Walmart Dunstan Trees - Expectations

mattpatt

Here’s a good example of what to expect when you buy the Dunstan trees from Walmart under probably the most ideal growing conditions. My soil isn’t all that great but but I have amended the soil to the best of my ability for ph levels and this tree is at my house so it is watered when needed during the summer. It had had lite production the second year it was in the ground and really came on the third year. This is the fifth year it has been in the ground and the tree looks awesome.

a57c5fbf2ad6139d2d52e2c8e4edd04d.jpg

The tree in question is the one on the left. The one on the right had too much root damage or something and never grew. I kept it for two years and ended up culling it. These trees were purchased on clearance from Walmart five years ago in late May. They had been neglected and had almost died due to not being watered. The one that survived spent it’s first year not growing much. It just maintained what few leaves it did have. I kept it watered and monitored it closely.

Here is how it looks now….
4960eaf188dc0c30aed7ce861bcb0a4b.jpg

The tree is growing and doing great. It has produced nuts the last several years and has made a wonderful addition to my small home orchard.

Matt

I bought four 3-gallon Chestnut Hills chestnuts in May 2017 on clearance. They did not look as bad as your trees did. I keep them in my driveway and planted them in November 2017. Three of the four have done great. One died back the first year it was transplanted since I am not able to water my trees. The one that died back is still alive, but is still struggling almost four years later. One has produced burrs the last two years, but they were not pollinated. Hopefully this is the year. I have bought several more chestnuts on clearance, but I am having better success with starting chestnuts as nuts and planting seedlings out in the fall. With tubes, I have planted about 40-50 and I don't think I have lost one. The seedlings have caught up with the Dunstans I believe simply due to the fact that it is easier for a smaller tree to survive and thrive without supplemental water.

These photos are definitely up there for first prize in the Extreme Makeover tree edition. It really has a good form now.

For anyone thinking about taking a chance on a struggling tree, here are a couple of rejuvenation tonics that Chestnut Hills posted a few years ago when one of their shipments was delayed and the trees were water stressed.

We are advising customers to water their stressed trees with this solution once a week for 4-6 weeks:

Soak 1 multi B vitamin & 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt overnight in 1 gallon of water. Apply one gallon per tree, once a week with this solution for 4-6 weeks. Don't water them more than once a week with this solution to avoid salt buildup. Water your trees with regular water as needed as well.

For nutritional deficiencies/ green up recipe:
Mix the following dry ingredients well in a 5 gallon bucket and distribute about a 1/2 cup on two sides of mature trees (4 yr olds) at the drip line.

Less for younger trees with less caliper.
1/2 the bucket - Milorganite
1 cup - Ironite ( dry, granular )
1/2 cup - Manganese sulfate
1 cup - Epsom Salts

I bought four 3-gallon Chestnut Hills chestnuts in May 2017 on clearance. They did not look as bad as your trees did. I keep them in my driveway and planted them in November 2017. Three of the four have done great. One died back the first year it was transplanted since I am not able to water my trees. The one that died back is still alive, but is still struggling almost four years later. One has produced burrs the last two years, but they were not pollinated. Hopefully this is the year. I have bought several more chestnuts on clearance, but I am having better success with starting chestnuts as nuts and planting seedlings out in the fall. With tubes, I have planted about 40-50 and I don't think I have lost one. The seedlings have caught up with the Dunstans I believe simply due to the fact that it is easier for a smaller tree to survive and thrive without supplemental water.

These photos are definitely up there for first prize in the Extreme Makeover tree edition. It really has a good form now.

I think the key is regular watering. The trees I’ve planted out in the woods where we hunt and can’t water haven’t produced either and they are just as old as the ones that are in my orchard. That’s really the only difference. The ones at my house were they receive water when needed have produced from a very early age. It’s all about the water and how much you can baby your trees.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple of eight year old walmart dunstan chestnuts - they bloom, but never have produced the first burr. Blooming good right now.

I have a couple of eight year old walmart dunstan chestnuts - they bloom, but never have produced the first burr. Blooming good right now.

Have you had them eight years or are you taking into account the time at the nursery as well? What I mean is these trees are more than likely at least 2yo when we get them.

Matt

Have you had them eight years or are you taking into account the time at the nursery as well? What I mean is these trees are more than likely at least 2yo when we get them.

Matt

they have been in my ground eight years

I didn’t do that either with my tree so it’s probably at least a couple years older if you were to compare it to one that you grew from seed yourself.

I think the key is regular watering. The trees I’ve planted out in the woods where we hunt and can’t water haven’t produced either and they are just as old as the ones that are in my orchard. That’s really the only difference. The ones at my house were they receive water when needed have produced from a very early age. It’s all about the water and how much you can baby your trees.

Matt

I bought ~10 3 gallon duns tans from Walmart april 2015

The first 3 summers , they coughed,spit,hacked,puked and did everything but die

I continued to diligently water them through Texas heat

They started producing slowly 2018(~ 20 nuts) 2019 (~100) 2020(~180)

This year they are covered in Catkins and I haven't ordered seed from chestnut ridge in pike county for the second straight year

bill

I bought ~10 3 gallon duns tans from Walmart april 2015

The first 3 summers , they coughed,spit,hacked,puked and did everything but die

I continued to diligently water them through Texas heat

They started producing slowly 2018(~ 20 nuts) 2019 (~100) 2020(~180)

This year they are covered in Catkins and I haven't ordered seed from chestnut ridge in pike county for the second straight year

bill

Nice too see others with similar results. The key is watering. If you don’t do it you won’t get the results you are after plain and simple. These Walmart trees are a really nice option if you want something for wildlife that will start producing for you fairly quickly. There are much better options however if you want some trees to have for human consumption. I’m also enjoying the fact that I have one here close to the house that is supplying me with all the seed nuts I could ever need and then some.

As much as I love being in Northern Wisconsin, being in zone 4b pretty much tells me chestnuts are not going to thrive. To add onto my zone, my ten acres is in the bottom of a valley that loves to freeze! I think I should still try a few... anyone have any luck in cold climate?

Yes, actually makes it worth it to go to Walmart once a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Do they stock these the normal time the get trees in the spring? I might have to begin paying a little better attention.

Do they stock these the normal time the get trees in the spring? I might have to begin paying a little better attention.
You can go to their web site and type in your zip code and find out if Walmarts near you will be receiving a shipment. If you scroll a little further down, you can click on the Walmart Spring 2024 Location link and it will pull up what stock the stores near you will receive. They also ship to Rural King if you have any near you.

You can go to their web site and type in your zip code and find out if Walmarts near you will be receiving a shipment. If you scroll a little further down, you can click on the Walmart Spring 2024 Location link and it will pull up what stock the stores near you will receive. They also ship to Rural King if you have any near you.
Closest is Claremore, OK. I’ll be over that way come the end of April, might have to check the out.

Back