Triple C's Place

Triple C

Triple C's found a new home! Thanks Todd and others that got this thing started so fast! Thought I would start my new land thread with this week's visit to the farm and then add a few pics from the beginning years our land journey to keep it in chronological order. Left for the farm about 10:45 Friday afternoon and made the 2 hour drive from NW metro Atlanta to the middle of nowhere between Athens and Augusta. I like being in the middle of nowhere. As you QDMA guys know, we just finished thinning our pines. We had to remove part of our entrance fence and gate to accommodate the logging trucks and equipment. As I turned into the entrance I was welcomed with the fence replaced and new gate installed. 20 ft wide to accommodate future logging operations! Brooks never sends pics or even tells me when he's doing stuff. I just show up and find it. I got no problem with that!
Entrance gate.jpg

Made my way up to the cabin and another improvement noticed - Upgrade to our fire pit. Fire pit previously was directly in front of the cabin. Brooks moved it a little more than a year ago over the the corner of the cabin. Wife and daughter just never really liked it over that as it was on a slight grade and not level with no rock around the pit. Problem solved. Area around fire pit had been leveled with back fill and nice rock placed around the perimeter of pit. Nice to have a son in the grading / landscaping biz! Pit is the end of a propane tank with a grate on top that swivels out of the way to load wood. Be grilling a few venison backstraps on this thing come fall.
Firepit.jpg

Updated pic of new growth in thinned pines. This time last year this would have been a clean pine-straw laden ground cover with very little vegetation. 7 months after first thinning of pines we have an explosion of new native browse everywhere in the thinned pines.
Growth in pines.jpg

This field was used as a logging deck during timber harvest. I just assumed our clover would be shot after heavy logging equipment ran back and forth thru this field. We've had plenty of rain the past month and the white clover around the perimeter of this field is bouncing back beyond my expectation.
Bean field clover.jpg

Speaking of native browse...each year I get a kick out of finding pokeberry that just gets hammered by deer. Many say deer never touch it on their place. On our place, for the most part they don't either. But there's always quite a few individual plants that just keep getting hammered as long as new growth is being put on. Here's a pic of a pokeberry plant or poke salad as we call it down south that is only about 3 ft tall due to the deer constantly browsing.
Poke Berry.jpg

After having late frosts pretty much wipe out our pear fruit for the past couple of years I'm pleased to report that our kieffer pear trees have decent fruit on them this year. The orient variety has 0 fruit. I'll take what we got!
Poke Berry.jpg
Sorry...wrong pic. Here's the pears.
Pears.jpg

Rain is a fickle thing in the summer time. Many around us are in near drought conditions. Call it luck, fate or divine providence...but we have been so fortunate for the past month to catch regular afternoon thunderstorms on our farm this year. We were extremely dry from March thru early June but since then we've made up the deficit on rain fall. Here's a pic from "Farm Logs" regarding rainfall on our farm. We are just shy of being back to normal on the 10 year average.
Rainfall.jpg

This past week I celebrated my 60th birthday. Saturday, my two sisters, niece and most of our family gathered at the farm for a "chicken grillin". Always nice to have extended family down. After dinner, my wife presented us with my favorite dessert - homemade pound cake. That woman can flat out bake an off-the-charts pound cake! Had a piece or two for breakfast this morning as well...
Birthday pic.jpg

And finally...the reason we're all on this site. Couple of pics of one of our decent bucks on the property this summer.
Tall Tines I.jpg
Tall Tines II.jpg

That's it for now. Wow...posting pics is easy on this site. Thanks Todd for making this happen!!! Looking forward to reading and sharing with all you guys in the weeks and months to come! Happy trails from the Triple C Farm...

Happy birthday AC!! How are you planning to manage your pines going forward? I got quotes on spraying the hardwoods that inevitably will come up and it is more than it's worth in my opinion. My forester recommended a burning rotation starting next spring so that's my plan. I'll wait until the sweetgums just start to break bud then burn to try to kill them by boiling the sap!

Thx guys! Great to see all of the regulars on here. Let's keep spreading the word and get some new guys on board as well. Native Hunter...been chasing you all over the forums cause I knew wherever you landed I was landing in the same place. Got to have somebody that can i.d. any plant in the country and need the barn pic fix from time to time as well...

Tommy - as for managing pines going forward, we will introduce the 1st thinned pines to fire next year and same as you..just as those sweet gums break bud we will run fire thru the pines. Burned older stand in 2015 and won't burn that stand again until early 2018. Seems I have a hard time with enough fuel on the ground for burning every 2 years. Prolly won't spray the 1st thinned pines. Gonna wait and run fire thru it and expect a good kill on hardwood stems popping up.

Gonna jump back in time and add a few pics and commentary from the time when I purchased this place in 2011. For all my QDMA pals this section will be a bit boring since it's a replay to some degree of my previous thread on the QDMA site. But, I'd like to add pics from previous years in hope's that this thread will be here for many years. Kinda like an online journal to keep up with all we've done.

Property and Cabin
Closed on property in Jan. 2011 and then a year later, bought adjoining tract. Total acreage is 287 acres. Property consists of mix of planted pine and hardwoods with a section of bottom land that hosts beaver ponds and wetlands. Elevation is 600 ft at highest point where our cabin is located and drops down to just under 500 ft where wetlands and bottom land is located. Highest point is on north end of property. Neighbor to west is a cattle farmer with 110 acres and no structures. Neighbor to east is former commercial hunting operation converted to farming with 1350 acres. South neighbor is 1000 acre absentee owner that leases his land. North neighbor is 350 acres that is leased to hunting club. All around...great neighbors on all sides. 2 creeks that border my property on east and south side. Beaver sloughs and wetlands in the southern and southeastern section.

Over the years I've received a bunch of requests for info on main cabin. It's a 50' x 30' pole barn with a 12' porch across front. Walls are 12'. Living space 34' x 30' with vaulted ceiling. Storage area is 16' x 30' with double garage door. Here's a pic of finished cabin and living area.
Hunting Lodge.jpg

Living area inside cabin
Cabin Interior.jpg

Property from google earth prior taken in Nov 2014.
Triple C Farm.jpg

Property features. Blue are beaver ponds and wetlands area.
Property Features.jpg

Guest cabin
Guest cabin.jpg

Shop and equipment building
Equpment shed enclosed.jpg

BBQ pavilion and skinning shed
Pavilion poured.jpg

Skinning shed.jpg

Aerial of cabin area.
Aerial of cabins.jpg

Attachments

• Equip Shed.jpg
    Equip Shed.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 0
Food Plots...
Here's the names of our food plots:
Cabin field
Bean Field
Dustin's Plot
Horseshoe Plot
Orchard Plot
Upper Lower Plot that connects to Lower Lower Plot
Hourglass Plot

Plots that get the most attention are the bean field plot, upper lower / lower lower and hour glass. These are our largest and primary plots. I subscribe to Paul Knox's view that bigger is better. We keep expanding the plots just mentioned with the idea of having 1 plot per 80 acres large enough to host multiple doe groups. I know a lot of you guys like lots of smaller or micro plots in addition to destination plots. We have several smaller plots, less than 1/2 acre but we spend the most effort on the 3 largest. Here's a few pics during growing season of the different plots.

Bean Field Plot
This is our largest plot. It was about 4 acres. We just clear-cut the southern during out thinning operation and also expanded the sides of this plot. It will end up being somewhere around 5.5 acres. Brooks counted 16 deer in this plot the last day of last season. Lots of doe(s) use this plot which means bucks come cruising during the rut. Dustin harvested his largest buck with a bow in this plot during the 2014 season.
Bean field.jpg

Dustin's Plot
This plot is about 1/3 acre. We usually plant in rye grain. It has a good stand of white clover in it right now from adding that to rye last fall. We've never harvested a buck from this plot. Grandson took his 1st doe in 2012 from this plot.
Dustin's plot.jpg

Horseshoe Plot
This is about a 1/4 acre plot that has some of the best soil on the property. It sits atop a knoll just north of a beaver slough and just north of about 35 acres of bottomland hardwoods and wetlands. We've never harvested a buck from this plot, prolly cause it seldom gets hunted.
Horseshoe Plot.jpg

Hourglass Plot
4 of the 8 bucks we've taken from the property since 2012 have came out of this plot. It is about 1.5 acres in size since our last timber thinning. It is located in thrice thinned pines that are 27 years old. Lots of native growth in the pines. It has a natural sanctuary to the south made up of wetlands and our largest beaver pond and a creek drainage to the east. During the summer, we get more bachelor group pics from this spot than any other area on the property.
Hour Glass I.jpg

Upper Lower and Lower Lower Plots
Prettiest place on the property. Total length of this plot is about 900 feet from north to south. Very narrow in the upper section. Bordered on the east and west by mature hardwoods and on the south by bottom land hardwoods and beaver pond. Southeast section of lower lower is bordered by wetlands. You can't sit on this plot in late fall and not see multiple deer. Strangely enough, we've never taken a buck from this plot. But, it's not always about shooting something. Aesthetics adds to the beauty of this area. I love sitting anywhere on this plot in late November and all thru December.
Aerial of UL:LL Plots.jpgUpper Lower-1.jpg

Lower Lower looking north.jpg

View from the stand from lower lower
View from lower lower stand.jpg

View from stand of upper lower
View from Stand U:L.jpg

That's all for me on day one of posting to this great new site! Thanks for following. I'll continue to post catch up pics in the coming days and start to catch up on you guys new threads.

Hi AC, you've got the pictures going on, are you uploading from a url?
G

George - I save my pics to my desktop on the MacBook and then upload. I save at large size rather than actual size and I choose medium quality. So far I've had no issues with uploading doing this. I tried to upload directly from my photos but file size was too large. Same as the old forum. There's prolly an easier way to upload pics rather than saving to desk top but that works for me.

Glad this thread found it's way over!

I am a couple of hours east of you and we have very similar properties so I have always enjoyed following along.

Well I'm signing on so I will be around when you post a picture of those breakfast biscuit. I think we could put a big slice of tomato in one of those biscuits and that would be a meal. Good to see your beautiful pictures, and I know the work Brooks has done to get the place looking like that. And the rest of you have helped some too.

P.S. Looks like you have some southern dog fennel in those thinned pines

Enjoyed the refresher course! If you son needs a step dad then send him my way--he's a hard working man.

Clover is one tough plant!

Place looks great
todd

Well I'm signing on so I will be around when you post a picture of those breakfast biscuit. I think we could put a big slice of tomato in one of those biscuits and that would be a meal. Good to see your beautiful pictures, and I know the work Brooks has done to get the place looking like that. And the rest of you have helped some too.

P.S. Looks like you have some southern dog fennel in those thinned pines
One day we share a biscuit with a slice of lakngulf mater! As for the dog fennel, we definitely have a surplus here. Prolly the most common weed on our place.

Back