Spraying weeds in Clover plots

coolbrze0

I've got some weeds coming up in a few of my clover plots. There's some fescue, broadleaf plantain, dandelions, & a few others starting to pop up. Is there anything I can spray that will kill those but not my Clover? I've heard of people diluting Gly mix & spraying but want confirmation before I go & try that...

Clethodim for grasses, Butyrac for weeds. Imox supposedly kills both but I've never used it.

Last edited:
I've got some weeds coming up in a few of my clover plots. There's some fescue, broadleaf plantain, dandelions, & a few others starting to pop up. Is there anything I can spray that will kill those but not my Clover? I've heard of people diluting Gly mix & spraying but want confirmation before I go & try that...

ME? I might do that, or not - depending on the circumstances. Since you are asking, I would suggest you NOT do it. OR, get a weed wiper and take advantage of the height difference between the weeds and your clover. Or, consider that DRYCREEK (above) has it right.

And, there are multiple threads here discussing the effectiveness of IMOX.

X, I forgot about the weed wiper. I made one a few years ago to kill behia grass that cropped up in my plots, (probably from seeds sticking to my shredder) but I finally just started spraying for that too. I had mine on the front of my golf cart. Worked pretty well too.

I highly doubt that a weed wiper will be effective on plantain. It grows so low and tight to the ground. The odds of wiping it without hitting the clover is not good.

Fescue could b an issue if thick but may keep it mowed and give clover chance to shade out. If not I. A year spray cloth.
Dandelions? Deer love it and makes decent salad or roots good coffee.
Plantain. Ugly plant but edible top to roots. Good for itch of poison or bite. Makes decent tea. Controls cough and heartburn.
Broadleaf will need mowing or herbicides for such like gly or imox.
Limited or no tillage helps prevent all the above. Oversees your clover late summer w WR to use up N and help control weeds and feed deer fall thru spring. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for all the typing errors. I swear typing on a phone makes one look like an idiot and autocorrect never helps as it should. But I think you can decipher. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So apparently I can purchase those in VA, it's VI (Virgin Islands) that you can't. Ordered Butyrac 200 (24DB) today & will pick up some Cleth at Rural King on Thurs. I know not to tank mix the 2 & I assume I shouldn't spray on the same day (even w/ separate sprayers), correct? My plots are small, 3 of the 4 are under 1/4 acre & so a weed wiper isn't necessary I can do it all w/ our 4 gal. backpack sprayers. Should I mow them a week or so prior to or after spraying? Should I even spray Butyrac 200 or Cleth this time of year or should I wait till Fall? We're getting a lot of rain this week so might have to hold off until next week anyway...

So apparently I can purchase those in VA, it's VI (Virgin Islands) that you can't. Ordered Butyrac 200 (24DB) today & will pick up some Cleth at Rural King on Thurs. I know not to tank mix the 2 & I assume I shouldn't spray on the same day (even w/ separate sprayers), correct? My plots are small, 3 of the 4 are under 1/4 acre & so a weed wiper isn't necessary I can do it all w/ our 4 gal. backpack sprayers. Should I mow them a week or so prior to or after spraying? Should I even spray Butyrac 200 or Cleth this time of year or should I wait till Fall? We're getting a lot of rain this week so might have to hold off until next week anyway...

I know not to tank mix them, but I dont know about spraying separately within a couple hours. I assume you can but IDK.
And most, but not all herbicides and target weeds are best when sprayed in a timely manner. Too early misses complete emergence. Too late and weeds are less susceptible to the effects of the herbicide.
I will say this...for example, when I spray canada thistle with clopyralid3, I think I get a better kill if its just before bud stage. That is not the case with most herbicides.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Another ?... my micro plots are small so I'll be rocking a backpack sprayer or 4 wheeler sprayer. How many oz/gal of Cleth & how many oz/gal of Butyrac200 (24db) should I apply? Everything Ive seen has application rates in oz per acre... Also... should I add a surfactant to either of them & if so, how much per gallon of water?

Clethodim and Butyrac200 are about the same rates for clover and I would definitely use crop oil. For application rates the CLETHODIM 2E label reads; When using hand sprayers or high volume sprayers utilizing hand guns, mix 1/4% to 1/2% (0.33 oz. to 0.65 oz. per gallon) CLETHODIM 2E and treat to wet vegetation, while not allowing runoff of spray solution. For uses requiring crop oil concentrate, include crop oil concentrate at 1% (1.3 oz. per gallon) by volume. For uses requiring non-ionic surfactant, include non-ionic surfactant at 1/4% (0.33 oz. per gallon) by volume. I also use approx. these rates for the Butyrac200.

As far as tank mixing, I do that all the time; CLETHODIM 2E label also reads; CLETHODIM 2E TANK MIXES WITH BROADLEAF HERBICIDES (REFER TO THE USE DIRECTIONS TABLES IN THIS LABEL FOR SPECIFIC GRASSES AND GROWTH STAGES) (1)If grass regrowth occurs or an additional flush of new grass emerges, make a second application of CLETHODIM 2E alone (without a tank mix herbicide), according to the appropriate size and rate directions. (2)Broadleaf weed control may be reduced when grass populations are tall or dense enough to intercept the spray pattern and prevent them from receiving complete coverage. Tank mixing is not recommended in these situations. (3)Always use a crop oil concentrate at the listed rate (but not less than 1pt./A) in the finished spray volume. (4)CLETHODIM 2E plus 2,4-DB may increase the severity of crop injury when tank mixed.
Butyrac200 is also labeled for tank mixing, I have mixed these two with no adverse effects.

I'm late to this discussion, but the next time you need to buy herbicide for clover check out "Thunder" (Keystone Pest Solutions $319 per gallon, 1 gallon treats 32 acres, $10 per acre), this stuff does better on broadleaf weeds for me than any other product, and although it looks expensive, the cost per acre isn't that much. For some more info on spraying clover read my post #37 in my thread Keystone Krops

We are getting a lot of rain this year and our clover is doing phenomenal but we are also getting a lot of weeds coming up in it. I spray my roads with gly every 45 days and I notice where the clover is along the road it is the only thing that survives other than some small oak and hickory sprouts. I am really considering spraying my clover field with GLY since we are still slated for decent rain as far out as I can see. I think the clover will survive it and it will kick the crap out of everything else...

I've never worried too much about weeds in our clover (now grass is a different story, I love clethodim!); BUT we only plan on getting about three years out of our clover plots before starting over or rotating brassicas through -- I learned that from Paul Knox. I've noticed many of the weeds get as much browsing attention as the clover. Sorry though, I can't tell you which weeds.

I usually use diluted gly to kill wild ryegrass in March and crabgrass in June. However, this year I have decided to leave the crabgrass alone for now as it is helping to hold moisture on the clover and the deer certainly aren't minding it. Not as pretty as a pure clover stand with no crabgrass but I swear more deer are using it this year than in the past.

Clethodim and Butyrac200 are about the same rates for clover and I would definitely use crop oil. For application rates the CLETHODIM 2E label reads; When using hand sprayers or high volume sprayers utilizing hand guns, mix 1/4% to 1/2% (0.33 oz. to 0.65 oz. per gallon) CLETHODIM 2E and treat to wet vegetation, while not allowing runoff of spray solution. For uses requiring crop oil concentrate, include crop oil concentrate at 1% (1.3 oz. per gallon) by volume. For uses requiring non-ionic surfactant, include non-ionic surfactant at 1/4% (0.33 oz. per gallon) by volume. I also use approx. these rates for the Butyrac200.

As far as tank mixing, I do that all the time; CLETHODIM 2E label also reads; CLETHODIM 2E TANK MIXES WITH BROADLEAF HERBICIDES (REFER TO THE USE DIRECTIONS TABLES IN THIS LABEL FOR SPECIFIC GRASSES AND GROWTH STAGES) (1)If grass regrowth occurs or an additional flush of new grass emerges, make a second application of CLETHODIM 2E alone (without a tank mix herbicide), according to the appropriate size and rate directions. (2)Broadleaf weed control may be reduced when grass populations are tall or dense enough to intercept the spray pattern and prevent them from receiving complete coverage. Tank mixing is not recommended in these situations. (3)Always use a crop oil concentrate at the listed rate (but not less than 1pt./A) in the finished spray volume. (4)CLETHODIM 2E plus 2,4-DB may increase the severity of crop injury when tank mixed.
Butyrac200 is also labeled for tank mixing, I have mixed these two with no adverse effects.

I'm late to this discussion, but the next time you need to buy herbicide for clover check out "Thunder" (Keystone Pest Solutions $319 per gallon, 1 gallon treats 32 acres, $10 per acre), this stuff does better on broadleaf weeds for me than any other product, and although it looks expensive, the cost per acre isn't that much. For some more info on spraying clover read my post #37 in my thread Keystone Krops

Wish I had seen this sooner... I sprayed a couple of my plots on Sat. w/ 1 oz of Cleth & 2 oz. of surfactant per 2 gal. of water. I looked at 1 of the plots yesterday & was surprised to see a lot of the grassy weeds already turning yellow but Clover still looked good. I think I was a little hot on the mix ratio but time will tell. Clover is pretty tough, I gly the weeds & the clover on my driveway & it kills everything but the clover quickly.

Last edited:
Wish I had seen this sooner... I sprayed a couple of my plots on Sat. w/ 1 oz of Cleth & 2 oz. of surfactant per 2 gal. of water. I looked at 1 of the plots yesterday & was surprised to see a lot of the grassy weeds already turning yellow but Clover still looked good. I think I was a little hot on the mix ratio but time will tell. Clover is pretty tough, I gly the weeds & the clover on my driveway & it kills everything but the clover quickly.
I love a happy ending. Dead weeds are always good news. Your mix was a little strong, but still within what I would consider a reasonable tolerance for error. The ideal rate for applying chemicals is zero, however, getting rid of the weeds without burning more fossil fuel to replant has some environmental value as well. So the practical rate is the least amount that you can get by with and still kill the target weeds, as long as it's within the manufacturer's guidelines. I suggest you document the results of this spray application, and then cut back by 25% the next time and compare the results.

Copy that, did so already :) Sprayed Butyrac 200 today w/ no surfactant. Saw 1 small bear between my 3 smaller plots but lots of deer tracks & scat, plus the trails leading to/from are being used hard. Surprised the Cleth is knocking my Japanese Stiltgrass back (& still not the Clover!) Don't expect the Cleth to kill the JSG but I'm happy that it's turning yellow...

Back