Uniform Planting Clover and Brassica Seed

William Allis

Clover and Brassica seed is so small we have a hard time getting uniform coverage. There is no way we can justify a Brillion or Woods seeder. Our largest plots are 1/2 acre We use a "belly grinder" and just can't get uniform coverage. I have asked this question before and nobody has posted a "sure fire" method. I am not satisfied with the quality of the seeders we've bought and that could be adding to our problem. What are you using and liking?

Thanks,

Bill

I use an Earthway and Solo spreader.

When broadcasting small seed I just crack the opening and try to broadcast half of the seed over the entire plot. Then I walk the plot perpendicular to my previous course, spreading the last half of the seed.

I also get accurate measurements of all plots and write them down so I don’t forget. And then I weigh all my seed being broadcasted to the appropriate seed is being put down.

What jlane35 said. And don't mix clover and brassica seed in a belly grinder because of the different size seeds. Set the gate with a 6D nail for clover, 10D nail for radishes, 8D nail for rape. Hand spinner seeders were much better quality 50 years ago when they were made with a wooden box frame, I was consistently seeding 6 acre clover fields at 8 years old, those old ones had smoother gears and more centrifugal weight to keep them spinning smoother.

Now, I think I'd be pulling a $100 cart seeder with my garden tractor before I'd walk it with a junk hand seeder, although there's some better ones on the market. My go-to for broadcasting is my ATV with the Herd spinner and it is very accurate and trouble free.

So my first choice if i didn't have a grain drill I'd buy a Herd 77ATV seeder:
https://kascomfg.com/herd-broadcast-seeders-spreaders/

And I think I'd buy one of these if I could afford it at $845.99
https://www.ruralking.com/king-kutter-5-bushel-pull-behind-spreader-s-atv

Last edited:
I use an Earthway and Solo spreader.

When broadcasting small seed I just crack the opening and try to broadcast half of the seed over the entire plot. Then I walk the plot perpendicular to my previous course, spreading the last half of the seed.

I also get accurate measurements of all plots and write them down so I don’t forget. And then I weigh all my seed being broadcasted to the appropriate seed is being put down.
I use this method when I have time. When I don’t, I try to adjust the seed (by feel) so it’s done in one pass. I try to space 8’ between passes. With feel, you can get to a rhythm that’s repeatable. I try to set the spreader to the right amount of seed, then reduce it by a 1/3 because my natural tendency is about 1/3 heavier than necessary.

So I use a small hand held spreader for small plots (I think mine is a Scotts brand Handy Green 2 hand spreader). Many of my small plots have trees in them so it's just easier (vs me running into trees and cages and the like with a piece of equipment). I also like a lower setting on my spreader - I would prefer to have a lighter setting and have to walk an overlapping pattern vs have too high a setting and get 3/4 thru your plot and run out of seed (been there, done that). Another trick is to NOT mix grossly different sized seeds. If you mix a large seed with a small seed the smaller seed will flow out at a higher rate than the larger seed will (not sure if this is an issue - put a small sample of your mixed seed into an empty and dry 2 liter bottle and fill it1/4 to 1/2 way up - put the cap on it and leave it level but shake it...the smaller seed will separate and move to the bottom with the larger seed on top. This can/will happen in your spreader as well and you may not even know it. So mixing things like radish (a larger seed) and clover (very small seed) can cause this. Spread them separately in the same plot. This also allows you to tailor the plot seeding...incase you want a particular plant say closer to your stand or the like.

That link for the funnel spreader looks funny to me. There's no way that should sell for $99.99 on a legitimate site. Click the home button on that site and it takes you to a page selling woman's purses and stuff. Please don't buy something from that site.

When I seed tiny seeds I use a chest grinder too. I just do what they said and try to use about half the seed in one direction and the other half walking perpendicular to the first. And, even though they look close to the same, I've learned to segregate my seeds. It means a lot more walking. But I can use the extra steps.

What jlane35 said. And don't mix clover and brassica seed in a belly grinder because of the different size seeds. Set the gate with a 6D nail for clover, 10D nail for radishes, 8D nail for rape. Hand spinner seeders were much better quality 50 years ago when they were made with a wooden box frame, I was consistently seeding 6 acre clover fields at 8 years old, those old ones had smoother gears and more centrifugal weight to keep them spinning smoother.

Now, I think I'd be pulling a $100 cart seeder with my garden tractor before I'd walk it with a junk hand seeder, although there's some better ones on the market. My go-to for broadcasting is my ATV with the Herd spinner and it is very accurate and trouble free.

So my first choice if i didn't have a grain drill I'd buy a Herd 77ATV seeder:
https://kascomfg.com/herd-broadcast-seeders-spreaders/

And I think I'd buy one of these if I couldn't afford a herd atv seeder:
https://haydd.com/products/kutter-king-seeder-spreader-atv

Good info on the Herd Spreader. I’ve been looking for something besides my earth way hand spreader for my larger plots. I was thinking about the 3 pt spreader for the tractor for the larger instead of the atv model. The Ranger with a top sure is more comfortable than the tractor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good info on the Herd Spreader. I’ve been looking for something besides my earth way hand spreader for my larger plots. I was thinking about the 3 pt spreader for the tractor for the larger instead of the atv model. The Ranger with a top sure is more comfortable than the tractor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My son and I just got back from spreading rye on two 1 acre clover plots tonight with the Herd GT-77-ATV spreader mounted on the front of a 700 Grizzly, which is an interesting story in itself. We usually use a 450 Kodiak with the Herd spinner, but circumstance had us taking the Grizzly, totally forgetting that the wiring harness was to short to reach the plug on the front of the Griz. So there we were, way outback miles from anywhere, with 450 lbs of rye and a seeder that didn't work. Then my son says, Dad why don't we mount the seeder on the front? I said, that's a great idea, since it's your turn to run the seeder, and I have an unused covid mask in the truck to use for a dust mask. He had a little bit of rye seed in his hair and each one of his pockets till it was finished, but to me at a distance it looked like it worked beautifully.
Anyway, I do like my Herd seeder for broadcasting any size seeds, it is light years ahead of walking with a hand crank seeder.

That link for the funnel spreader looks funny to me. There's no way that should sell for $99.99 on a legitimate site. Click the home button on that site and it takes you to a page selling woman's purses and stuff. Please don't buy something from that site.

When I seed tiny seeds I use a chest grinder too. I just do what they said and try to use about half the seed in one direction and the other half walking perpendicular to the first. And, even though they look close to the same, I've learned to segregate my seeds. It means a lot more walking. But I can use the extra steps.
Thanks for the heads up on the bad site, it sounded too cheap to be true! I fixed the link, now it's $845.99 :(

Back