Sneaky Bastages

BradB

My buddy shot one of the mature bucks we have had on camera all year Friday afternoon, but unfortunately only wounded it. It was a very old really big bodied 6 point. Got to thinking about where it was shot and it made me think he may have had us hunters figured out a lot better than we had him figured out.

On the aerial below the red is an absolutely nasty mess of Kudzu and head high crap that adjoins the south side of the clear area above it where we have historically entered and usually parked to hunt the entire east side of my property.This summer we cut a new firelane (in yellow) and created a long narrow food plot (green).Also got a low water creek crossing in that allows us to get to that side without coming in that way.My buddy came in the new way and sat a stand at the sw end of the plot. Anyway mister buck got shot crossing the lane/plot headed south from the red, probably headed to my plots and to my neighbors feeders to the south.My conjecture is that sucker has probably bedded in that nasty for years and just eased off the south side and left the zip code every time we pulled in there to hunt.
big%20buchk_zpsc2gjsz52.png

Good theory, my uncle has killed several good bucks "by accident". Two very old and very smart mountain deer in western Va. Both times he was post man for a man drive and both times he stood in the wrong place. These two bucks, on different pieces of property and in different decades, each belly-crawled to within sight of the standard posting spot and looked to see if there was someone standing there. When the bucks didn't see anyone where there was supposed to be they came out and were subsequently easily taken by my uncle. Those old timers get to be real smart after they get hunted a few years, especially if we as the hunters are predictable.

Sometimes they are sneaky. Sometimes they are simple minded deer. Like the big 9 that walk out of my thickets late morning and was killed in the neighbors wide stinking open park-like woodlot.

I bet things like that happen much more often than we realize. Two of the thickest areas on my farm are overgrown fields right along the road. We drive through both on our way to access the rest of the farm and I'm sure we drive right by plenty of good deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right I have a 9 point on the wall I schwacked in Maryland that I watched walk within 10 feet of my truck. 141". When 9-11hit we could not hunt on post at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. A guy that worked with my wife owned 75 yards of woods for a half mile off the road and swore he saw deer all the time. I had no where to hunt so checked it out. Deer heaven. Like a zoo. Tagged out quick in that little strip.

Right I have a 9 point on the wall I schwacked in Maryland that I watched walk within 10 feet of my truck. 141". When 9-11hit we could not hunt on post at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. A guy that worked with my wife owned 75 yards of woods for a half mile off the road and swore he saw deer all the time. I had no where to hunt so checked it out. Deer heaven. Like a zoo. Tagged out quick in that little strip.

I lived at APG for a couple years in the late 80s when I was a kid. Don't remember much except for playing in the snow after a blizzard one year.

I lived at APG for a couple years in the late 80s when I was a kid. Don't remember much except for playing in the snow after a blizzard one year.
USC,
I loved the hunting up there. I never had so many deer all around almost every hunt. The one thing I hated there was shoving snow. That was a daily and sometimes twice a day chore. I don't desire to ever have to shovel snow again. Let the northern boys have at it.

USC,
I loved the hunting up there. I never had so many deer all around almost every hunt. The one thing I hated there was shoving snow. That was a daily and sometimes twice a day chore. I don't desire to ever have to shovel snow again. Let the northern boys have at it.

Agreed about the snow although I do enjoy it once every couple years. The more I tried to remember my days at APG I actually do recall going to the park to play and seeing 10+ deer in a field just staring at you. I haven't thought about that place in years. Thanks for bringing back the memories!

Back