School me on JD corn planters

Crimson850

I am looking at having RDH outdoors build me a JD 7100 style 2 or 3 row no till corn planter. What all options are worth the extra money and why? Do I need spiked closing wheels? Seed firmers? Row cleaners? Should I have the drawbar filled with peagravel for extra down pressure? (I have a 100HP JD 6320). I just want the best, easiest to operate no till corn planter with options that will actually he usefull to me. I am familiar with how these planters work, but have never been around or used one. Would love opinions from someone who has hands on experience on what options I should consider

What soil type/conditions will you plant into, and how many acres per year?

I have an RDH planter and am happy with it, but I would take a look at these guys as well:

http://m.ksfarmsequipment.com/

Things you will need to no-till:

Heavy duty springs
Heavy duty closing wheel system (with the “T” adjustor)
Fertilizer box (this is key)

Things that are nice to have but not necessary:

Row cleaners
No till coulters
Spiked closing wheel
Keeton seed firmer

Great post. Interested why you say the fertilizer box is a must.

Although I am not a farmer, I grew up around farmers and my dad was a professional farmer turned hobby farmer. He grew at least some corn every year. Now I am the one who plants it. See my previous threads here:

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/2019-corn-planting.4892/

Each year is a learning experience for me, and no-till is different on each field. You might have to adjust the planter 5 times a day.

To answer your question, having the fertilizer box allows you to a) get the fertilizer actually in the ground (rather than just having it sit on top) and b) locate it so that you feed the crop and not weeds. This will save you money in the long run.

JD 7000/7100 planters are pretty capable machines. Plenty of farmers plant no till without adding any special attachments. You have to make sure your equipment is sharp and soil moisture is perfect. Too wet and it won’t cut residue. Too dry and it won’t get the seed deep enough.

Happy to help new corn growers however I can. Ask away.

I’m particularly interested as I’ve been casually shopping for a 2 row planter awhile. My budget isn’t high but I need something a little more dependable than TnM and quicker than spraying, disking, etc etc. primary crop will be sunflowers. I’ve zeroed in on a local IH 800, a model I’ve read of many positive no till results due it’s offset disc openers. The one I’ve found fits my budget and is local but has no fertilizer attachment. Just trying to understand drawbacks.

I've been farming with a 6 row 800 cyclo for about 5 years now. It does a good job on no till. Mine has coulter's in front of each row but I've been told they are not necessary to no till. Easy to work on. Easy to swap from one crop to another if you have the drums. Takes some time to get it hooked up to tractor and adjusted for each crop. If you find one in good shape they do a nice job. If it's been abused and not maintained it could be trouble. Check the fiberglass hopper for cracks. If you are talking about a plate planter with individual boxes on each row than disregard that. As far as the row unit itself it's a great design and is still the basic design that planters run today.

Just curious why you’re wanting a two row three point style planter with a 100hp tractor? I’d think you could easily find a JD 7000 four or six row planter cheaper than a two row cut down from RDH.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Just curious why you’re wanting a two row three point style planter with a 100hp tractor? I’d think you could easily find a JD 7000 four or six row planter cheaper than a two row cut down from RDH.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

This is a great question about your uses and why the small planter for corn when the tractor can easily handle a six row and is probably wider than the two row. I am also curious about your soil types and how much residue you will be planting into.

We are trying one spiked closing wheel per row but don’t have enough experience yet to know if it is worth it. Others have told us yes.

You can run liquid fertilizer to the front coulters as an option for corn.

Changing seed cups for different seed types makes it versatile but check for cracks in the cups where they bolt into the bottom of the fiberglass boxes.

Lots of good questions you are asking. Do you know any local farmers that you can ask who farm similar ground? This would be a good way to meet some.

You can also add or change these parts after you plant different crops for a few years and see what your conditions and results are like.

Have fun with it. If you aren’t chasing the highest yield and profit some of these decisions won’t matter as much and that planter will work great.

I only have one tractor, and will only do a few acres at a time for food plots, not for harvest. I may consider a 3 row planter. As far as reside, we have field with fescue and such here for pasture/hay land which I will plant corn into. I will spray to kill a few weeks before planting

I only have one tractor, and will only do a few acres at a time for food plots, not for harvest. I may consider a 3 row planter. As far as reside, we have field with fescue and such here for pasture/hay land which I will plant corn into. I will spray to kill a few weeks before planting

Have fun with your new planter. You can change or add spiked closing wheels and seed firmers later but you might not need any of that kind of fine turning for a few small food plots. Several adjustments you will learn through experimentation. Will you get different seed cups to be able to plant other crops? I have used the corn cups for cheap black oil sunflowers with good luck. Different cups for beans and also ones for sorghum size seeds etc. If you are thinking about different seeds in the future then asking for the different size sprockets to be included in your drive will help you to change population for various crops in the future. It’s a good machine and you can see everything to make adjustments and repairs.

Have fun with your new planter. You can change or add spiked closing wheels and seed firmers later but you might not need any of that kind of fine turning for a few small food plots. Several adjustments you will learn through experimentation. Will you get different seed cups to be able to plant other crops? I have used the corn cups for cheap black oil sunflowers with good luck. Different cups for beans and also ones for sorghum size seeds etc. If you are thinking about different seeds in the future then asking for the different size sprockets to be included in your drive will help you to change population for various crops in the future. It’s a good machine and you can see everything to make adjustments and repairs.

This planter doesn’t use seed cups - it uses finger meters. You can order other meters though. And if you get it from RDH, he will send all the sprockets with it.

This planter doesn’t use seed cups - it uses finger meters. You can order other meters though. And if you get it from RDH, he will send all the sprockets with it.

Good catch. Sorry for the wrong term!

If you leave seed in them after planting I have had mice get in and mess them up.

Back