Starting apple trees inside

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some information on starting Apple seeds inside under florescent lights. I'm wondering if this is a good idea or should I wait and direct seed in the spring? How difficult is it to transition the saplings to being outside in the spring? I want to start some to try my hand at grafting once they are large enough. The seeds are all from local wild apple trees.

Thanks in advance

very easy. I have started a couple hundred of apple and pear seeds in the house and then transitioned them outside once the thread of freeze is gone. I started all mine in rootmaker 32's and then moved up to larger pots every 8 to 12 weeks. I grow them out for a year and graft them the following spring. I then try to plant them in the fall or late winter (our ground never freezes). I start a bunch and toss the small ones. I want vigorous trees. It's very easy starting the seeds in the house under grow lights to grafting to planting!

I start my seeds under grow lights next to a large south facing window. So the baby trees get sunlight as they are starting out also. That way I can transition them directly out to the sun. If not you need to slowly transition to sun or you will burn them quickly. The apple seeds need 60 days in the fridge for their cold stratification--otherwise they won't germinate.

todd

Back