Sunflower Thread

John Paul

I know it's late in the game for sunflowers but we need a new "how to" thread for sunflowers. I learned a lot on Smallplots (if I remember correctly) QDMA threads about sunflowers and clearfield sunflowers. Mine are doing well this year thanks to his YouTube videos.

IMG_20160721_100930_01.jpg

Mine are doing good too. I did the easy way. Ordered Eagle clearfield size 2 seed. Lime, p&k per soil test. Paid neighbor to plant with corn planter at 23,000 per acre. Local farm store top dressed coated urea at 65#. Sprayed with a version of raptor at 6 leafs (ok results) myself because nobody else wanted to do a washout of the sprayer during prime time when they were backed up because of the wind.

image.jpeg image.png

Don't say it's too late for sunflowers because I plant them in my fall planting. I've replaced winter peas with sunflowers. My deer love young tender sunflowers. A great early draw. But planting for seed it is a little late.

John Paul,

Did you broadcast, plant, or drill the sunflowers?

I used a two row planter (JD 71) and hung my head over the side of the tractor to get "30ish" rows. :)

Actually the rows turned out great but after 10 acres of sunflowers and 15 acres of corn with that darn planter I'm looking for a 4 row no till planter with markers for next year.

Interesting. I've got a 7100 2 row no till planter and the 706NT drill and I'm already planning for next year. I think I'm going to get sunflower meters for the planter and use it for corn and sunflowers and the drill for everything else.

Size 3/4 flowers need different meters. Eagle was the only place I could find the seeds that were big enough to be the same, so keep that in mind. I was traveling a lot through the Dakotas last year and every mycogen dealer I found only had 3's or 4's.

Size 3/4 flowers need different meters. Eagle was the only place I could find the seeds that were big enough to be the same, so keep that in mind. I was traveling a lot through the Dakotas last year and every mycogen dealer I found only had 3's or 4's.

I planted #4 Clearfields this year and they are a tiny seed compared to the #2 that I've done before.

Sprayed with a version of raptor at 6 leafs (ok results) myself because nobody else wanted to do a washout of the sprayer during prime time when they were backed up because of the wind.

Did you spray with Clearcast?

I used Clearcast at 5 oz per acre, Cleth for a spike on grass and AMS and had good results. I sprayed a tad late but the plants are still doing well.

Yeah but my ATV sprayer made it hard to apply at the 5oz. I can definitely tell where I went to fast, to slow and just right

Back