The REAL mushroom season

KDdid

1fc6b8d6cfb35d83e69e96284a1e0497.jpg

I'm really more into the "other" mushrooms nowadays, to the point that I don't get super excited about morels anymore. When July rolls around, Chanterelles kick off what I consider the best mushroom hunting, with several species that I chase right through deer season.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

1fc6b8d6cfb35d83e69e96284a1e0497.jpg

I'm really more into the "other" mushrooms nowadays, to the point that I don't get super excited about morels anymore. When July rolls around, Chanterelles kick off what I consider the best mushroom hunting, with several species that I chase right through deer season.

Where do you typically find them. Ridge tops? Bottoms? Decaying logs?

Where do you typically find them. Ridge tops? Bottoms? Decaying logs?
Mixed oak forest, around decaying logs. My best spot was logged years ago and the tops were left to rot in place. In my zone they start in late June, and I have photos from last year showing my best hauls in September.

Mixed oak forest, around decaying logs. My best spot was logged years ago and the tops were left to rot in place. In my zone they start in late June, and I have photos from last year showing my best hauls in September.
They look familiar. Anything else to confuse them with? Thanks for the heads up. I will keep my eyes open.

They look familiar. Anything else to confuse them with? Thanks for the heads up. I will keep my eyes open.
Jack o lanterns. They will grow out of wood, chants will always grow out of soil. Google chanterelle id. There are a couple of things to look for; thick and branched "gills", and how the gills run down the stem.
I still like morels better but love to find and eat chants. It's been very dry here. I've found a few but they were small and dried up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jack o lanterns. They will grow out of wood, chants will always grow out of soil. Google chanterelle id. There are a couple of things to look for; thick and branched "gills", and how the gills run down the stem.
I still like morels better but love to find and eat chants. It's been very dry here. I've found a few but they were small and dried up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Good to know. I looked them up and think i can i.d. them.

I have tons of them, but I have been afraid to try them. Just not one of the mushrooms that my grandpa taught me about. We have black ones as well.

Remember the movie/book, "The Horse Whisperer?" Was that Nicholas Evans who wrote that? Anyway, the author became deathly sick after eating poisonous mushrooms that he mistook for another variety. Liver damage followed. I loved the audio version narrated by Peter Coyote. And i could give a crap about horses. But i love good writing.

It never hurts to be cautious. The gills sit tightly to the underside of the chanterelle and have a unique forked pattern which are easy to recognize with a little practice. They are really mild tasting, and rather delicate , so sautéed with a little garlic and snuggled up to some back straps is my preference. I'm surprised how well they hold up in the fridge- one week on, and they're still going strong. Plus, you gotta love a blaze orange or bright yellow mushroom glowing in green woods!

I love me some chanterelles! In my area of west central Illinois we usually start finding them right about now. It has been very dry and hot but I am gonna give em a go Sunday when the heat breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back