Think I need some serious apple tree help

g squared 23

Ok, I am less than a newbie when it comes to managing fruit trees. Backstory: I ordered several apple and pear trees when I was living out of state for my in-laws to plant at their farm. They graciously planted them for me so they could have a head start by the time I would be moving back. As a result, I have no idea which tree is which, and didn't have the foresight to takes notes or ask at the time. So I have several apple trees of varieties that I like to eat, rather than what are disease resistant or good for deer.

Anyway, I have tried to at least keep them weed free the last two years, but haven't done anything other than applying mulch and spraying gly around them to reduce weed competition. As I was doing said grunt work today, I noticed several of the trees have a white, almost fungal growth on parts of the leaves, and this is where I need serious help.

I am simply going to post pics of all of my fruit trees so I don't miss anything. Please comment on what you all think the white growth could be, what I need to do, and any other concerns you have. Interstingly enough (although maybe not surprisingly), the trees that I believe to be pears (#'s 9&10) show no sign of this white growth.

Thank you in advance.

I'm particularly worried about #3, but several of them seem to share this condition. It's been really warm and wet lately, so my guess would be a fungal infection. Again, any and all insight would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that is debris left over by some insect. I'd spray your trees with liquid sevin. This winter do a little pruning to allow better airflow through the trees that need it.

I don't think that is a fungus but hopefully someone with more tree experience will chime in.

Todd

I would say fungal as well, but I don't have much experience with apple trees.

I recommended this to another poster about brassicas, but it's relevant to this topic as well. Most large state universities have extension offices to help with issues like this, and they are free to tax payers.

I email the peach expert at Clemson numerous times a year, and he has helped me very quickly every time. Sometimes photos alone are enough, sometimes he asks me to send in soil samples and/or plant tissue samples.

If you have a resource like this available I would look into it. In the meantime, hopefully someone here can help.

Wooly apple aphid looks to be the problem. M111 is said to be resistant....should have bought a better rootstock. S***.

No--that is good that it is resistant. The variety of apple that is grafted to the M111 might not be resistant--or only partially resistant. I don't know the pathology of that certain aphid but having a dz resistant root stock is a good thing.

No--that is good that it is resistant. The variety of apple that is grafted to the M111 might not be resistant--or only partially resistant. I don't know the pathology of that certain aphid but having a dz resistant root stock is a good thing.

I didn't mention that I have read time and again M111 is one of the better rootstocks and I more or less gambled by not seeking this one out, instead going with a tree that I liked to eat. I do not unfortunately have M111s, they are simply the "semi-dwarf" stock that stark bros supplies. Oh well, this is a good lesson to learn.

M111 is a semi-dwarf. Do you have any idea what root stock it is?? Looks to be a very mild case. I would think any fruit / vegetable insect spray would kill it. Neem Oil is good at smothering aphid eggs. You just need to do a little research.

Woolly aphid for sure. Generally dont get severe enough to cause any significant damage. Sevin will kill them.

Looks like your apples could use a shot of fertilizer next spring as they are lacking vigor, but also looks like the deer are browsing them. Most of larger openings on that style of woven wire fence are large enough to allow a anterless deer to stick their head through. I would suggest widening the cages when you have time. You can cut our those root suckers and any growth close to the ground now. Also dont forget to protect those bases before winter or the mice and rabbits are going to cause you havoc.

Last edited:
Woolly aphid for sure. Generally dont get severe enough to cause any significant damage. Sevin will kill them.

Looks like your apples could use a shot of fertilizer next spring as they are lacking vigor, but also looks like the deer are browsing them. Most of larger openings on that style of woven wire fence are large enough to allow a anterless deer to stick their head through. I would suggest widening the cages when you have time. You can cut our those root suckers and any growth close to the ground now. Also dont forget to protect those bases before winter or the mice and rabbits are going to cause you havoc.
Turkey Creek nailed it !

Back