Resources for Growing Chestnuts

Matt as you and I know - the trees are the stake holders that matter. When given a choice between theory and practical - I take practical.

Are you mixing growing media or buying commercial?

New tree growers - always read the post by MattPatt - he is not only practical but successful in a difficult growing environment. :)

I mix my own. Last year I did 4 parts peat, 2 parts perlite, 2 parts compost, 2 parts pine bark mulch and one scoop of Osmocote. But not really happy with it. I'm to the point to where I need to take this years trees and upsize to one gallon root pouches so I need to figure out something pretty quick.

Matt

Iron deficiency causes the leaves to turn yellow but the framework on the leave stays green. I think it looks like bones or a skeleton leaf. Today I am purchasing a couple of products designed to treat this. I will post some pics of what I select. If you have 20 seedlings, they will react differently. Some will show signs of iron deficiency while the rest don't.

I believe in my growing application, my iron problems are caused by pH being to high. I use city water at the current time. One of my goals is to collect rainwater but I have other projects ahead of that at the current time.

This will be an experiment for me. I selected five seedings still in the grow box that were started late. They were due to be potted up so I did. I placed these five in a white square container I tested this year. They have holes down the corners and the bottom has excellent drain holes. Most of these five are extremely yellow with one having some color but not the normal green we see.

I purchased Ironite Plus at Lowes for retail list of $5.97 with tax above that. It is granular and has some fertilizer. I used a tea spoon and placed the ironite below the roots and on the top of the growing media. These five seedlings have been placed on the edge of my covered front porch to get maybe a couple hours of sun.

We are getting sun proof and trying to improve the green on the foliage. I don't expect to lose any of these five seedlings.

Two photos for you:

Ironite Plus.jpg

Five Seedlings showing issues with Iron Deficiency

Yellow Leaves Ironite Test.jpg

Why just five seedlings? This is my first time to use Ironite. Going slow is wise - if I gave too large of a dose - I only have five at risk.

Product is suitable for issue but I got to figure what is an appropriate amount to apply.

This product is something I purchased to try and help with plant that suffer from iron deficiency. I know some people that have blueberries and they said I might try this.

It is a 6 pound bag that I paid $7.00 for retail with tax above that. Right now it is an experiment that is yet to be conducted.

Soil Acidifier 6 LB Bag.jpg

This is fantastic information. I really like what your doing here. Keep it up. The pictures are very helpful. Thank you

This is fantastic information. I really like what your doing here. Keep it up. The pictures are very helpful. Thank you
Thank you for the kind words. It is appreciated. :)

Do you have any experience growing chestnuts? Zone 6a I guess you are a little north of me. I have helped many users grow their first chestnuts and I learned the photos help save time and avoid confusion.

Yes I have some experience. I've grown some potted Dunstans from Chestnut Hill, some potted and Bare root from Stark Bros. and have limited experience starting from seed.

I would be glad to get you on my distribution list for Chinese Chestnuts. I am adding names each day.

Send me name, mailing address, city state zip email address or cell phone in a private conversation if you are interested.

Always fun to talk with other chestnut growers.

I am a habitat guy that enjoys collecting my own Chinese Chestnuts - I have purchased a few but mainly I locate trees and collect them myself. I am fortunate to have great source trees - not everyone does.

This resource is one of my most prized habitat possession. It was given to me by a generous person on the old forum. An act of kindness is a wonderful thing!

The web address for the nut wizard is
http://www.nutwizard.com/?gclid=CPnYt9Twu84CFUg6gQodoOcB0Q

The head spins / rolls freely. The nuts and burs slip between the wires of the rolling head. When full the head is empty into a five gallon bucket. Get plenty of buckets because you can fill one up in no time.

Before this - we would call it the "Frankenstein Walk" when I could not bend my legs for two or three days after the first big collection day in late September of each fall. Those days are in the past now.

The company sells different size roller heads depending upon what you are collecting.

Here is a photo of mine.

Nut Wizard.jpg

No more bending over or sitting on the ground. This product does what it is designed for!

Wayne,my friend down the street 1 mile from my home lives at a placewhere there is a pretty dang big chestnut tree.I went there today and gave it a positive ID from the rounded base of the leaves.Anyway,the tree is loaded with chestnuts and there is only one tree to be found that is chestnut.Does that mean there will be burrs but no chestnuts inside?So my question,if there isn't another tree to be found and there are no chestnuts inside,would me planting another couple trees close to it help the thing to have viable nuts next year or the next?This tree was planted by former governor Winfield Dunn.When they start falling,I will go there and check out some of those burrs if I can beat the deer.

Diamond Hunter,

You can cut a bur open now and if it has a firm chestnut that is white it got pollen. I took a ride in the gator with my grandson mid-afternoon checking 10 trees I pick from and about 5 new ones I hope to pick. My two main trees in that group had burs that have gain size in the last two weeks. Everything is green but larger.

On some occasions, you find a chestnut tree that yields good nuts without finding a pollinator. If the burs are large in size, I guess it has viable nuts. One tree I checked today has no tree to pollinate it good based upon prevailing wind. It is a 20% tree - only about one bur in five burs will have a viable nut. It has plenty of shriveled up dead tissue - not chestnuts.

I bet you that tree has some viable nuts.

My gator ride today gave me more hope for a better collection season under my trees. Burs are gaining in size - hope that continues.

That question is above my knowledge. Size of tree probably matters. A few trees close would help it. Right now you don't know if it is pollinated or not. Cut a few burs open with a butcher knife - you will have a good idea. A nursery person might tell you how to pollinate it. There may be another tree close in type to pollinate it.

If you plant a tree close enough it may one day help pollinate it but it will take a few years until the tree will bloom enough to help. Id say 7-10 years before it really gets going.

I checked a tree yesterday that didn't have any other chestnut tree around. It will be a suspect tree until I can confirm the burs on it hold viable nuts. I don't have permission to collect from it at this time but it will just be a matter of asking.
I will wait until the burs swell up and I can see viable nuts inside or see thin wimpy little flat hulls inside.
Wanted to post this for first time collectors - not every bur will be pollenated. No pollen means no viable chestnuts to collect.

Where do you get you 1 and 2 gallon pouches. I bought some one gallon ones last year and they fell apart after about two months.
I meant to check Yoder's thread on the other forum, but forgot. I know he experimented with a variety of pouch type set-ups.

Another question. What is your timetable for moving the seedlings from the 18's to the one gallon pots? I think I waited too long to replant mine last year and they were stressed.

Last edited:
Where do you get you 1 and 2 gallon pouches. I bought some one gallon ones last year and they fell apart after about two months.
I meant to check Yoder's thread on the other forum, but forgot. I know he experimented with a variety of pouch type set-ups.
I checked my notes. I purchased one gallon black and two gallon brown online from the "GreenhouseMega Store"

I like the pouches. The black will last one year and I don't worry about reusing them. I have gifted many chestnut seedlings across TN and I like those. They have to be watered more frequently but they don't get hot like plastic containers can.

The brown ones are made out of a heavier material. I say they might last three years - if you wanted to reuse them.

People say you can direct plant the black pouches right in the ground and they will degrade. I am not going to try that. I may take scissors and cut them mostly apart first and then put in the ground. I don't want fabric where wildlife might get messed up in it. Birds would be my primary concern.

Do a search on Greenhouse Mega Store. You will find what I am referring to. They ship fast. If you ordered this weekend - it will be on the road headed your way on Monday PM based upon what I saw.

Back