Sawtooth oak - tell me what you know

j-bird

I have seen here and on another forum where folks have sawtooth oak acorns available. From what I have read they are non-native trees and I have far more questions than answers. So.....I was hoping some of you that have more experience with them can tell me about them.

#1 - are they a red or white oak?
#2 - I hear they grow fast, but don't live long (in tree terms)
#3 - do they drop acorns every year - a few, a bunch?
#4 - do deer like them?
#5 - growing conditions - soil types, moisture level, how far north?

I was thinking of adding a few into my fruit orchards - IF they are a good fit. i tend to avoid non-natives, but I'm looking at these real hard.

J-bird, i have a thread on sawtooths growing here in Indiana. Some pics and info there that might help.

#1. Red oak family
#2. Not sure on longevity. I figure they will outlive me at this point.
#3. Once my trees began dropping at ages 6,7,8, they have ramped up production each year. Never yet missing a crop or having a light crop.
#4. Deer love them. I rarely see deer beside my driveway with the exception of when the sawtooths are on the ground there.
#5. They can grow in pretty tough soil conditions as far as dry and infertile goes. Ive lost seedlings planted into soil that flooded and stayed wet for 4 weeks or so after. Not sure how far north. Hopefully somebody up there will chime in.

Another outstanding benefit is their screening abilities. They hold leaves until new leaves begin to emerge in spring. Definitely a benefit while trees still have lower limbs. Planting them in the open will help that.

They tend to form double leaders, causing bark fissures. Ive had a couple split down the middle because of this. Pruning out competing leaders in the early years can prevent this until they get too tall.

Good luck. I dont think you would be disappointed with them.

They are neither red or white oaks and the ones i've planted hate being wet but they are all only in their second year for me.

I think you will like them. They do produce early, and a lot. I do not know about longevity. If you have animals in the area that like acorns, then I don't think having non-natives take over will be a problem. I never find any acorns left, and any weeds/grass under the trees are trampled.

Red oak group/beech family ..per ohio division of forestry. I have found many seedlings volunteer on my property.

J-bird, i have a thread on sawtooths growing here in Indiana. Some pics and info there that might help.

#1. Red oak family
#2. Not sure on longevity. I figure they will outlive me at this point.
#3. Once my trees began dropping at ages 6,7,8, they have ramped up production each year. Never yet missing a crop or having a light crop.
#4. Deer love them. I rarely see deer beside my driveway with the exception of when the sawtooths are on the ground there.
#5. They can grow in pretty tough soil conditions as far as dry and infertile goes. Ive lost seedlings planted into soil that flooded and stayed wet for 4 weeks or so after. Not sure how far north. Hopefully somebody up there will chime in.

Another outstanding benefit is their screening abilities. They hold leaves until new leaves begin to emerge in spring. Definitely a benefit while trees still have lower limbs. Planting them in the open will help that.

They tend to form double leaders, causing bark fissures. Ive had a couple split down the middle because of this. Pruning out competing leaders in the early years can prevent this until they get too tall.

Good luck. I dont think you would be disappointed with them.

Found it - thanks Fish!

Back