Turkey plot

I think the generic answer is clover maybe winter rye because they green up fast in spring and the theory is that is where bugs are.

In practice that didn't seem to work well for me at least. I didn't notice more turkeys in my clover plot versus when other stuff was planted there.

I've had my best draw with clover. Problem is turkey season is early spring so not really anything you can plant that will have seed heads. Most of your fall planted grains will just be coming out of dormancy.

I've killed several turkey ok clover plots. Not just the insects but they actually love the clover. I know some people plant chufa but I have no experience with it.

I hunted over a ten acre clover field for ag production, but killed the three birds I was a part of over LC mix in the spring. I watched birds cut straight across the alfalfa and clover straight into the LC mix every morning. Winter rye seems to be pretty powerful here in Illinois for deer and turkey

The same as planted for deer or cattle....no special bird provisions.

Insects in fields are key for summer turkey habitat....grasshoppers mainly.

When planting fall plots I always leave a 10 ft strip of bare dirt along one edge. Mid day birds seem to love these dusty strutting lanes for some reason. Also they are a great "at a glance" scouting tool during deer season. A quick drive by shows all the deer tracks coming and going.

When planting fall plots I always leave a 10 ft strip of bare dirt along one edge. Mid day birds seem to love these dusty strutting lanes for some reason. Also they are a great "at a glance" scouting tool during deer season. A quick drive by shows all the deer tracks coming and going.

That's almost cheating !!

Back