Well, learned something new about Ozark Chinquapins....

I got some from someone but can't remember who. Seems like they knew of one on a mountain somewhere seemed like a pain for them to collect best I remember.

No I tried bark grafts this spring. I think I tried mine too early or late I'm not sure we had the temperatures needed to callus the union. Best I remember it was hitting 65-70 in the days and 55ish at night. I was afraid to wait too late and it be in the 90s. I'm considering trying to t bud some allehany chinkapin to a Chinese at my brothers house. I wish I could get some ozark bud wood to try again now but I don't know if it would be viable through the mail. If all goes well I plan to try and attempt and t bud some local Americans to move them to my Chestnut orchards I have 3 small 5 tree orchards and one larger 15 tree. My hopes is that they t bud readily which would allow me to move Americans to my orchards. I like the idea of t budding due to ease and less invasive plus it's easier to field graft. Do you have Americans only on your place or the other natives as well?

https://www.acf.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Chestnut_Winter2017_lr.pdf?x77871

"We were surprised at how vigorously the Ozark chinquapin somatic embryos germinated and grew (Figure 2D). Since we regenerated these first somatic seedlings, we discovered that Ozark chinquapin nuts, unlike those of American chestnut, actually have no cold stratification requirement in order to germinate (Johnson 1988)"

"Besides some differences in leaves and bark, Ozark chinquapin can be distinguished from the Allegheny chinquapin by the fact that Allegheny chinquapin is often stoloniferous, meaning that it can sprout from underground stems, while Ozark chinquapin is never stoloniferous (Johnson 1988). Also, unfortunately, Ozark chinquapin is even more severely affected by blight than Allegheny chinquapin, and most individuals now exist as stump sprouts of variable size and age (Johnson 1988)."

One of the reasons that Ozark Chinkapin blights so readily, is because nuts and scions are taken off trees that have blight!!! I have successfully grafted Ozark Chinkapin to Chinese Chestnut, with good results, because my scions are free of disease and were taken from healthy trees.

My first year grafts flowered but didn't produce nuts. Maybe I'll have a few nuts next Fall?

This is Ozark Chinkapin grafted to Chinese Chestnut. This graft is about 6-7 feet tall now. In the coming years I should have nuts, and I will have a VERY limited number of scions, because I have two scions that survived on one graft.

Is it possible my grafts failed due to the source of the Ozark chinquapin scion having blight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible my grafts failed due to the source of the Ozark chinquapin scion having blight?

No, the grafts would have to take first and then get blight, unless your scions were already diseased. Did you see blight on the tree the scions came from.

After recently watching the I was intrigued by the facts in the nutritional analysis video. If I hear it right, there's some debate about whether Ozark and Allegheny are different species. Is it safe to assume (or expect) that Allegheny Chinquapin have nearly the same nutritional profile?

No, the grafts would have to take first and then get blight, unless your scions were already diseased. Did you see blight on the tree the scions came from.

The only Ozark I have in my area is a regrowth from a stump so I assume it has had blight.

After recently watching the I was intrigued by the facts in the nutritional analysis video. If I hear it right, there's some debate about whether Ozark and Allegheny are different species. Is it safe to assume (or expect) that Allegheny Chinquapin have nearly the same nutritional profile?
Ozark Chinkapin was a large tree, while Allegheny is a small tree and sometimes a bush.

I have a bunch of ozark chinkapin (chinquapin) trees here in NE Oklahoma. They prefer limestone outcropping type ground to grow. We have some big trees and should have lots of acorns this fall. They start dropping by beginning of October here...

I have a bunch of ozark chinkapin (chinquapin) trees here in NE Oklahoma. They prefer limestone outcropping type ground to grow. We have some big trees and should have lots of acorns this fall. They start dropping by beginning of October here...
I must apologize...my trees are not ozark chinquapin but are large native chinquapin trees...

http://www.deerhunterforum.com/inde...g-new-about-ozark-chinquapins.714/#post-11681

From my reading of it, they are different species or, at least, very different. I am suspicious of the nutrient thing. More and better data is needed.

Last edited:
Ozark Chinkapin was a large tree, while Allegheny is a small tree and sometimes a bush.
Well, I learned something new about Ozark chinquapins! Thanks for that correction. Somehow I got the notion that they were both nearly identical . . . I must have inferred that from the naming convention of Region+Chinquapin.

30743812_1860832900634628_3134220555359433885_n.jpg

Ozark Chinquapin, Castanea ozarkensis, root
Chinquapins and Chestnuts really pump out the roots.

Source = https://www.facebook.com/ozarkchinquapinfoundation/

Back