"Throw and mow" lime??

GonHuntin

Haven't seen this question asked.

My property is over an hour from home and I will probably only be able to get a tractor up there once this year due to time and health issues.

I was thinking about getting a lime truck to spread lime on my plots in the next couple of weeks, spraying gly just before or after, followed by mowing, discing and planting a couple of weeks later. I would hope that rain would settle the lime before mowing.

Has anyone ever spread lime on a plot before mowing??

Depends on how much lime you are spreading and how much rain you get. If you are planning on discing it will be fine. If not the pH might be a little high if you have to add a bunch of lime. Discing your plan will work fine.

The best time to spread lime is 6-18 months ago...the next best time is whenever you can get to it. If your pH is real low (<5.5) you might want to consider using a reduced amount of fertilizer this year, but otherwise just do whatchya can with whatchya got. :)

Spray gly before you spread lime. Can be just before. The calcium in the lime weakens the effect of gly. If you need to spray after spreading lime, a rain will wash off any lime on the plants and then you can spray gly.

Spray gly before you spread lime. Can be just before. The calcium in the lime weakens the effect of gly. If you need to spray after spreading lime, a rain will wash off any lime on the plants and then you can spray gly.
Agree with this. I don't have any experience with it, but have read it several times.

The best time to spread lime is 6-18 months ago...the next best time is whenever you can get to it. If your pH is real low (<5.5) you might want to consider using a reduced amount of fertilizer this year, but otherwise just do whatchya can with whatchya got. :)

Curious as to why less fertilizer if you have lower pH?

A lower PH significantly limits the plants ability to utilize any fetilizer you put down. I know there are others that can explain it far better than I can.

A lower PH significantly limits the plants ability to utilize any fetilizer you put down. I know there are others that can explain it far better than I can.

Actually, that about covers it. If a guy only has a certain amount of money to buy lime and fertilizer, he's better off buying the full amount of lime needed and a minimal amount of fertilizer than he is doing it the other way around.

Actually, that about covers it. If a guy only has a certain amount of money to buy lime and fertilizer, he's better off buying the full amount of lime needed and a minimal amount of fertilizer than he is doing it the other way around.
It's pretty complicated. I know every time a commercially produced N source like urea is used, the soil pH is lowered. When chicken litter is used, it helps buffer low soil pH levels and the nutrients in the litter can be used even in low pH soil. I've read the explanation before but probably didn't understand it completely then because it's real science-y. Maybe Doug will see this and try to explain it again. I'm pretty sure it's better to use chicken litter alone if one only has enough money for either chicken litter, or lime.

I prefer mowing prior to spreading. That way, once the lime is spread, I don't have to lose x amount of it to the dust bowl effect while simultaneously turning everything around into a winter wonderland

Back