RootMaker 18 cell tray

weekender21

How long can you leave seedlings in the RootMaker 18 cell propagation trays before they need to be up-potted? The individual cells are 3.125"X3.125"X4". I have two pounds of chestnuts in the refrigerator at the moment and plan to plant them in the RottMaker cells late winter or early spring. Once planted, can they remain until fall or winter or should they be planted or up-potted at a certain age?

I will plan on moving them out at 13 or 14 weeks. You want the trays positioned so that air can circulate beneath them. They are air pruning containers.

As for me, when I moving mine out I like to go to fabric bags.

Good luck.

Wayne

I will plan on moving them out at 13 or 14 weeks. You want the trays positioned so that air can circulate beneath them. They are air pruning containers.

As for me, when I moving mine out I like to go to fabric bags.

Good luck.

Wayne

I'm planning to start them "out". I'm guessing my plan has a few holes in it but I'm hoping to plant them outside in ~March after the last chance of a freeze has passed vs. starting them inside. They will be cared for by my dad, I'm really trying to keep it as simple as possible for him. I'll likely direct seed and tube a few in December as well. Maybe better off direct seeding all of them?

Is "direct seeding" the nuts into 18's or small air pruning pots (1 gallon root pouch or similar) an option as long as I can prevent them from freezing? Don't acorns and Chestnuts freeze during the winter months when direct seeded in the wild?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Last edited:
I have found that the timings on up shifting from rootmakers is pretty important to get continued growth from the plant. When left too long in the trays they will stall out on us and not continue with growth spurts. We plant a lot of acorns but also do Chestnut, maples, locust, sycamore, coffeetree and more but they are all different. The biggest thing that I look for is when pulling the plant out there is just enough root development to hold the shape of the cell, but when shook or gently manipulated with your fingers it falls apart. That is the ideal time to shift. If you pull it out and no soil comes with it, you are too early, if you pull it out and the roots are so dense it takes a lot of effort to break apart then too late.
Generally after about 6 weeks is when I start pulling them out and checking. Good choice with RootMaker, they produce the beat seedlings for us by far! Hope this helps, good luck!

My experience is right the opposite and has a lot to do with climate. I’ve had 10x better luck direct seeding with good weed prevention and a grow tube versus rootmaker with the same setup.

Matt, are you direct seeding in the fall and winter or waiting until spring following cold stratification? How important is it to wait for a radical? I was thinking about direct seeding and tubing a few in late December and the rest in April to compare.

Matt, are you direct seeding in the fall and winter or waiting until spring following cold stratification? How important is it to wait for a radical? I was thinking about direct seeding and tubing a few in late December and the rest in April to compare.

I wait till the spring and only plant ones that have shown a radical. That way you know that at least the nut is trying to grow. I’ve had plenty that stalled out after showing a radical but the chances go up tremendously that you will get a viable tree if you only plant those bat have already produced one.

Back