States that don't require a license

Kentucky is the same as about every other state. No license or permit required for landowners or tenant living and working on the land. I am a tenant on the land I hunt, but I do not work the land as the department sees it. Personally, I think I work it plenty....I maintain a large portion of the land, but the department defines working it in agricultural terms.

So I see that a lot of guys here are saying they don't have to buy a liscense.
What Id like to know is if you don't have to buy a liscense do you still have to obtain a free permit?
In Ohio it's free to hunt on property you own and you don't need to obtain a free permit or license to hunt deer. Just need to check them in once harvested.

In Georgia, for deer, you have to have a free landowners harvest record and you have to telecheck your deer and turkey. I always buy a license because I don't just hunt land I own.

Tennessee- No license if you own the land, must follow all hunting laws and check game in as a landowner. No permits required other than Federal Duck Stamp.

They just made new law where, if you are a native Tennessean(born here) but reside in another state, you pay the same price as a resident for licenses. I wish they would do something along those lines for non-resident landowners.

wow - I never knew...... in NY we pay. Costs about $100 to fish and hunt with all the tags. No NY money is better spent in my opinion.
NY landowner (50 acres or more) can get a free doe permit. NY senior citizen gets a free license I'm pretty sure.

wow - I never knew...... in NY we pay. Costs about $100 to fish and hunt with all the tags. No NY money is better spent in my opinion.
NY landowner (50 acres or more) can get a free doe permit. NY senior citizen gets a free license I'm pretty sure.

Slight correction farmhunter; Checked on that last season. New York Senior citizens over 70 years old get a license for $5 annually, not free but close enough.

In the trophy buck country of southeastern MN, you can have as many free landowner tags as you want, and you also get about 7 months to hunt.

IL ... 70+ fishing / hunting combo license 3.25 ..... however, you still have to purchase deer tags , an up-land game stamp, state/federal duck stamps .... got to support the politicians in prison (several Govs. have iron-bar experience - Yuk!)

Indiana - no licenses required for landowners and you do not need to by a free permit. You do need to check in once harvested, but that can be done online. Pretty much applies to all species of hunting from squirrels, rabbits, turkey, and deer. Really nice benefit.

Agree with prior post though, the deer herd gets slaughtered with 15 days of gun season, one week off, then 15 days of muzzleloader, and extra gun season for many counties the first week of Jan. If it were not for private landowners that pass on many deer, I doubt there would be any left.

Ohio landowner can hunt on their own land without a hunting license or deer tag but must follow hunting laws and check deer in.
The landowner kids can also hunt on my land with out licenses but my grandkids need a deer tag. Figure that one out.

In Indiana for a landowner....no license, no permit, no nothing.....we hunt and if/when we tag a deer we have to place a piece of paper on it with the same harvest info that the purchased tag has to show/take legal possession of the deer. I am not sure how it works for other critters other than small game. Small game you just kill'em and eat'em. But we have to play by all the other rules as any other hunter in the state does.

Indiana - no licenses required for landowners and you do not need to by a free permit. You do need to check in once harvested, but that can be done online. Pretty much applies to all species of hunting from squirrels, rabbits, turkey, and deer. Really nice benefit.

Agree with prior post though, the deer herd gets slaughtered with 15 days of gun season, one week off, then 15 days of muzzleloader, and extra gun season for many counties the first week of Jan. If it were not for private landowners that pass on many deer, I doubt there would be any left.

A deer desert is the politicians/lobbyist's goal. I am about finished with IN.

I hear you! Just wait until the DNR tries to kill the landowner exemption...... The DNR sees this as money they are missing out on. They will come after it, it's just a matter of time. Deer hunting is the single largest revenue stream our DNR has yet they fail to understand that their alignment with the political machine is killing hunting in this state......specifically deer hunting. They fail to realize that once the Politicians and lobbyists are done getting all they can from them, they will be simply discarded and tossed to the side........and our states natural resources will be left in shambles.....all because of greed and money! The very thing the DNR was founded to protect against!!!!

I bought the lifetime comprehensive license the second year it was available-got hunting/fishing and all state tags included for life, and it’s even valid if I change residency to another state. My wife had to talk me into it, and it’s paid for itself over and over again. Now that the deer genocide is entering into its second decade, I have mixed feelings about the value going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought the lifetime comprehensive license the second year it was available-got hunting/fishing and all state tags included for life, and it’s even valid if I change residency to another state. My wife had to talk me into it, and it’s paid for itself over and over again. Now that the deer genocide is entering into its second decade, I have mixed feelings about the value going forward.

That is one of the mistakes the DNR made - the lifetime tag was a lump sum that the DNR quickly spent and will loose money year after year. Your wife is a smart lady if she saw the value in it and pushed for it for the long term savings. I only hunt my land 99% of the time so I have bought I think 2 deer tags in my life thus far. The deer will bonce back if given the chance..... We just have to get enough folks to give them that chance.

In Pennsylvania farmers who make a living in agriculture with 50 + acres of land, under continuous commercial cultivation, can hunt their own land without a hunting license, and they can also hunt on adjoining lands if they have written permission from the adjoining land owner. They can not hunt public land that might adjoin their land, but they can hunt on any other land they have within ten air miles of the home farm. They have to abide by regular seasons and regulations, they also have to fill out a tag on a piece of paper with the same info as an official tag.
PA also has a reduced fee license called a Resident Landowner Hunting License for $4.90 that's issued to qualified resident owners of 80 or more acres of land that are enrolled in a Pennsylvania Game Commission cooperative public access program which opens their land to public hunting. I don't think this option is very popular, since you can hunt your own land for free with the first option, and control hunting on your land to boot.

Same here...

Wow, who knew ? Gotta have a license to spit in Texas. I think our only exemption is hunting feral hogs on your own property, all game animals must be hunted with a hunting license on your person.

Back