South Carolina Cabin Build

Keithw247

This is a cabin build thread more so than a property tour. The property is pine plantation and cypress swamp emcompassing about 500 acres. My guesstimate is that 300 acres are highland. There are some pockets of hardwoods. My family purchased the property in 2012 as a timber investment and recreational property.

We haven't done any significant habitat improvement outside of clearing some logging decks for food plots. The food plots have not been very successful as it seems the tractor would break down at the worst times. I have planted some apple, pear, crabapple, persimmon and a few chestnut trees, but it will be a few years before those begin producing. In the meantime we've put a few feeders up on the food plots. My father, brother, myself and a few of our friends hunt it, but we have yet to kill a wall hanger. In the five years we have owned it we haven't killed more than 4 deer in any one year with the majority being does and a few button bucks (inexperienced friends!).

The property was a shoot anything dog hunting club before we acquired it so I knew it would take a few years to establish some shooter bucks. Based on trail cams I think we had 3-4 shooters this year and I'm assuming there are a few more I don't have pictures of. That's some history of the place.

When we got the property there was an old 16' x 16" clubhouse on a 32' X 32' concrete pad that had electricity run to it. The roof had been torn off (vandalized) in the weeks before we closed on it.

This picture shows the roof going on.

aUQsKyC.jpg

Roof completed with shed overhang.

iVsfuZ4.jpg

This was our cabin for 2013 and 2014. It has a bunk bed, wood burning stove, refrigerator, microwave and window a/c. I think I've slept in it once or twice, but my brother spends several weekends a year staying in it.

By the end of 2014 my dad decided he wanted a nicer place to stay and designed a cabin plan.

rjjC1vL.png

Construction began in January 2015. The guy building the cabin is a fantastic carpenter but has a lot of other work obligations and this is a side project for him when he has time. Due to a number of issues like the floods in October 2015 and the Hurricane in October 2016, he did not have time to work on it so it has been a long build that is still in progress. Hopefully it will be completed in the next couple of months. That's why I decided to go ahead and start the build thread now.

w4x72YT.jpg

7YTM0Rh.jpg

kDsm0zE.jpg

Framing began in February 2015.

tg5ic6l.jpg

Agm6qUq.jpg

iOWl9Aw.jpg

IGwUsxo.jpg

h0j5xl0.jpg

Looking out the front of the cabin across road at existing shack.

piIFAmy.jpg

The roof began going on in March 2015.

DRvtFtF.jpg

WBrdoPO.jpg

In April they began drying it in.

85IJ9Up.jpg

pi8Yh5w.jpg

June 2015 the wrap around porch went on.

8IMB5bF.jpg

APOULsd.jpg

m5LAJXY.jpg

aUQsKyC.jpg
[/IMG]

Gosh what a great upgrade. From a shack to a house would be how I describe what I see.

Congrats - I look forward to following along.

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Although this is primarily a build thread, I will intersperse some property pics and activity pics to give an idea what the property looks like and what we enjoy doing out there. Here are a few pics from around the property.

asnHfTA.jpg

iFXuBSi.jpg

GAiOSSJ.jpg

JHAlSwb.jpg

pas2TEf.jpg

These are some interior pictures from May and June 2015. The steps are temporary as we plan on having a spiral staircase going up to the loft.

ppRJlQw.jpg

P97M31p.jpg

uv6f5G0.jpg

Pictures of the porch being framed in.

TLh9M03.jpg

mbXH2Vz.jpg

PkV6Dmo.jpg

9fLamzW.jpg

This is what the cabin looked like by the end of July 2015

HH9CxtE.jpg

We all agreed to go with cypress siding (inside and out) and a metal roof for the "cabin" look. Siding and windows were delivered end of June 2015.

yNEfZpD.jpg

BwK6nYo.jpg

Over the next several months the windows, siding and metal roof went on. This is where the cabin was at the end of January 2016.

bZDfrz1.jpg

i9qjPwe.jpg

We also decided to put a small utility room on the back section of the porch to house the water heater, a stack washer/dryer and for additional storage.

fdOmmi4.jpg

Here is a picture of the storage room from the outside. This is around January 2016.

IfYZLSFl.jpg

Things slowed down for a few months, then around April/May a few more things got done.
The porch railing was put on.

HDAd6qU.jpg

Siding got put on the storage room

ATn302a.jpg

Tub insert was installed

5Vl6eZM.jpg

HVAC unit was delivered

Ll9AGhr.jpg

Sorry for the slow posts. I won't bore with details but I have issues getting my photos from Google photos to this forum. But to continue on during the spring and summer of 2016 the plumbing and electric were roughed in.

g59DqcQl.jpg

qOtCEFZl.jpg

Picture from the porch before boxing in the ceiling.

t90K1l4l.jpg

Back