So you think you are a logger???

dogghr

I have a few friends who have logging company operations. Some of their stories can be quite eye opening when they share. Here's a vid I thot some might find interesting.
Pretty cool video/long of the logging industry from 1800s to today. And some good examples of how things can go wrong, especially in the middle of the video.
May give you a little more respect when taking your chainsaw efforts a little to lightly.

Dogghr, I have one of those old 2 man chainsaws like they show around the 15 minute mark - a McCulloch Model 99. Hasn't been started for over 40 years. I had a guy to try to get it running years ago, and he did get it to hit a few licks, but needed a diaphragm for the carb. I'm sure someone out there could get it going again. My father said he hoped he never saw it run again - because he used to have to use it...:D

Dogghr, I have one of those old 2 man chainsaws like they show around the 15 minute mark - a McCulloch Model 99. Hasn't been started for over 40 years. I had a guy to try to get it running years ago, and he did get it to hit a few licks, but needed a diaphragm for the carb. I'm sure someone out there could get it going again. My father said he hoped he never saw it run again - because he used to have to use it...:D
Post a pic of that Native, be cool to see. I wouldn't want to be on the butt end of it for sure.
Not sure if many on here have used a two man crosscut saw. I have, and while I wouldn't want to do that for a living, it was amazing how much you could cut with another person. And talk about teamwork. No wonder this country was so helpful toward each other a century ago. Each persons job and life was so dependent on another human, whether it be cutting timber or building a barn or mining coal.

Post a pic of that Native, be cool to see. I wouldn't want to be on the butt end of it for sure.
Not sure if many on here have used a two man crosscut saw. I have, and while I wouldn't want to do that for a living, it was amazing how much you could cut with another person. And talk about teamwork. No wonder this country was so helpful toward each other a century ago. Each persons job and life was so dependent on another human, whether it be cutting timber or building a barn or mining coal.

It's stored in my FIL's garage somewhere, but I looked and found this pic below that looks almost identical to it.

I have a short bar about the same length as the one in the pic and a longer bar - maybe a couple of feet longer.

The bars mount to the saw with a bell housing. You change the cutting angle by rotating the bar on the housing - the handlebars always remain upright.

http://www.thisoldchainsaw.com/5-49-two-man

^ ^ ^That's cool. One of the small towns in WV ( Webster Springs) have a Woodchopping Festival each May. Draws competitors from around the world despite the small fair. Very cool thing to go to and each contest is a variation of logging either present or past. Everything form crosscut, to axe , to race modified chain saws. The Cogar family from the area have won on the world level for many generations.

Dogghr,

Here is an old saw that I still use from time to time when I have some heavy duty cutting to do. It still runs like a scalded dog. Belonged to my grandfather, and I think it was bought in the 60s.

I fired her up the other day and she purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred like a kitten......

^ ^ ^ Sweet. And of course take note, no kickback bar, barely a vibration sleeve on front bar, nothing on hand hold, and a pull starter handle made for a mans hands, not some kids hands like todays saws. And I bet it weights a bit but well balances. Thanks for showing.
Might be some other old chainsaws owned by those on this forum they might show??
I'll try to get a pick of my two man crosscut next time down. Cross cuts are popular for painting murals on them. I prefer the worn look.

Would it happen to be Bond's Logging ?

No it would be Rumburg and Jackson. Not familiar with Bond? Is that out of WV?

I have a few friends who have logging company operations. Some of their stories can be quite eye opening when they share. Here's a vid I thot some might find interesting.
Pretty cool video/long of the logging industry from 1800s to today. And some good examples of how things can go wrong, especially in the middle of the video.
May give you a little more respect when taking your chainsaw efforts a little to lightly.

I really enjoyed that video. I made my kids watch it on the way to our place to hinge cut for the day. I also bought a pair of chaps on the way down as we had a near miss last weekend. Interestingly one of the loggers on the video spoke of the dangers of "barberchairing" a tree. Seems like that's what we are doing intentionally with the hinge cutting.
No doubt a dangerous job. Thanks for posting.

Back