Wanted Dead or Alive

dogghr

So I went down after work to replace an apple tree that died in the drought last yr. I thot. It lived thru last summer and looked fine but no leaves this spring. Stupid me yanked the "dead " tree out of ground , removed window screen from trunk and what do I see? these sprouts. I placed new tree but replanted this one in another spot.
Prognosis?? Should I trim back upper section?? Cut up entire tree for kindling? What think gurus?
cf0aa894f68190ffc0a95fae109f0b01.jpg

fe27c64490a332ca4d018be528ec20d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd let that thing grow! If the sprouts are above the graft it will be the variety you planted, if not you can graft whatever you like on a sprout.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. That's how I was thinking and am glad you feel the same. It's funny because when I yanked it out of the ground, I thot man those roots look so healthy for such a dead tree. Maybe I've got a new technique for saving dying trees by way of window screen.

I see this occasionally after I have yanked tree tubes off supposedly dead DCOs,crabs,persimmons,etc

Back later,I find them resprouting among weeds!!!

bill

i personally would cut the top growth off just above the sprout
I did think that also but didn't have my pruning shears with me. Where would you make the cut? And would putting this tree in a tube give it and advantage? I usually just cage them and window screen at trunks.