Vine popping up in plot

Read about "Mile a Minute" vine. It's an invasive species. If it gets really bad, I would mow just high enough to get the vine but not hurt the clover. Repeat as necessary.

Read about "Mile a Minute" vine. It's an invasive species. If it gets really bad, I would mow just high enough to get the vine but not hurt the clover. Repeat as necessary.
Not highly browsed either I’m guessing?

I googled it and what came up looks a little different in leaf shape, are there different varieties of it?

Yeah that’s it I think. I’ve killed it here at the house by our fruit trees. With them, I just rip it out of the ground. I’ll spot spray it with gly soon. I read a heavy does will kill it before it gets going strong.

Went and spot sprayed the plot, there really wasn’t much of it in the plot. I mixed the gly quite hot. I was wondering if I stirred up the bindweed disking too deep last fall. But after getting a good look at what the stuff looks like while still small and young. I’ve begun to see it all over; fields, pastures, ditches on county roads have it springing up. I’m guessing the first wet spring in ages has it exploding after consecutive dry years. Where I see it in the water way, plot and field edges on me, I’m going to weedeat it down to the ground, let it come back and nail it with a strong dose of gly.
Deer are browsing it some, but I doubt they’ll get it all.
IMG_0167.jpeg
What stinks is the stuff I’ll have to kill with it while spraying; this vetch has made it for years, through drought and all.:(
IMG_0168.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 5
I ended up taking the mower over to mow down the bindweed, and I’m GLAD I did. There was much more of it around than I thought. Some was already beginning to suffocate one of our young red oaks. I called the extension office and will hopefully hear back from them tomorrow, about what to use in terms of spray. It would be great if they would pay for a portion of the chemical, since this is an invasive, but I’m not counting on that. I don’t want to use glyphosate on it on these bigger area and kill everything. Especially on the hillside and in the waterway. I’m hoping that by mowing, it will getting the older parts of it growing aggressively again, so I can get a good kill.

I ended up taking the mower over to mow down the bindweed, and I’m GLAD I did. There was much more of it around than I thought. Some was already beginning to suffocate one of our young red oaks. I called the extension office and will hopefully hear back from them tomorrow, about what to use in terms of spray. It would be great if they would pay for a portion of the chemical, since this is an invasive, but I’m not counting on that. I don’t want to use glyphosate on it on these bigger area and kill everything. Especially on the hillside and in the waterway. I’m hoping that by mowing, it will getting the older parts of it growing aggressively again, so I can get a good kill.
We looked at a USDA program for controlling some invasive plants. The money they were offering was not worth the documentation required to us.

We looked at a USDA program for controlling some invasive plants. The money they were offering was not worth the documentation required to us.
Some chemicals we can get at the county barn, if used for invasives. They’re a little cheaper.

Went and spot sprayed the plot, there really wasn’t much of it in the plot. I mixed the gly quite hot. I was wondering if I stirred up the bindweed disking too deep last fall. But after getting a good look at what the stuff looks like while still small and young. I’ve begun to see it all over; fields, pastures, ditches on county roads have it springing up. I’m guessing the first wet spring in ages has it exploding after consecutive dry years. Where I see it in the water way, plot and field edges on me, I’m going to weedeat it down to the ground, let it come back and nail it with a strong dose of gly.
Deer are browsing it some, but I doubt they’ll get it all.
View attachment 28096
What stinks is the stuff I’ll have to kill with it while spraying; this vetch has made it for years, through drought and all.:(
View attachment 28098
I hadn't seen horsetail in 3 years on my place due to the drought. It rained like crazy this spring and the horsetail has exploded in my plots.

I hadn't seen horsetail in 3 years on my place due to the drought. It rained like crazy this spring and the horsetail has exploded in my plots.
We’ll both take the bad with good without complaint. I’m already beginning to wonder if our spigot has shut off again. Last night a pretty good line was headed right to us from the NW, only to die completely about 40 miles away.

The local extension agent recommended Plateau (imazapic) for bindweed control. Has anyone ever used this?

The local extension agent recommended Plateau (imazapic) for bindweed control. Has anyone ever used this?

That recommendation sounds strange to me. First of all I understand that you are using it in a food plot. One of the first things on the label is that it is for "non crop" areas. Secondly, the general rate of application is like 8 ounces per acre for bindweed. They show clover and chicory tolerant at 4 ounces per acre, but what will happen when you double that? That will likely kill your chicory, white clover and no telling what else. I would never use it on a food plot.

You need to study this Label. Plateau is a very complicated herbicide: https://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld2LP000.pdf

That recommendation sounds strange to me. First of all I understand that you are using it in a food plot. One of the first things on the label is that it is for "non crop" areas. Secondly, the general rate of application is like 8 ounces per acre for bindweed. They show clover and chicory tolerant at 4 ounces per acre, but what will happen when you double that? That will likely kill your chicory, white clover and no telling what else. I would never use it on a food plot.

You need to study this Label = https://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld2LP000.pdf
I’m going to use it on our hillside and waterway, not the foodplot.

I’m going to use it on our hillside and waterway, not the foodplot.
Okay, I was looking at "plot" in the title of your post. I would still study that label. A couple of ounces per acre difference makes a big difference in what is killed.

Okay, I was looking at "plot" in the title of your post. I would still study that label. A couple of ounces per acre difference makes a big difference in what is killed.
I told the agent I wanted to keep from killing the warm and cool season grasses on the hillside. I’m fine with it killing broadleaves in this particular area.

Back