum full of burning diesel fuel and %&*(!$# if you get my meaning ..and I was an officer ..always figured to never give an order I wouldn't or couldn't do myself ..also a darn good life insurance to have your platoon on your side!

Bear

JFK52 ..my pards an kin would only leave ONE jar ..then their hunt'in days would be over ..In S.E. Asia I stirred with a stick the bottom 1/3 of a 55 gal drum full of burning diesel fuel and %&*(!$# if you get my meaning ..and I was an officer ..always figured to never give an order I wouldn't or couldn't do myself ..also a darn good life insurance to have your platoon on your side!

Bear
Ahhhhhhh... Burning the barrels. Always a good time! MOGAS and a$$! ;)

" Brokenbear", I hear what you are saying.It is a point of contention with me that the persons who fill the pickle jars do not take them out of the stand. Myself or another hunter always picks up all my hunters in my Suburban after dark. I know the deer are used to the sound of the truck and there are no scent trails left all over the land by hunters walking in after exiting the blinds. I have a checklist on pickup and right at the top is: "Did you take out your piss jar?" The overall situation is improving and guys understand that I do not want to handle their urine no matter what it is in.

When you get 5-7 inches of rain in one night and the creek the blind was in is now out of it's banks. I wonder how far it will make. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Last edited:
When you get 5-7 inches of rain in one night and the creek the blind was in is now out of it's banks. I wonder if it will how far it will make. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Love this post. I didnt lose a blind in this manner, but after hurricane hermine, my bow setup was overlooking ankle deep water in every direction. The deer obviously still travel it but it makes blood trailing any potential kill problematic.

Love this post. I didnt lose a blind in this manner, but after hurricane hermine, my bow setup was overlooking ankle deep water in every direction. The deer obviously still travel it but it makes blood trailing any potential kill problematic.

Shoulder shot with a fixed head like muzzy or thunderhead will take care of that. They generally drop in less than 80 yards if you hit them in the transmission. I have never lost an animal shot in the shoulder even with bow to include hogs. Granted I have always shot compounds.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned cows. Cows will absolutely flatten a ground blind and tear it to shreds.

You guys are giving me some great ideas ..call'em re-inventing the ground blind ..great retirement income ..
lets see ..we will put a locator beacon ..flotation skirt ..electric fence..(solar of course) ..an air hand pump up mortar with silencer / fruit jar bore diameter of course!! (make a note:Mortar must have range capable to place projectile minimum 150 yards over the property line) ..

New Idea ..the locator beacon must be an attachable item ..so I could use it in other places ...like that new ladder stand I put out about dark30 3 weeks ago ..new spot ..finally relocated it after an hour looking on the second trip looking for it ..DANG ...just wanted to put the dad gum seat on it!

Bear

Each year I say one more week and I'll get those stupid pop up blinds in that "everyone" used. And then it snows one of those heavy wet snows and down they go with new busted parts. I order parts and fix them as best as I can but am usually missing a part or two.

Back