Stone Branch, build it, they will come.

With the continuing drought we’re in, I doubt much burning will be done around us this year. Honestly, there just isn’t much to burn, there was so little growth of anything last year. I’m so envious of all that water in your last pics.

Nice place

Thanks buck.

George, I don't want to hurt your feelings, and you know it's going to be something you don't want to hear when a guy issues the apology before he says the zinger, but me being a barn builder, and looking at that old barn, I'm thinking that the Neanderthal in you should be warming your hands over a bigger fire... I do appreciate older historical buildings that showcase the talent of carpenters from bygone days, and the character that they have, but my pet peeve is weak foundations under a barn.

I'm shattered, I was ready to open up my barn for a wedding venue. No but serious, I do have some more work to do to keep my pile of sticks supported and suspended off of the ground.

G

With the continuing drought we’re in, I doubt much burning will be done around us this year. Honestly, there just isn’t much to burn, there was so little growth of anything last year. I’m so envious of all that water in your last pics.

I do wish you guys out there in the desert luck with precipitation. Water did play a part in my decision to buy ground in KY.

G

Thanks buck.

I'm shattered, I was ready to open up my barn for a wedding venue. No but serious, I do have some more work to do to keep my pile of sticks supported and suspended off of the ground.

G
I do enjoy the pictures and following along as you work with those beams. If you can indeed save it, it will definitely have enough character to be a wedding venue.

George,

Like the fire. I have a brand new drip torch that I hope to break in in a couple of weeks.

Did you ever figure out if you could get paid for dropping maples? I have been cutting some of mine on some bottom ground but might check if I am missing any cost share.

I do enjoy the pictures and following along as you work with those beams. If you can indeed save it, it will definitely have enough character to be a wedding venue.

I want to get the end bent set in place then try to replace the beams.

George,

Like the fire. I have a brand new drip torch that I hope to break in in a couple of weeks.

Did you ever figure out if you could get paid for dropping maples? I have been cutting some of mine on some bottom ground but might check if I am missing any cost share.

I love my new drip torch and I'm pretty sure you will love yours, particularly useful in the woods. EQIP funds are what I'm looking into, nowadays, they pay more than just cost share. My State Forest man had my plan to the Feds prior to the March 10 ranking and I have yet to hear back, being patient but getting ready.

Wednesday I was apprehensive about lighting up with variable sustained gusting winds.

DSC06887 (1200 x 800).jpg

I lit a backburn off the opposite end anyway that immediately turned into a head fire.

DSC06889 (1200 x 800).jpg

Too much heat, I raked out an emergency firebreak and brought my burn to a quick end for the day

DSC06890 (1200 x 800).jpg

This is what too much heat under the wrong conditions looks like.

DSC06897 (1200 x 800).jpg

Thursday, I had consistent south wind and lit er up no worries.

DSC06899 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC06907 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC06908 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC06914 (1200 x 800).jpg

Dead maples now leaning against my stand tree got a taste of flaming diesel.

DSC06910 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC06912 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

EQIP funds are what I'm looking into, nowadays, they pay more than just cost share. My State Forest man had my plan to the Feds prior to the March 10 ranking and I have yet to hear back, being patient but getting ready.
You should be able to get funds. I was approved for a 22.5 acre stand of mid-story removal and invasive removal in Kentucky. I was pretty surprised at the amount of money approved.

I have 136 acres looking to be approved.

G
I did an EQIP Forestry program and the price per acre was a decent return, but the catch was that they limited me on how many acres 1 person is allowed to do. It'll be interesting to see how you make out with them.
I want to get the end bent set in place then try to replace the beams.

I love my new drip torch and I'm pretty sure you will love yours, particularly useful in the woods. EQIP funds are what I'm looking into, nowadays, they pay more than just cost share. My State Forest man had my plan to the Feds prior to the March 10 ranking and I have yet to hear back, being patient but getting ready.

Wednesday I was apprehensive about lighting up with variable sustained gusting winds.

View attachment 25158

I lit a backburn off the opposite end anyway that immediately turned into a head fire.

View attachment 25159

Too much heat, I raked out an emergency firebreak and brought my burn to a quick end for the day

View attachment 25160

This is what too much heat under the wrong conditions looks like.

View attachment 25161

Thursday, I had consistent south wind and lit er up no worries.

View attachment 25162

View attachment 25163

View attachment 25164

View attachment 25167

Dead maples now leaning against my stand tree got a taste of flaming diesel.

View attachment 25165

View attachment 25166

G
I'm waiting for more pictures on the barn beam work. I like to look at an old barn mortise and tenon frame repair from the viewpoint of "how can I add additional framing (beams) that look like they belong there?"
The end bent can sometimes be stabilized with two arcade posts underneath on new footings, with an anchor beam going across the gable several feet underneath the end bent. The kingpost then ends up cut off and resting on the anchor beam. The end result is two vertical columns in place of one, giving more stability to an old frame while still looking original.

I did an EQIP Forestry program and the price per acre was a decent return, but the catch was that they limited me on how many acres 1 person is allowed to do. It'll be interesting to see how you make out with them.

I'm waiting for more pictures on the barn beam work. I like to look at an old barn mortise and tenon frame repair from the viewpoint of "how can I add additional framing (beams) that look like they belong there?"
The end bent can sometimes be stabilized with two arcade posts underneath on new footings, with an anchor beam going across the gable several feet underneath the end bent. The kingpost then ends up cut off and resting on the anchor beam. The end result is two vertical columns in place of one, giving more stability to an old frame while still looking original.

I have 7 units and I will have to complete one unit per year but I can complete however many units I choose per year.

You are speaking way over my head in regards to the barn.

DSC06917 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC06921 (1200 x 800).jpg

I have some chainsaw work to do in my last burn unit.

DSC06923 (1200 x 800).jpg

The rattlesnake food plot is ready for planting.

DSC06924 (1200 x 800).jpg

The site of my future tower blind. Earth

DSC06925 (1200 x 800).jpg

wind,

DSC06929 (1200 x 800).jpg

and fire.

DSC06930 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC06934 (1200 x 800).jpg

I now have about 10 acres of toasted mountain laurel.

DSC06935 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC06941 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Great work Pyro!! If you haven’t read some old accounts of early explorers into the Eastern forests and their dealing with Laurel Brakes, do so. Pretty wicked stuff to get thru. Blackwater Chronicles is a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It didn't waste any time disappearing into a dead log.

DSC07022 (1200 x 800).jpg

If you remove them from their home territory they won't be able to find their hibernacula. I let it go a couple hundred yards up above. I do have two new dogs that still need some snake training.

DSC07024 (1200 x 800).jpg

The fire hatched some pine trees up on the ridge.

DSC07025 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Back