Unproductive Sawtooth Oaks

Bottomland

When my dad and I bought the first piece of our property, the previous owners had half-heartedly planted some sawtooths in some of the food plots years before. I would imagine they are 12-15 years old now, with 3-5 trees planted together in each field. When we closed on the property, I noticed that although they were large trees (6-8"+ bases) they had never really been cared for (they were bushy) so I pruned them heavily. In the six years that we've owned the property, I've never noticed more than a couple of acorns on them, and most of them have never produced. They are certainly large enough to do so. Have any of you experience anything like this? I have zero idea where these trees came from. I have friends that have sawtooths that are younger and they RAIN acorns every fall.

Would it be possible to graft more productive sawtooth scions onto the trunks of some of these trees? I've never heard of grafting oaks, so excuse my ignorance if it isn't possible, and I know grafting onto a large tree has its own difficulties anyways. Just curious about what to do. These trees get plenty of sun, rain, and fertilizer since they are all in food plots.

Do they get plenty of light? That's often the limiting factor with sawtooth acorn production.

Just saw the bottom of your post. If light is not the issue, fertilization might be. The fertilizer might be causing too much vegetative growth.

How close together are they planted?

Do they get plenty of light? That's often the limiting factor with sawtooth acorn production.

Just saw the bottom of your post. If light is not the issue, fertilization might be. The fertilizer might be causing too much vegetative growth.

How close together are they planted?
They get tons of light, they are planted 30 feet apart at minimum. They do get alot of fertilization since they are in food plots, but usually just once or twice in the fall.

Is there a chance they are too far apart? They need to be close enough to pollinate each other.

If you are seeing strong vegetative growth, then N fertilizer might be the culprit. Odd that none of them are going good.

Only thing it could be is a frost pocket--very detrimental--or too much fertilizer. My bet would be frost pocket. And, remember sawtooths are red oaks so a freeze this year will take out this year's young acorns and next years by killing this year's blooms. Nothing more frustrating than sawtooth oaks planted in frost pockets. Trust me. Far as other things--you have plenty of light, plenty of space, and plenty of age on the trees.

When my dad and I bought the first piece of our property, the previous owners had half-heartedly planted some sawtooths in some of the food plots years before. I would imagine they are 12-15 years old now, with 3-5 trees planted together in each field. When we closed on the property, I noticed that although they were large trees (6-8"+ bases) they had never really been cared for (they were bushy) so I pruned them heavily. In the six years that we've owned the property, I've never noticed more than a couple of acorns on them, and most of them have never produced. They are certainly large enough to do so. Have any of you experience anything like this? I have zero idea where these trees came from. I have friends that have sawtooths that are younger and they RAIN acorns every fall.

Would it be possible to graft more productive sawtooth scions onto the trunks of some of these trees? I've never heard of grafting oaks, so excuse my ignorance if it isn't possible, and I know grafting onto a large tree has its own difficulties anyways. Just curious about what to do. These trees get plenty of sun, rain, and fertilizer since they are all in food plots.

I can relate. I’ve got around 30 sawtooth oaks planted on my property in East Texas. Some are gobbler variety, some where planted as 2-3 year old trees, and some came from a nursery in S.Carolina I believe back in 2002. 18 years later I don’t think I’ve seen any of my trees make more than a handful of acorns. Some of them are crowded by other trees but I figured they would at least make a few acorns. Some of the trees now are 40-50’ tall and tower over nearby trees. Maybe next year ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it’s the southern climate? Hardly had any temps below freezing past few years.. trees seem to really grow but do not make fruit

94c927a4f96d58018a74b193335fb99e.jpg

My trees get that size and don't produce.....I'm gonna be pi$$ed! I have seen first hand that soil conditions and care can have a huge impact on sawtooth growth....none of mine have reached a size of producing mast yet. I have some...all planted at the same time....some a knee high and others are pushing 6 feet tall....again, different soils, different levels of care.

My trees get that size and don't produce.....I'm gonna be pi$$ed! I have seen first hand that soil conditions and care can have a huge impact on sawtooth growth....none of mine have reached a size of producing mast yet. I have some...all planted at the same time....some a knee high and others are pushing 6 feet tall....again, different soils, different levels of care.

No doubt! How old are your Sawtooth? I was excited when I had planted these trees 15 years ago. Played in my head many times, trees loaded with large,sweet acorns raining down while I sit on a tree stand. Year 10 had me scratching my head. The next year, the same. Now, I just marvel at the trees growth. Still holding out hope that one day they will start producing bumper crops.But it does go to show that nothing is guaranteed and just because one tree produces at 8 years, different trees, different growing conditions, climate all have a say

Back