Rattlesnake hunt?

catscratch

I kind of want to take the oldest boy on a rattlesnake hunt. I think it would be fun and a dried skin or two with rattles would be cool. I know OK and TX have annual celebrations, but since I don't have permission to land and expertise I was thinking a guided hunt would be fun. Anyone know of anything like this? I did a google search and didn't find much. Or, does anyone have an overabundance of rattlesnakes that they would let us come hunt?

I once thot you were somewhat normal,Cat. But I thinks you be rolling your wheat a little too tight. More posts like that and have to punch the ignore button. Seriously and oddly, evidently the things are becoming rare in WV as the DNR asks to report sightings to them. I tolerate the Black, Green and Rat snakes but no do on our Copperheads or Rattlers. Guess they have a purpose perhaps. I had a childhood friend that they would have large family outings to hack rattler dens. Always got invited. Never asked what they did with them. Good luck on your endeavors.

If you’re a rookie at skinning rattlers it would be a good idea to have someone show you. Remember those fangs still have venom no matter the condition of the snake. Be very careful around the head.

I once thot you were somewhat normal,Cat. But I thinks you be rolling your wheat a little too tight. More posts like that and have to punch the ignore button. Seriously and oddly, evidently the things are becoming rare in WV as the DNR asks to report sightings to them. I tolerate the Black, Green and Rat snakes but no do on our Copperheads or Rattlers. Guess they have a purpose perhaps. I had a childhood friend that they would have large family outings to hack rattler dens. Always got invited. Never asked what they did with them. Good luck on your endeavors.

I'm sorry you once thought I was normal, that was a mistake! :)

I've skinned many snakes and we do have rattlers in KS, but there're mostly Massasauga which are small and secretive. I find the idea of rattlesnake hunting for a day enjoyable. Plus a salted skin and a few long strings of rattle would be cool on a display. I would remove the head before skinning, I have no interest in venom injections.

We have them in Oklahoma and they get pretty big...I have killed a few. There are a couple things to know, you must have a nonresident hunting license of at least 5 days to hunt them without being in a rattlesnake rodeo or event. The cost of that 5 day license is $75....apparently if you are in one of the actual snake hunting events you can purchase a simple 5 day rattlesnake permit for $5 only but I suppose that is because they would know if you are part of an organized event you won’t be hunting something else such as turkeys or squirrels...there is public land not far from us that has rattlesnakes we used to hunt when we were kids. I have not found any on our own properties but I have on remote public hunting and our deer lease...Rattlesnake season is March 1st to June 30th...I would wait until you can get away a few days and hope for nice weather so the snakes are out of their hole. I can show you areas where there are snakes in NE Oklahoma. I think there are more in the western part of the state. We have timber rattlers here...

e9b206bf8fd6057ddac329b4f3f90d8f.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Okie! Any spots near Tenkiller or Grand that you know of? I have places to stay in those area's.

I've been to the Waynoka rattlesnake hunt as a spectator. It's a cool event and would love to participate but have no clue how to get involved or how to access land.

I see this becoming a Steve Irwin type moment.....Ahhhh, there it is.....the timber rattler...one of the most dealy snakes in north america......Oh listen to him....he sounds a bit grumpy.....lets piss it off by poking at it with this stick ...yep.....that really pissed him off.....now lets try to pick it up and tickle it's balls!:eek:

You are out of your damned mind! And I'm not afraid of snakes!

If you read books by Tom Brown Jr. he talks of bear slapping. Lay in wait on a well used trail and when they walk by, slap em in the rear. Great fun. You can practice on deer. When that gets boring move to bears. I did try this on deer and got within 3 ft but was too afraid of getting kicked so I chickened out. Bears would be a whole different kind of excitement, after your snake trip I mean. Lol.

59914419_2360254644024775_2068498447807283200_o.jpg
You can come to Morris PA and go out in the mountains, get your snake, and win a prize with it. Plenty of snakes. Too many, if you ask me. This year's dates are June 13th and 14th.

Alright guys... it's time for a couple of stories from my past:

1 - I caught a bobcat by hand once. It wasn't full grown but it was bigger than a house cat and made me bleed (A LOT).

2 - My friends and I had a game of kicking skunks. If you are quick enough that they can't turn their ass to you they won't spray. I never got sprayed directly doing this (I have been sprayed under different scenarios). Several friends did catch a direct stream.

3 - I release bobcats from foothold traps using my coat. It's tricky but can be done. The walk away after release can be interesting.

Not sure I would go bear slapping! They can do much more than hurt you. That is just plain crazy!

Thanks Okie! Any spots near Tenkiller or Grand that you know of? I have places to stay in those area's.

I've been to the Waynoka rattlesnake hunt as a spectator. It's a cool event and would love to participate but have no clue how to get involved or how to access land.
Cherokee PHA has a lot of them as does the Gruber Cantonment area...near Tenkiller lake...I could take you out to my lease and you could look for some there as well if I am free when you come in.

Alright guys... it's time for a couple of stories from my past:

1 - I caught a bobcat by hand once. It wasn't full grown but it was bigger than a house cat and made me bleed (A LOT).

2 - My friends and I had a game of kicking skunks. If you are quick enough that they can't turn their ass to you they won't spray. I never got sprayed directly doing this (I have been sprayed under different scenarios). Several friends did catch a direct stream.

3 - I release bobcats from foothold traps using my coat. It's tricky but can be done. The walk away after release can be interesting.

Not sure I would go bear slapping! They can do much more than hurt you. That is just plain crazy!

Now I’m quite sure there were alcohol involved in these and a hold my beer and watch this!! Glad to know you are teaching our kids and I’m very serious about that. Need some abnormal real people in the world and I love it. Good luck on the snakes. You could just go to a snake handling church and save the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggest one we ever caught in Waynoka was 52 inches.I didn't catch him but a buddy did and brought him back in a gunny sack we kept him for several months.I was alot more into the dunes and the parties.I bet you could go down there are even put add in craigs list or something

Cherokee PHA has a lot of them as does the Gruber Cantonment area...near Tenkiller lake...I could take you out to my lease and you could look for some there as well if I am free when you come in.
What is a PHA? I tried to google Cherokee PHA and didn't figure it out.

I'll let you know if we decide to make a trip to Tenkiller this summer and try to meet up with you. I appreciate the offer Okie!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Now I’m quite sure there were alcohol involved in these and a hold my beer and watch this!! Glad to know you are teaching our kids and I’m very serious about that. Need some abnormal real people in the world and I love it. Good luck on the snakes. You could just go to a snake handling church and save the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a single drop of alcohol involved in any of those adventures! I've got plenty of those stories too, but not for the internet. And thanks for the compliment!

Biggest one we ever caught in Waynoka was 52 inches.I didn't catch him but a buddy did and brought him back in a gunny sack we kept him for several months.I was alot more into the dunes and the parties.I bet you could go down there are even put add in craigs list or something
Didn't even think of putting out an add. Might be pretty easy to hook up with a group of some sort.
52" is a big rattler. I'm used to 20".

What is a PHA? I tried to google Cherokee PHA and didn't figure it out.

I'll let you know if we decide to make a trip to Tenkiller this summer and try to meet up with you. I appreciate the offer Okie!

PHA = Public Hunting Area...

Back