Struggling Drop Tine Crabapple

KSQ2

This has been one of the best growing crabs we’ve planted to this point. I put it in the ground 2 years ago. The other 3, crossbow, and two 30-06 are all looking great with the 30-06 beginning to bloom. I watered them all last summer and fall in the drought, which we’re still in the middle of.
The trunk…
9123848F-9455-448C-B411-4805430A36CC.jpeg
The limbs are alive and don’t look bad…
3C28AC1B-C0BA-40AF-AF46-2D36A3B5B473.jpeg

You have sunscald on that tree. I've seen some that eventually recovered and others that never quite recovered and ended up with decay that never healed. It depends on the severity. I would recommend lightly scraping off the dead bark back to where it is still green and attached to the tree. Also lightly scrape the green edge - but not too much. What you are hoping for is for the bark to start growing back and filing in the space - like it does where you prune off a limb.

To keep this from happening again, you need to shade the southwest side of the tree from the sun in the winter. The following link will give you some information that you need and show you the worst case of sunscald I have ever witnessed.

Thank you Native. I read your other post and realized we had the perfect storm this winter as well, and I’m lucky this is the only tree that was affected. Typically we have Johnson grass and some other vegetation growing inside our tree cages at the farm, but with the drought even though we watered trees, the other vegetation was reduced to just about nothing and all the trees were very exposed. I’ll go to work on the trunk this weekend and scrape the green lightly like you had me do with that chestnut that had a wound from a cage last year.

Thank you Native. I read your other post and realized we had the perfect storm this winter as well, and I’m lucky this is the only tree that was affected. Typically we have Johnson grass and some other vegetation growing inside our tree cages at the farm, but with the drought even though we watered trees, the other vegetation was reduced to just about nothing and all the trees were very exposed. I’ll go to work on the trunk this weekend and scrape the green lightly like you had me do with that chestnut that had a wound from a cage last year.
I hope your tree heals. I’ve started using aluminum trim material in the cages to shade my trees. I bought a roll of thin aluminum trim and cut off pieces and attach to the cages. But anything that would shade the southwest side should work well.

I hope your tree heals. I’ve started using aluminum trim material in the cages to shade my trees. I bought a roll of thin aluminum trim and cut off pieces and attach to the cages. But anything that would shade the southwest side should work well.
Yes next winter, if vegetation is missing again, I’ll attach something to the cages.

It seems most of our fruit trees are holding up okay so far this spring, despite the drought, but I will take water with me today and water this tree, I’m assuming it will be stressed after the sunscald and now hopeful attempt to heal.

Well, unfortunately the damage goes all the way around the trunk of the tree. I honestly cannot see how some of the branch’s still look somewhat alive. The is new growth coming the very base of the tree, I believe I’m going to cut the the trunk at the base right above the new shoot and see what happens. There might have been more going on than just the sunscald, I think the just made it vulnerable. It looks like something has been boring into it recently. I’ll take some pics and post them later.

I went ahead and cut it down.
The bottom had a bit still alive…
AB6073C2-8679-41A7-9A7B-E9665FE2055C.jpeg
This, about a foot above had none…
8C75BBA4-5FC1-4840-A615-43F8CDCE8A69.jpeg
This little guy is carrying our hope now…
D83EB385-43F1-4657-AFD1-E5F038F1FE31.jpeg

I have a trick where I mix leftover white latex paint and builders sand about 50/50 and paint the trunks of all my fruit trees below the soil to around 3' high every other year, this prevents sunscald, buck rubs, mice damage, rabbit damage, aphids, powdery mildew, and slows down insect damage such peach tree borers.

I have a trick where I mix leftover white latex paint and builders sand about 50/50 and paint the trunks of all my fruit trees below the soil to around 3' high every other year, this prevents sunscald, buck rubs, mice damage, rabbit damage, aphids, powdery mildew, and slows down insect damage such peach tree borers.
Yes, that sounds like a good thing to do. I had one guy in the extreme north to tell me that white paint didn’t stop sunscald on his trees. But he is the only person who has told me that.

Back