Tree Tube for Bald Cypress?

cutman

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone ever tubed a bald cypress seedling or something similar? The main purpose would be protection from rubbing.

I've only ever tubed hardwoods and fruit trees.

Some of my bald cypress in traffic areas were browsed this year. But i am still not going to tube them unless they just cant get ahead in future years. They do like rubbing them though. Still, ive only got so many tubes, so the cypress just dont make the cut this year.

Has anyone ever tubed a bald cypress seedling or something similar? The main purpose would be protection from rubbing.

I've only ever tubed hardwoods and fruit trees.
Some of my bald cypress in traffic areas were browsed this year. But i am still not going to tube them unless they just cant get ahead in future years. They do like rubbing them though. Still, ive only got so many tubes, so the cypress just dont make the cut this year.

What wildlife value does a bald cypress have? I know very well what they are........I have just never understood the value of a deciduous conifer. I know they love water and they can get HUGE! Is there something about them from a wildlife perspective that I am missing?

I'm not trying to say planting them is dumb, so please don't take it that way.....I'm trying to learn something from folks that are or have planted them so I can only assume they see some value to them.

Wildlife eat the seeds, but they also provide valuable nesting habitat to wood ducks. The SC Lowcountry is famous for cypress swamps...they thrive here. They are also beautiful.

What wildlife value does a bald cypress have? I know very well what they are........I have just never understood the value of a deciduous conifer. I know they love water and they can get HUGE! Is there something about them from a wildlife perspective that I am missing?

I'm not trying to say planting them is dumb, so please don't take it that way.....I'm trying to learn something from folks that are or have planted them so I can only assume they see some value to them.
My 40 has 8 small waterholes with several holding water year round. When i bought the property the banks were lined with willows and boxelder. I continue to cut those trees down, kill them with herbicide, and then plant bald cypres to take their place. Just a much more valuable tree to grow where nothing else of any value really wants to grow.
What is that value with a bald cypress? They will grow in the standing water, which benefits the spring woodies that i see there. They are fast growing and beautiful. And though they are deciduous, they are filthy with branches, adding to the cover.

I have a low area in the bottoms that holds water from winter through spring. I am going to plant a dozen or so in that spot this next spring.
If i didnt have habitually wet areas, i wouldnt plant them. And ive thinned some over the years. They make great rot resistant posts for no hunting signs.:D

I ended up tubing them. Hope enough light can get through to them in the woods. I will cut some gums down to open up the canopy more.

df4482a8a198070c18ba836218707021.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I am worried about beavers in a couple ponds by the river. Probably worth tubing a few there. Nice scene there, Cutman.

Back