Time to evict the blackberries

Clover is also very versatile, below is an existing Clover patch that i frost seeded oats into.
410f15b7b02cb1e0e6332d26efbf0601.jpg

Last edited:
Clover is also very versatile, below is an existing Clover patch that i frost seeded oats into.
410f15b7b02cb1e0e6332d26efbf0601.jpg

I may end up there eventually. In the process of increasing OM and PH and eradicating blackberries and saplings for now. I do have one “clean” plot I could probably convert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reviving an old thread as I'm looking to evict some blackberries as well.

Some background, I picked up a timber track last year and was so excited to see blackberries on the stand. Initially I just saw a few patches, so I thought they weren't that big of an issue and who doesn't like blackberries. That is until I found out they aren't limited to a few spots and those thorns cause me a horrible reaction, making poison ivy seem tolerable. Thus, this post :)

The track has a sweetgum issue as well, so I was going testing Hack and Squirt later this year with Garlon 4. Would that be a good herbicide for blackberries as well? I'm thinking if it is, that while I go throughout the stand with Hack and Squirt to spot treat the blackberry patches as I come across them.

Reviving an old thread as I'm looking to evict some blackberries as well.

Some background, I picked up a timber track last year and was so excited to see blackberries on the stand. Initially I just saw a few patches, so I thought they weren't that big of an issue and who doesn't like blackberries. That is until I found out they aren't limited to a few spots and those thorns cause me a horrible reaction, making poison ivy seem tolerable. Thus, this post :)

The track has a sweetgum issue as well, so I was going testing Hack and Squirt later this year with Garlon 4. Would that be a good herbicide for blackberries as well? I'm thinking if it is, that while I go throughout the stand with Hack and Squirt to spot treat the blackberry patches as I come across them.

sweetgum, imazapyr 4 sl, dead, no testing required.

G

12"+ sweetgum treated last summer with 4ml 10% chemical solution imazapyr 4 sl. Triclopyr 4, been there, done that, a lot of chemical and a lot of diesel being dumped in the woods while you walk in an volatized ester cloud of chemical that will make you noxious.

IMG_3519 (1200 x 900).jpg

IMG_3520 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Last edited:
I am trying to kill blackberry in NWSG

Several years ago I hired a guy with a nice spray rig and sprayed blackberry in NWSGs with Remedy Ultra. It looked like an incredible kill. They were bowing their heads before the day was over, and I was blackberry free for 3 years. Then they started coming back, and now I’m back where I started.

Several years ago I hired a guy with a nice spray rig and sprayed blackberry in NWSGs with Remedy Ultra. It looked like an incredible kill. They were bowing their heads before the day was over, and I was blackberry free for 3 years. Then they started coming back, and now I’m back where I started.

I know you don’t do much burning, but would burning annually help? I know it almost impossible to know for sure, but continually killing top growth may eventually deplete its energy reserves.

I know you don’t do much burning, but would burning annually help? I know it almost impossible to know for sure, but continually killing top growth may eventually deplete its energy reserves.

One neighbor who has NWSGs and burns says it won't get rid of them for long. They will come back from the roots. Another neighbor feels that it works better than mowing them but still doesn't eliminate them.

The mowing and spot spraying I do is working pretty well at keeping them from taking over. I still have more than I want, but it isn't an insurmountable problem.

In the meantime I’m enjoying some cobbler.
IMG_4301.jpeg
IMG_4299.jpeg

Last edited:
One neighbor who has NWSGs and burns says it won't get rid of them for long. They will come back from the roots. Another neighbor feels that it works better than mowing them but still doesn't eliminate them.

The mowing and spot spraying I do is working pretty well at keeping them from taking over. I still have more than I want, but it isn't an insurmountable problem.

In the meantime I’m enjoying some cobbler.
View attachment 28138
View attachment 28139

Yeah, unlike some things at least they are delicious!

In my experience burning during the growing season can help control but not eradicate blackberries. It normally takes me a couple of burns over a 2-3 year span to really set them back. Burning in the dormant season, which would be ideal for NWSG, seemed to help propagate blackberry on my farm. If they were in a spot I wanted to have a food plot I’d spray them.

12"+ sweetgum treated last summer with 4ml 10% chemical solution imazapyr 4 sl. Triclopyr 4, been there, done that, a lot of chemical and a lot of diesel being dumped in the woods while you walk in an volatized ester cloud of chemical that will make you noxious.

View attachment 28123

View attachment 28124

G

I can't tell by the picture the cuts you performed to the trunk. Do you just hack it every 4 - 6 inches? Looks like imazapyr 4 sl works for blackberries as well. I just need to find out what % would recommend for that, so I don't have to go into the woods with multiple herbicides :)

I can't tell by the picture the cuts you performed to the trunk. Do you just hack it every 4 - 6 inches? Looks like imazapyr 4 sl works for blackberries as well. I just need to find out what % would recommend for that, so I don't have to go into the woods with multiple herbicides :)

label calls for 1ml for every 3" dbh. A little tree, 1 hack. 6" tree, 2 hacks. 9-10" tree, 3 hacks. Big tree, 4-6 hacks. Other plants call for a greatly reduced concentration. Google imazapyr herbicide label.

G

I also grow double cropping blackberries at home. Below you see the floricane crop that is fruiting now and the primocane crop that is currently developing for the fall.

IMG_4306.jpeg

Back