Redfree apples or other early varities?

CAS_HNTR

Anyone plant a redfree and have anything good to say about it? I am looking for an early apple that is good for people and critters as well requires minimal spraying and general "care".

Any thoughts? Maybe I should just look at early pears too?

I think they are a good early season choice for both taste and disease resistance. Lodi, Yellow Transparent and Williams Pride are other early season varieties with good disease resistance. Lots of pears to choose from depending on what you mean by early season. Most pears ripen mid August through September.

I have one Redfree planted last year. It had an apple on it that i never noticed until June, so i let it go. Ate it first of August. Apple was nearly unblemished and it didnt get sprayed but maybe once, for what that's worth.

I have a redfree tree, but this is only it's 2nd year. It did come highly recommended though so I think you'll be pleased with it.
Maya, after seeing yours and native hunters pristine apples I'm putting it on the list for next spring.

I have a redfree tree, but this is only it's 2nd year. It did come highly recommended though so I think you'll be pleased with it.
Maya, after seeing yours and native hunters pristine apples I'm putting it on the list for next spring.

I love the apple Merle, it is easy to grow and good disease resistance as Cas hntr was looking for. The only caution is that they will drop early and fast.

BV, Zestar! is one of my favorite apples, but I haven't grown them for deer. How do they do without spray? I just know they are aweful w/ scab, so I never bothered w/ them for deer. For my deer trees that is one thing I look at. I've seen some trees w/ bad scab resistance grow real slow without spray. My Zestar!s should be ready to pick next week!

DSCN2102.JPG

I'm not sure Maya, i'm just getting rolling here, the only zestars! I have are in my nursery but will be going to the orchard next year. However right now I spray them w/ Imidan/Captan routine. CrazyEd has some in his orchard perhaps he's better to ask on how they do out in the wild.

If i remember, zestar! does much better in a northern climate. Because of that and disease issues, i didnt plant it. Id sure like to taste one though.

I think Redfree would be more of a summer apple dropping prior to deer season, which is certainly beneficial. Not sure how far into September they will stay on the tree. Anybody have experience with that?

I ate a zestar yesterday in Wayne county NY. They are getting pretty close to ready. All of mine were grafted over to Honeycrisp last year but a few didn't take so I have about 10 zestar mixed in with almost 3000 honeycrisp

Another early variety would be Irish Peach, I hear it mentioned here and there but I don't know much of its DR ability.

Back