Well, I took the crossbow plunge :-/

JohnL48

Man, I always said I wouldn't cuz I love my bow but not having any time to practice with the compound bow this yr and it's looking like my hunting this yr will be running out behind my shop after work for an hr or 2 when I can, I did it. I hope I dont go to bowhunter hell o_O

Would that be bow hunters hell where we shoot arrows from our bows from the puffy clouds up above and they rain down on your backside down below!:D

I would rather see someone admit that they dont feel they can do a deer justice by attempting to kill it with a bow than to refuse to shoot a crossbow just for the sake of being too "proud".

I think crossbows get an undeserved bad rap. Nothing wrong with them. If you don't like them no one is forcing you to use one.

I personally went crossbow first, everyone gave me crap so I spent 2 grand building a sick compound bow, shot it like a dozen times and put it away the last two years, gonna sell it and my current crossbow for a new crossbow. I enjoy them much more than compounds.

Good luck with the string and/or limbs. I work on bows for a living and see more Barnett's with busted strings than any other brand. Busted limbs are a very close second. I have customers come in and it is hard to know what gave up the ghost first, the string or the limbs. If the string and the limb are broken, I tend to think the string broke first, causing the limb to bust. I have 2 in the shop now with busted limbs, but the strings are still good. you may never have a problem, but I figured I would give you the heads up. On a side note, Barnett's customer service is top notch once you get off hold(they are busy this time of year).

Good luck with the string and/or limbs. I work on bows for a living and see more Barnett's with busted strings than any other brand. Busted limbs are a very close second. I have customers come in and it is hard to know what gave up the ghost first, the string or the limbs. If the string and the limb are broken, I tend to think the string broke first, causing the limb to bust. I have 2 in the shop now with busted limbs, but the strings are still good. you may never have a problem, but I figured I would give you the heads up. On a side note, Barnett's customer service is top notch once you get off hold(they are busy this time of year).
I read reviews on strings breaking and reviews of never having a problem so we'll see. Barnett say the strings are breaking to to improper nocks used or the nock not being seated tightly against the string. You hear of this as a cause ?

good luck with the new x-bow. Looks like a good price. I will be in the woods with an Excalibur X-bow this afternoon. I have no problem with the crossbow--I just want to kill a deer. I don't care if it was with a bow, x-bow, black powder, or rifle. I hunt all seasons!!

todd

good luck with the new x-bow. Looks like a good price. I will be in the woods with an Excalibur X-bow this afternoon. I have no problem with the crossbow--I just want to kill a deer. I don't care if it was with a bow, x-bow, black powder, or rifle. I hunt all seasons!!

todd
Good luck Todd, I'll be stuck in my shop all day as usual. It just needs to be called what it is, "crossbow hunting" not "bow hunting with a crossbow" ;-)

I have been hunting with a crossbow for a few years now due to shoulder issues. I love it. Some of us don't consider hunting with a thousand dollar compound to be bowhunting either.

John,

I hunt with a cross bow due to a bad right shoulder. I would rather have my compound but those days are gone for me. The cross bow is accurate, heavy to carry and many of them are much too loud.

As hunters we need to stick together - the antis want us divided. I say screw them to the wall with rusty screws.

I believe some people think I have an advantage with a cross bow. It is immediately accurate but it is a noise issue. I had rather have a compound that is quiet.

Good luck with your compound bow. What do I call what you are doing? Huntin man - good luck 2 u.

John,

The secret to your cross bow - wax that rail and wax that string. Then wax it again. I don't like to leave my cocked and I don't unload it where deer can hear it go off.

Did I say to wax the thing. That is what helps avoid problems - wax.

I read reviews on strings breaking and reviews of never having a problem so we'll see. Barnett say the strings are breaking to to improper nocks used or the nock not being seated tightly against the string. You hear of this as a cause ?
Talked to guy at Cabellas today while shopping for xbow for my dad. He said hadn't been as many issues with Barnetts this year, and showed me that one of the causes for failure is the the metal clip for string , as some get string on top of that instead of beneath it. Good luck with your hunting.

I am just not a fan of using optics during bow season,no problem for disabilities or shoulder issues.To each their own after all it is easier and quicker to master.

I am just not a fan of using optics during bow season,no problem for disabilities or shoulder
issues.To each their own after all it is easier and quicker to master.
I felt the same way when I was younger. Didn't think it was fair. However, when compound bows were legalized the traditionalist felt the same way about compounds. Now that I am older and "maybe" a little wiser I don't really care at all. I am just glad I am able to bow hunt (with a crossbow) just 8 weeks from having a shoulder replacement. There is power in numbers--I just want to get as many ethical hunters in the woods as possible. There is no way either of my daughters could pull back a legal bow and for young kids making a lethal hit is much easier with a crossbow.

todd

If it is legal shoot what you are most efficient with! I love hunting with my long bow and recurve, but I will use a compound if my shoulder is bothering me or I don't have the time to practice enough with the traditional gear. If it gets to where I can't use a bow I will get a crossbow. We owe it to the animals to use the most effective way for a quick kill.

Considering that everyone I have talked to use the arrows that come with the bow, I don't see how it could be improper nocks. As for seating them, I can't say. I have shot my share of crossbows and I find I pretty hard to not seat the bolt correctly. You slide it down the rail until it stops. Every crossbow has an arm that holds the bolt down so it doesn't flop, so I can't see a bolt scooting forward and creating a gap. I have talked to Barnett regularly since I started this job and they have never mentioned improper nocks or nocks not being seated against the string. When customers ask, I tell them to shoot what came on the factory bolts, in most cases is a half moon.

Considering that everyone I have talked to use the arrows that come with the bow, I don't see how it could be improper nocks. As for seating them, I can't say. I have shot my share of crossbows and I find I pretty hard to not seat the bolt correctly. You slide it down the rail until it stops. Every crossbow has an arm that holds the bolt down so it doesn't flop, so I can't see a bolt scooting forward and creating a gap. I have talked to Barnett regularly since I started this job and they have never mentioned improper nocks or nocks not being seated against the string. When customers ask, I tell them to shoot what came on the factory bolts, in most cases is a half moon.
Again, I was quoting what I read in the reviews. I get it, you're not a fan of Barnett. It came today so time will tell

They make some good crossbows, but you have to work through some bugs to get there. I tell people to invest in an after market string(when the factory breaks) and it usually fixes the problem. Barnett will usually send you a new string, but i have been buying BlackHeart Strings and installing them and don't see people returning with issues.

Edit: It's not that I don't like Barnett, it's just the fact that I see the same two issues repeatedly and that puts a bad taste in my mouth. Before they were bought out, the only issues I saw were strings being replaced from shooting them so much(standard bow maintenance).

Last edited:
Sometimes you just have to change up and do something different. I had to have surgery on my neck in 08 and I know the day of crossbow is coming. It's funny how we change our view over time. I know I have a few years left so I will enjoy the draw while I can. I need to get a black widow and shoot a deer with it. I have never shot any other bow hunting than a compound.

Back