River Bend

Redneck

I’m not sure if I should start a land tour or not because I know I won’t do as good a job as most of the great tours on here but I will give it a shot. I started my land tour on the QDMA site right before we got kicked off. I was just getting started at that time. I bought 80 acres on the river and last year I picked up a 330 acre lease giving me 410 continuous acres. My house is on 30 acres that’s about 1/4 mile from the lease. Most all my habitat management is on my 80 acres at the river. I planted 20 something dunstan chestnut trees, 30 something apple and crabapple trees. 30 something pear trees and I grew a ton off sawtooths and swamp chestnut trees from seed when I bought the property back in 2016.

Last edited:
IMG_3716.JPG this is my 80 acres on the river. As you can see the property is right in the bend of the river which is where I came up with the name. The big field on the upper right is where all my trees are planted. The whole property was 3 year old planted pines when I bought it. I hired a mulcher to clear the 3 fields you see. The field in the middle At the bottom is a plum & peach tree plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Last edited:
IMG_3719.JPG The green area is my house with 30 acres. I hunt here every now and then but I see the same deer here that I see on my lease. I am only posting it because I will be fencing 20 acres of the woods off to run pigs on and will be doing lots of plantings in hopes of feeding them as much as possible with acorns, walnuts, hickory nuts, mulberry. Persimmon, Figs, muscadines, Pears, apples, and crabapples. I figured some might like to follow along on that adventure also

IMG_3663.JPG Here was my first chestnut I got this year. I planted these dunstans in 2016. I picked the trees up from Walmart when they went on sale. They had 30 trees marked down to $10 a tree so I bought them all

IMG_3662.JPG Here was my first pear, also this year. This is a pineapple pear. I buy bear root fruit trees ever year from a wholesale place buy the house. They are $5 a tree and even though the root systems aren’t the greatest I have had great luck with them

The river is my favorite place to relax. Here is a rock that I am amazed by. I call it dragon rock because it looks like a dragon head. I think it is really cool. It sits on the bank. IMG_3498.JPG here is my favorite place on the river, this is where we like to camp IMG_2569.JPGIMG_2571.JPG

Yeah, I was just making a play on your name. I'm a carpenter and I also build a lot of my own blinds. And when I buy a blind I'd sooner get a 360 pro series, they have the best window system. I love Mississippi, my daughter teaches school there and I get down to visit sometimes. The 10x10 blind on the 5 acre field looks like a rifle hunters dream.

Yeah, I was just making a play on your name. I'm a carpenter and I also build a lot of my own blinds. And when I buy a blind I'd sooner get a 360 pro series, they have the best window system. I love Mississippi, my daughter teaches school there and I get down to visit sometimes. The 10x10 blind on the 5 acre field looks like a rifle hunters dream.

I love it. It is where I take my girls hunting. IMG_1293.JPG View attachment 17375this is my oldest girls first buck. It was taken from that stand
IMG_3271.JPG this is a doe she took out of the same stand last year

This is my plot on the lease. The photos of the turkeys, pigs and 8 point came from this patch. I just planted all the plots 1 week ago due to rain and workIMG_0006.JPG
Also the trap I’m building in the trapping section is on this plot right inside the woods on the creek IMG_3741.JPGIMG_0009.JPG

Redneck - That's the best camo pattern I've ever seen painted on a shooting house! I swear those 2 tree trunks look uncannily real.

Here’s a few photos from the condo plot.
IMG_0017.JPGIMG_0018.JPG these photos show how thick it is in the planted pines. It’s getting about time for a controlled burn, the deer don’t seem to mind they bed down in it.
IMG_0022.JPG this is my biggest sawtooth I grew from acorns in 2016
IMG_0023.JPG this is my biggest seedling I grew from Granny Smith seeds in 2016

A few good bucks from the camera run. We started enforcing a 18” spread last year and have started to see a difference. The people who had our lease before we got it ran dogs and killed everything that moved. We got lucky and was able to get it when they got dropped. My goal for the lease is grafting a ton of persimmons this spring to try and get more food on the ground.View attachment 17451

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter F

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 0
Back