The Massey

Dawna had the main buck we’re after in front of her yesterday evening, but due to a mix-up she didn’t shoot and passed him. She said that won’t happen again if he makes the same mistake. Here’s a pic from the blind
D68D8A9A-49E7-4FF9-91CB-CC35D924440F.jpeg
He’s the big 8 in the above trail cam pic.

Well, the trip out to Western Kansas was a bust, there was tremendous pressure on the public ground, even more than back here around home. I'll probably stick to private ground and the Massey the rest of season. I truly feel sorry for non-res hunters coming to Kansas expecting to have success on public ground. It happens for a few, but not many.

A lot of residents try to use that ground too….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, and I feel sorry for those among residents that have to rely solely on public as well. But usually their expectations, like mine, are more in line with reality.

This is the biggest buck I’ve had under me yet this year. I’ve hunted hard, but mature bucks have been extremely hard to come by. Still time left though! Rifle season begins tomorrow, so I’ll be wearing orange a few days while packing the bow. The girls might get out some during rifle, but the lack of nice bucks has cooled our enthusiasm a little. Going to try to talk them into shooting a couple does. We’ll see…
17A220F4-7BEE-4B66-B74D-07651F407D8C.jpeg

Had a completely shed buck come by me this evening at little house. I’ve never seen that this early before. I’m wondering if the drought has something to do with it?

I’d say yes. Between the stress of the rut and lingering effects of the drought, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see bucks dropping antlers earlier than normal. We had a year awhile back that was similar to what you’ve experienced this year, bucks were dropping very early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still chasing them here in Kansas. I can’t seem to get anything in range but bucks I don’t want to shoot. :rolleyes:
I’ll be after it again tomorrow on my day off. This fella came by yesterday evening, he’s about the best I’ve seen lately. I’m still hoping something older and bigger is still running around.
52E2ECB3-70CA-4DBC-B1E8-2CDD732E1232.jpegHere’s another look at him on the lower barn plot.
56E97CC8-CDBD-4686-9393-28FE94377677.jpeg

Last edited:
I was able to hunt the Massey yesterday evening for the first time in a while. It was a fantastic sit. I saw a total of 16 deer on our property, including some good-looking bucks. They were too far out and it was too late to know for sure if they were shooters. What made the sit so out of the ordinary is the amount of deer I saw just off us to the north. We have permission to hunt the 160 and deer piled off the properties to the west into the bean stubble. 3 for sure shooters got within a hundred yards, but not much closer. There was a tall 10 that would push into the 50s I’m guessing, along with 2 huge-bodied 8s that either would have invited an arrow if closer. There were at least 60 deer on the field when I left. The ongoing drought has deer really keying on the agriculture before shooting light fades. I don’t anticipate another year like this, as hopefully the drought ends.

I was able to hunt the Massey yesterday evening for the first time in a while. It was a fantastic sit. I saw a total of 16 deer on our property, including some good-looking bucks. They were too far out and it was too late to know for sure if they were shooters. What made the sit so out of the ordinary is the amount of deer I saw just off us to the north. We have permission to hunt the 160 and deer piled off the properties to the west into the bean stubble. 3 for sure shooters got within a hundred yards, but not much closer. There was a tall 10 that would push into the 50s I’m guessing, along with 2 huge-bodied 8s that either would have invited an arrow if closer. There were at least 60 deer on the field when I left. The ongoing drought has deer really keying on the agriculture before shooting light fades. I don’t anticipate another year like this, as hopefully the drought ends.

With the drought you had this year, how in the world did you get any beans to make pods? I’m assuming that’s what the deer were after unless you planted grains in the stubble?

With the drought you had this year, how in the world did you get any beans to make pods? I’m assuming that’s what the deer were after unless you planted grains in the stubble?
I would say about 30% of the fields were partially harvested, I’m sure just for crop insurance purposes. The pods on those that produced were short and small with 3 bb-sized beans in them. This made for some good eating for many of the deer, because so many were left standing. With no browse to slow the deer heading to the fields and the congregating of deer around ag, it’s making for some fields full of deer.

I’m watching my cameras intently. Everything still holding here. Supposed to be a cold snap next week. I bet some start hitting the ground soon.

Interesting looking base/pedicel on that one. Looks like "beading" well below the skin line, unless that's actually skull/bone material? I've only seen that once before, and it didn't go all the way around like the one in your pic appears to.20210205_213946 edit.jpg

Interesting looking base/pedicel on that one. Looks like "beading" well below the skin line, unless that's actually skull/bone material? I've only seen that once before, and it didn't go all the way around like the one in your pic appears to.View attachment 24806
Yes I talked to him about that. I was worried about brain abscess. He said it looks more like a concave pedical, since it is so even. Hopefully he’s right. Catscratch on here has had some bad experiences in the last few years with bucks dying from brain abscess. He resides about 80 miles from me.

Found a couple more fresh ones today while pulling stands on the in-law’s. Dawna found the big one, measured close to the magical 70” mark. It’a very tempting to start logging some miles, but we’re gonna hold off a few more weeks before looking in earnest.
4E668590-AF57-4E73-90F8-E75B30E448D8.jpeg
9967646B-A6E6-4CDC-A04C-6D34DE67792B.jpeg

That is a beautiful shed. It surprises me every year when you, Cat, and even Okie sometimes find sheds so much earlier than us. I always thought deer shed earlier the further North.

Back