Score?

Mitch

Finally beginning to get some good bucks. Makes all the hard work feel like it's beginning to pay off. I'm not very good at guessing what a buck will score, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Great spread, long main beams. Would be a beauty on the wall. I say 158 to 162. I think I am looking at a 5 by 4.

Hope you get to put your hands on him and a tape measure on that rack.

Good luck.

Wayne

Looks to be same buck. I think you photo shopped that buck. We ain't got bucks that big in Oklahoma.

What a great spread!

135" - 140" spread is good, symmetry deductions, height, and mass kill the score. But in the end what does score matter though?

I tell folks score doesn't matter until he is on the wall and by then you will know if he makes your heart go pitter-patter or not and that's all that really matters.

Nice deer for this year or next or even beyond.....always a great feeling to get pics when you put work into the place......adds a sense of validation to your efforts.

Mitch

He is a good deer. If he is better than anything you have on the wall 'nuff said.

Guess I was too generous on my estimate. Take an average of what you get if you throw out the highest and lowest estimate.

J-Bird is right about the pitter-patter.

Honestly, the score doesn't mean much to me, and I don't field score deer and decide if I wanna shoot or not. What determines that is my initial reaction. I've used that instinct many times since I started bowhunting. If, when I first see what's going crunch, crunch, crunch and I think OOOOOOHHHHHHH MYYYYYYY GOOD LORD.......he's a shooter. If I have any other reaction than that, I don't shoot.
I shot a doe in early October and that feeling of nervousness was very apparent. Love that feeling.

I'm just trying to get better at judging the score of deer on the hoof on my land. It sure is nice to see hard work paying off.

That pitter-patter bit me in the butt this year, but oh well. I was a little too quick to the trigger and shot a deer I should have passed. I was after his daddy, but what's done is done. Maybe I will see his daddy again next year. Typically that initial reaction is good enough.....If I have to think about it I should pass. I have a habit that once I have decided I'm shooting that is what I focus on....no more looking at antlers.....I go into my "zone" in my efforts to stay calm and the like to make the best shot I can. If I start looking at antlers too much - well, all bets are off.

I still am no good at judging score - I score mine simply so I know. When someone tosses a number out there I can then relate that to a few of mine to get an idea of what that looks like. It's also funny how some bucks have one trait that is good but come up short in others. Some have small, thick antlers, while others have long, thin ones and some have width but no tine length while another is tall but not very wide. Don't get started on deductions....that's just another way to hurt a mans pride!

I think it is safe to say that deer is gross P&Y and unless you have killed several of those he is a shooter in my book. For 99% of us to get good at killing anything you have to shoot several of them and then raise the bar if you want too. Just remember to keep the bar realistic for the ground you hunt. It does no good to self impose a 140" bar if the area you hunt seldom if ever produces them.

Back