T&M Without the T

lakngolf

As I mentioned in my Property Thread I have a few plot areas this year that I did not plant but simply mowed a few times to thwart the weeds and let whatever grow (it will primarily be rye grass). I have mowed shooting lanes each year and was amazed at how much the deer grazed them. So this is my T&M method without the T. Lot of green showing up, and some of this is still summer weeds and grasses, but a lot of rye and clover.

xQLglaQ.jpg

Just for kicks I ran the chisel plow down one side to see what would happen. I definitely got more germination and growth there.
o8pTK8k.jpg

4Ixhdnx.jpg

I may be onto something, as this is one of the Stages of DeerHunterForum Member (http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/lak-with-too-much-time-on-his-hands.232/#post-3126)

Capture.JPG

OK, so all of us are constantly evolving and learning from the experiences we have...hopefully. :)

As evolution is wont to do, all sorts of possible avenues are explored; some predictable and some highly illogical. What you've chosen to do, in just mowing what used to be a food plot, will not make sense to many folks trying to manage their land for better wildlife habitat. In a very literal sense, you are doing as little as possible to influence the outcome, so I suspect your expectations have been adjusted accordingly. Your observations are that deer will still spend time in this area, if you do nothing more than mow. How much time they spend there, and to what benefit, are entirely different questions and may not be important to everyone.

With just a little more thought, planning and effort, I believe you can do a lot better. In my personal opinion, you are selling yourself, and your wildlife, short. Whether it's old-field management or strip-discing (see above) there are ways to dial back on the various "inputs", while still providing more than a simple flush of new growth at a time that benefits you, as a sportsman. Plus, as we all know, ryegrass is the DEVIL!! :D

Mowing favors grass. Deer eat relatively little grass; even less when better quality browse is available. Agronomy is the science of soil management and crop production. I humbly submit that you cannot possibly be doing either, by simply mowing. I further submit that you can "study on this a mite" and come up with a solution that is more than mowing, but still suits your budget, equipment, and motivation level.

At the very least, and this is something I fully intend to pursue when my own circumstances permit:

1) Take a soil sample and have it analyzed. Thirty minutes in the spring and $20 from the wallet.
2) Amend as indicated, or as your budget allows. An hour of effort and maybe $200 from the wallet.
3) Strip disc at 2-4", gently till, or simply mow as you will anyway, but broadcast seed, first. An hour or two, plus gas.
4) Insist on something better than grass, ryegrass, or other low-quality forage. Rye, oats and clovers - maybe $50.

Or, stop mowing every year and pursue a coordinated old-field management program. It's even better for wildlife, in general, and requires more timely, well-conceived effort, but has less cost than even the simple process in the above numbered sequence.

Endeavor for more than the mower. If you and the wildlife will benefit from your management of habitat, this effort is too little, as is the reward. IMHO, YMMV, n' all that. :)

As I mentioned in my Property Thread I have a few plot areas this year that I did not plant but simply mowed a few times to thwart the weeds and let whatever grow (it will primarily be rye grass). I have mowed shooting lanes each year and was amazed at how much the deer grazed them. So this is my T&M method without the T. Lot of green showing up, and some of this is still summer weeds and grasses, but a lot of rye and clover.

xQLglaQ.jpg

Just for kicks I ran the chisel plow down one side to see what would happen. I definitely got more germination and growth there.
o8pTK8k.jpg

4Ixhdnx.jpg

I may be onto something, as this is one of the Stages of DeerHunterForum Member (http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/lak-with-too-much-time-on-his-hands.232/#post-3126)

View attachment 10317
Pretty cool stuff their Lakn. Always good to think outside the box. Similar to my Buffalo plot with timeily mowing to simulate the passing thru on the once large buffalo herds. Deer are in that area almost as much as the adjacent brassica and clover plots and doesn't cost nearly as much time and labor. I deal with fescue as opposed to rye grass which has even less value to wild life. Deer survived well long before anyone were planting food plots and amending soils. Thanks for showing. Good luck on your season you lazy habitat manager.:)

Cool stuff lak!
I'm with Broom on this. I'm all for encouraging native forbs and the such. Quail managers have had this figured out for decades and deer benefit from it too. Managing the seed bank is all that 's needed.

Or, stop mowing every year and pursue a coordinated old-field management program. It's even better for wildlife, in general, and requires more timely, well-conceived effort, but has less cost than even the simple process in the above numbered sequence.

Endeavor for more than the mower. If you and the wildlife will benefit from your management of habitat, this effort is too little, as is the reward. IMHO, YMMV, n' all that. :)

Full Disclosure = I did plant food plots alongside the areas I just mowed (or chiseled). The new areas are doing great, and give the deer wheat, oats and more clover. But these deer will enjoy the rye as well, they have for all the years of my hunting.

uBgPQGm.jpg

nJU4kEw.jpg

This new area includes a semi cleared spot in the woods. Should be great. Area to the left is Buck Forage Oats.
k7Xf5y5.jpg

TOrpZFR.jpg

As for stopping the mower and let the fields go, I do that in some spots, but I also have a fescue problem, and wow at the way Mandy Hollow grows Dog Fennel.

These guys are enjoying the M plot. They grazed for awhile in it. Clover must be poking thru. Also in the chufa
rsz_20171113_165116.jpg
rsz_20171113_170023.jpg

Back