Top-working Persimmons

KSQ2

I would like to do some grafting this year in our back pasture. We have both male and female persimmons. Like most, we have more male trees and only one small grove of females. Could someone please give me a link or tell me the basics of how to do this successfully? I don't even know if I need to do this when they're dormant, like I'm assuming. I thought I'd found a thread on here last year with details, but for the life of me, I can't find it now.

1. Cut scions well before they get a green tip and start budding out. The middle of next month wouldn't be a bad time, but two weeks before they bud out would be better. I like to start with fresh scions, but they do need to be dormant.
2. Store in the fridge (but not freezer) in a plastic bag with damp paper towel. You can also wax the cut ends if you want, but I don't usually do that.
3. Let the host tree start leafing out. It needs to be coming out of dormancy really well so that the bark slips well when cut and stripped back.
4. Do persimmons just like you would apples, except that it happens later on. Apples come out of dormancy sooner.
5. Bark grafting is my favorite method but cleft grafting works too.
6. There are several good videos on Youtube.

Good Luck....

Last edited:
I got some scions cut and in the fridge. I ordered some pruning sealer. Do I need a special type of tape?

I got some scions cut and in the fridge. I ordered some pruning sealer. Do I need a special type of tape?

Just electrical tape. I recommend making one run with the sticky side facing outward. This keeps it from peeling the bark off when you remove it later. Over that second run you can turn the sticky side down and really put on the pressure. A good tight seal in the beginning is important.

Of equal importance is aftercare. Persimmon is adamant about pushing shoots from the roostock, and unless you're diligent about keeping them rubbed off - probably need to check 'em once or twice a week for the entire first growing season - they'll rapidly divert all resources to pushing growth on rootstock shoots, at the expense of the grafted scion... which will decline and die off.

I took this pic a couple nights ago of one of our male persimmons. Is it far enough along with spring growth to go ahead and top work some of them?

240B888C-FC06-4091-B8E6-9F90276D42F1.jpeg

Almost time for Steve's annual picture tutorial on male/female persimmon flowers

bill

It’s going to be a while Bill. The cold weather has everything moving slower here this year. I’ve seen a few persimmons that are barely making leaves yet. Darn global warming..........

Back