Rad Power Electric Bike Review

BoneCrusher20

2019-08-05 20.32.24.jpg Figured i would pass along something a little new to our farm. No this bike is not labeled as the Rambo or Quiet Kat bikes (way overpriced for a "hunting" bike). This bike is $1500 well within reason compared to 3k +. I know this may not be for everyone, but changed mine & especially father's hunting.

Advantages of E-Bike: No Scent trail, Quiet, Fast, No sweating getting to stand, less likely to be winded on way in, those with mobility issues (old kodgers, like my pa) hunt more because not sore from walking everywhere.
Disadvantages: Have to hide bike nearby (accomplished with pine bows), upfront cost, not checking sign in woods on way in as closely.

Brand: The bikes we have are the Rad Rover & Rad Rover Step Thru (For dad), with some added accessories. In comparison to the marketed hunting bikes, i would put them up against them in about every category with exception of color (no camo available). Motors are just as large, battery charge last weeks on end, same big fat tires, goes just as fast, customer service is top notch.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrover-step-thru?variant=31655485538400

Can be to stand in 3-5 min no matter which corner of woods, no more scent left behind coming in, i've gone through 2-3" of snow, this past year chasing turkeys my dad has normally struggled to keep up in his old age and knees and now he can chase turkeys again around the farm and not have my mom yelling at me that dad is racked up from you boys chasing birds around, as we all know he will never admit to being sore when going after them. This year he hauled a bird from back 40 in the basket.

Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on one of those, but I've been holding off because the technology has been advancing so fast those expensive things are obsolete in a year. Even ten years ago if you had told me that we will be throwing away all of our corded electric tools because they are obsolete I wouldn't have believed you. With the direction technology is going in another ten years we won't be using any corded tools or internal combustion engines for anything. So a battery bike is definitely on the list of things to watch. But this type of purchase is only a wise choice for people who use it a lot.

I use an electric cart for the reasons you listed above. It’s camo so I just drape some camo burlap over the front end to cover the headlights up and pull it into the woods. I can haul a deer in it too !

Lithium battery technology has really improved over the past decade, these bikes are really cool options. A buddy of mine here in Hawaii has an electric dirt bike, retails around $3k. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on one of those, but I've been holding off because the technology has been advancing so fast those expensive things are obsolete in a year. Even ten years ago if you had told me that we will be throwing away all of our corded electric tools because they are obsolete I wouldn't have believed you. With the direction technology is going in another ten years we won't be using any corded tools or internal combustion engines for anything. So a battery bike is definitely on the list of things to watch. But this type of purchase is only a wise choice for people who use it a lot.
Oh I can assure you we will be using internal combustion engines...

The one thing I can see useful with this bike is a scent free transport through the hunting area. That is it...

I really like the idea. Has anyone seen one that has two back wheels/tricycle like. I think it would be just what the doctor ordered for my dad to get to his blinds.

Thanks for posting.

The one thing I can see useful with this bike is a scent free transport through the hunting area. That is it...
I would say my number one advantage is that i don't have to sweat getting to a stand. With our colder falls than most of the mid west typically I'm in my late season gear for most of November on, so prior to a bike it was hauling clothes, maybe a climber in some situation in on my back and my feet sweating from my thick boots going a 1/2 mile in (1 hr later in my stand). Now i can wear my full attire and drive right up next to my stand. From truck to sitting in my stand in 5 min, nothing heard me on way in cause now i can take the long routes avoiding any key bedding, i would say that's the advantage for me personally.

For my dad it is he can hunt better spots now deeper into the farm. Prior to his bike he would stick within few hundred yards of home because hard for him to get around and he was never very successful and what do you know first year we got him deep into the cover and nailed a dandy buck.

Dang you, I've been looking at those wondering with their price point. You just cost me a conversation with the lady. Thanks for the info. Wonder how they do on steep hills?
I did some pretty extensive research on comparing specs on Rambo, Quiet Kat, few other more "mountain" e-bikes, which is what i would categorize these as and for the price point there is really nothing these bikes don't have that the "hunting" bikes don't and these were what i considered the better rated mountain bike that wasn't 4k. Upgraded suspension, fenders, same motor, big knobby tires w/ puncture proof liners, waterproof electronics, accessories to add on.

As for hills. I would say 750W minimum if you have any type of steep hills. We have flat land, but some rolling elevation for sure, some vertical climbs. We are not mountain country though either. But there is a big difference in climbing that elevation on a path that is used more and vegetation beaten down from tractors, ATV, etc and a path that is overgrown maybe not mowed off as often. I've never had much issues going up steep hill, but also i remember to pedal along with the e-motor, as you are actually assisting the motor, so it doesn't work as hard getting up. You really don't know you are pedaling, but it really helps the engine out in a steep climb where its using full power.

Back