Strategic Spruce Planting

Levi

I am trying to come up with the best way to plant spruces and pines this spring. I'm using them for mostly cover and some travel corridors but I want to know what the most beneficial ways to plant are. Should I do small clumps of 5-15 randomly spread throughout a clearcut? I was also thinking about planting in rows that fan out so you can see down them from a permanent stand we have set up. Should one designated area just be pines and spruces or should they be intermingled and not in rows? Let's hear some creative ideas!

I am trying to come up with the best way to plant spruces and pines this spring. I'm using them for mostly cover and some travel corridors but I want to know what the most beneficial ways to plant are. Should I do small clumps of 5-15 randomly spread throughout a clearcut? I was also thinking about planting in rows that fan out so you can see down them from a permanent stand we have set up. Should one designated area just be pines and spruces or should they be intermingled and not in rows? Let's hear some creative ideas!
Where are you located? What state?

Reason I ask is spruce doesn't do well everywhere...I planted Norway Spruce here in NE Oklahoma and lost about 85% this first year...

Where are you located? What state?

Reason I ask is spruce doesn't do well everywhere...I planted Norway Spruce here in NE Oklahoma and lost about 85% this first year...

I'm in central Pa. We've already planted some and they've done pretty well. It was many years ago and some are over 20'

Back