Secondish attempt at throw and mow

T-Max

Last fall I decided a little late in the game that I wanted to try throw and mow for a food plot. My dad had a little (~1.5 acre) area of grass that he said I could do with as I see fit. The ground is poor, shallow soil and there is what we call wiregrass everywhere. I didn't have time to pull a soil test so I bought all the clearance food plot seed Tractor Supply had and went to town. I sprayed gly on about .5 acres of it, spread all of this BoB seed, and some fertilizer I got for free from our county Household hazardous waste department. I didn't get to mow as the gly hadn't had any time to do its thing. Well, it wasn't a total failure. Some clover came in really good in one small strip. Some random brassicas (BoB mix) grew to some extent and there was a good stand of ryegrass. Yes ryegrass! I have since sprayed and killed every last stem onf the ryegrass.

Early this spring I talked my dad into rolling out some junk hay he wasn't using over a quite a bit of the plot to build some OM. May 15th I broadcast buckwheat on the plot. Well, I hadn't used the spreader before and I ended up with 2-50' long strips of crowded buckwheat. There was a fair amount of forbs growing in there this summer. I let most of them grow and "weeded" (see what I did there?) out some of the more undesireable species. Last Thursday I spread a mix containing PTT, daikon radish, DER, kale, forage oats, red and white clover, and 200lbs. of 13-13-13. Note: the plot was expanded to ~.75 acres by now. I took our rotary mower down and actually mowed it this year. As I parked the tractor in the shed it began to sprinkle and we ended up getting 3/4" of rain 15 minutes after I mowed it. :)

Notice the green bushy plant toward the right of the last picture? It is a yellow squash that I didn't plant or take care of, but we have picked 5 of the best squash so far!

I plan to broadcast triticale over it sometime in September and top dress it with some urea at that point. I'm not sure it that is the best idea, but my thought is it would give the brassicas a chance to get going...

And please don't be too hard on me for not soil testing. I am a serious procrastinator and by the time I get around to pulling the soil sample it is usually time to plant...

I plan to broadcast triticale over it sometime in September and top dress it with some urea at that point. I'm not sure it that is the best idea, but my thought is it would give the brassicas a chance to get going...

And please don't be too hard on me for not soil testing. I am a serious procrastinator and by the time I get around to pulling the soil sample it is usually time to plant...
Not going to hear anything from me on the soil test...I have never done one...

I will pray for you
Lol... Never have been a farmer and I have been pretty satisfied with the way the plots have turned out...I don't mind a few weeds but I really am starting to despise grass of all kinds and scericia...

Besides that when it tells me I need 4 tons of lime to the acre and I have no way of getting a lime buggy in there and I know I ain't shoveling it all in myself so I just buy all the pelletized lime I can every year when it is on sale and run it through my old cone spreader...It will get up to snuff eventually ;)

Lol... Never have been a farmer and I have been pretty satisfied with the way the plots have turned out...I don't mind a few weeds but I really am starting to despise grass of all kinds and scericia...

Besides that when it tells me I need 4 tons of lime to the acre and I have no way of getting a lime buggy in there and I know I ain't shoveling it all in myself so I just buy all the pelletized lime I can every year when it is on sale and run it through my old cone spreader...It will get up to snuff eventually ;)

Yeah... I'm not going to say that a guy shouldn't soil sample, but for the scale that I'm working on, I'll never be out more than enough to matter...

Getting a soil sample is like having ALL of the ingredients and amounts required to make a cake or a loaf of bread. Sure, you can throw together some flour and baking powder and yeast with some water...but if you don't REALLY know what you're doing, can you expect consistent, high-quality food? If you get your sample results back and all you need is 80# of K, you can either buy 450# of triple-19, giving you way more N and P than you need, or you can buy 150# of potash to get the exact results you're after.

I've been in the situation where you just buy as much pelletized lime as you can afford, but I've also gotten soil samples back only to find out my pH was already in the low 7's on that piece of ground...if you don't KNOW, ya don't know.

It takes maybe 15-20 minutes worth of actual effort to collect/package the sample, $10-$15 worth of money to get it analyzed, and if you don't get the results until later, at least you eventually have some useful information about your soil and how to amend it.

Jason I agree with you on the value of having soil test done but I also like how the OP has gone about this as well. Gabe Brown said it perfectly, if we don't fail at something every year we aren't learning anything.

Following the old standby proven methods for a plot would be disc, fert, plant whatever monoculture plot you choose. That works but its like getting a participation trophy. And we certainly didn't learn anything.

I should clarify that I absolutely see the value in a soil test. And I will eventually get one. I have no excuse as to why I haven't, I simply haven't. The main reason I posted this is these pictures are from a trail camera that will remain in place for the whole season. I am interested as I am sure others are, to see what happens. I have read LC's threads thoroughly and that is why I used the 13-13-13 for a well rounded fertilizer. He has stated that brassicas are nitrogen thirsty which is why I plan to top dress with nitrogen later. I have learned from others mistakes on these forums for years. I hope this one works for me, but if not we can use it to help others understand the importance of soil testing. ;)

Edit: I have written down the details of my planting (seed, fertilizer, acreage) and I am going to keep a log of precip so we can see how this progresses.

Last edited:
Back