Spring Lake Farm - a habitat retrospective

Short video of doe eating sawtooth under new stand. if you turn volume up, you can hear her chomping. Kind of just wanted to see what the video thing was like.

This deer was run off by a bear about a minute later. I tried to get a shot but had none through the trees.

Last edited:
I'll get back to trees in a while, but thought I'd talk about infrastructure improvement for a bit.

One of the biggest reasons my Dad decided this was the farm for us, even with the sparse deer population and nonexistent habitat,
was the beautiful spring creek that bubbled out of the ground next to a dilapidated house built in the early 1800s. He immediately thought "what a perfect spot for a pond". Construction began with us shooting a sight level across the landscape to figure out how big we wanted it (how high the dam had to be). We marked the perimeter with surveyors flags, procured permits, and hired a local guy with the necessary equipment. Trees were cleared, brush was burned, the dam was built, and dock installed. Heres what it looks like now:
IMG_1713_zpsb7bindln.jpg

So, One day back in 2000 or 2001, I was building a tree stand with my Dad when he tells me he likes building tree stands as much as he likes hunting. SO.... I said "Great, I'll come back next weekend and we can build another one down by the future pond. Let's make it a Big one." The next week I roll in with my pickup and tools and a load of Lumber. Turned into this:
IMG_0740_zpscdhbhlc0.jpg

IMG_0067_zpsm5en1seh.jpg

laborday538_zps7799d8a5.jpg

I guess we got a little carried away, as we added a pump and kitchenette with a bathroom and small septic system. Its got a loft and sleeps 4 comfortably. Sitting on the deck having coffee in the morning and watching the sun rise is one of my all time favorite things to do.

109.jpg

Needed a quick way to get across the pond, so two years ago my brother and I built this:

My kids and nephews LOVE it!

Last edited:
I love the pond cabin and the pond. You say it is spring fed so I imagine it is really cold? Could it support trout?

Are you actually sitting in that Sawtooth oak? How old is the tree?

Kubota - I've had trout live up to 4 years in there. First time I stocked trout, I put 12" fish in and 2 years later caught one that was 22".

Last time I stocked was 2 years ago just before we did a Qdma event there, and I caught a trout in may on a popping bug while fishing for bluegill.

Yes, I hung a hang-0n stand in that sawtooth. It is 15 years old. It's only 13 or so feet up, but its really tucked in there nicely. Super fun doing that!

What a great ride Massey. I couldn't find this tour on here since I'm still not used to this forum, and it was right under my nose. Blue Ridge mountains, it just don't get any better. Now that Zip line….I'm thinking that one may get copied.

Well ... Cant believe how little time I've had to do anything the past few months! Been super busy with family and work, so I haven't had time to update this or even go hunting!

Tuesday, I said to my wife " Darn, I forgot to winterize the treehouse. I think I'll shoot up there today and come back in the morning"
So I loaded my camo and bow into the trunk when she wasn't looking and headed north for 3.5 hrs. If I was lucky, I'd get the pump winterized and get in the tree stand for a two hour sit.
Beautiful drive up.
Got all my chores done and headed up to the sawtooth oaks.
IMG_1136_zpshbmpve3m.jpg

Around half of the acorns had fallen and there were quite a few still on the ground. Its been a great mast year, and I expected the sawtooths to be overlooked...Nevertheless, I knocked an arrow and slowly crept through the trees to my stand. About half way in, I stopped dead in my tracks. On the other side of one of the sawtooths was a very large black form. Before I had a chance to think, It was up and out of its bed, seemingly headed for the next county...I think the bear was asleep as I walked up on it. It's bed:
IMG_1139_zpsapz7b5bf.jpg

Well this thing made such a racket getting out of there, I'm sure it blew out any deer that might be in the area. What to do? Decided I'd keep going another 100 yards into the oaks to look for scrapes, sign. I walked slowly and used my turkey call to creep through the noisy woods.
IMG_1140_zpse7e72pvc.jpg

I decided to climb up and sit for awhile.

IMG_1142_zpsj4tsb97u.jpg

The white oaks were still dropping as I sat 50 yards from the 7 year old clearcut where the bear ran. After an hour, I decided to switch stands. I'd creep back out and around to the other sawtooth grove where my camera was still up. I'd sit there till dark and then grab the card. After about 15 minutes of turkey calling and walking quietly, I crept into the second grove. Alert for any movement, odor or outline, I scanned the ground around the trees... I was about smack dab in the middle of the second grove when out of nowhere, a big black form came crashing down one of the trees and did it's best locomotive impression through the adjoining plum thicket...DAMN!!!
Oh well, I climbed up into the hang on for the rest of the evening.

I could see the recently broken branches from this bear
IMG_1151_zpspgtvb58r.jpg

After all the ruckus, I didn't expect to see any deer and I wasn't surprised. Nothing stirred. Dark came, and with it the disappointment
of the end of my day. Stopped to grab the card and came up with this:
IMG_1152_zpsircijhn1.jpg

The camera doesn't work now, and I only had 10 pictures on the card.. The last one was dated oct 13.

Had to get back early the next morning to get to my sons 2nd grade Veterans Day assembly. He was the first speaker and did a great job reading a great poem. Proud of him! Anyway, I'll try to get back to the habitat posting soon. Gotta another busy month. Enjoy following everyones threads. Glad this place is here.

and some cam lock boxes. You can buy three boxes for the cost of one camera. I drill heavy duty deck screws into junk trees when I mount my cams and boxes.

Back