Planting oats, add clover?

Crimson850

I am going to plant oats for the first time. I have not had a soil test done, but this particular field is just grass now, and has not ever been planted in anything to my knowledge. I am liming 2 tons to the acre this week, and before I plant I will spray gly on the entire field to kill everything. It is about 5 acres. I'm going to rent a drill to plant. My questions-should I add clover? What would the mix be per acre? (65lb oats, 10lb clover? I have no idea) would love to know what mix and planting rates you recommend. Per the advice of the co op, I will probably plant around the 2nd week of September here in central Virginia. He seems to think the deer will knock them out if I plant before the acorns start to fall. Any input on this? What about fertilizer? Should I add some at time of planting, or wait until it starts to come up? Thanks guys!

I am planting oats in two differant types of plots.

In my clover plots the oats surve as a nurse crop and will be planted as follows.

Naked oats @ 40 lbs/acre
Crimson clover @ 15 lbs/acre
Medium Red @ 10 lbs/acre
Arrowleaf @ 5 lbs/ acre

in my summer forrage bean plots I didn't get any pods, so I will go 100% oats. It's gonna be a test run as a cover crop for next year's beans. i will put down 80 lbs per acre.

i havent bought the seed yet so its likely to change.

so i guess it depends on what you plan on doing with the ground in the future.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Would love to have oats during deer season and clover into the spring. May plant corn in summer, depends if i can get my hands on a planter!

In my view, it always makes sense to add some clover seed to a Fall planting, regardless of what you are planting. Cost is relatively low and the insurance of having something there in the Spring as a fall-back is worth it.

I don't see any negatives of adding clover, just positives (mostly that it will come up in the spring.) If you don't mind the cost of adding clover, I would definitely add it. Plus it will add Nitrogen for future crops.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I am planting oats in two differant types of plots.

In my clover plots the oats surve as a nurse crop and will be planted as follows.

Naked oats @ 40 lbs/acre
Crimson clover @ 15 lbs/acre
Medium Red @ 10 lbs/acre
Arrowleaf @ 5 lbs/ acre

in my summer forrage bean plots I didn't get any pods, so I will go 100% oats. It's gonna be a test run as a cover crop for next year's beans. i will put down 80 lbs per acre.

i havent bought the seed yet so its likely to change.

so i guess it depends on what you plan on doing with the ground in the future.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry to change the subject but I have overseed beans with wheat at 100 lbs per acre. I try to time it just before the beans naturally shed their leaves. Have had very good luck with that.

And to the original post - yes - I would plant clover with the oats - just make sure you dont cover the clover seed too deep.

Corn loves nitrogen. Planting clover this fall, killing it off next spring before you plant corn, the clover will give you "some" free nitrogen, a value greater than the cost of the clover seed, with the added benefit of feeding the deer.

It's always nice to have "several" different seeds planted, in a food plot, due to the chance of a crop failure of one, plus helping with soil tilth.

Also, if you are not doing a soil test first, take 15 minutes before adding lime or anything else, pull up a soil test and send it off. At least at that point, you'll know where you started and what you added, in particular if you want to invest big money in a corn crop. A $10 soil test is worth it's weight in gold.

I drill oats at 65/15 rate per acre end of may this year. I mowed my oats down to help day light the clover last weekend. If to do over again I would have broadcast the clover as i am trying to establish a clover field and I think the broadcasting clover might be better?? I can probably do one more mowing of the oats before they head at the rate they are growing now. My clover is doing good but it is planted at 7.5" rows.

I drill oats at 65/15 rate per acre end of may this year. I mowed my oats down to help day light the clover last weekend. If to do over again I would have broadcast the clover as i am trying to establish a clover field and I think the broadcasting clover might be better?? I can probably do one more mowing of the oats before they head at the rate they are growing now. My clover is doing good but it is planted at 7.5" rows.
Here is what I ended up with.
clover.jpg

What type of planter did you use and did you mix the oats and clover seeds together and plant them at the same depth? What type of clover was it? Looks like a couple varieties?

I planted last day in May. I have a great plains notill drill. I have it set on shallowest setting because of all the rocks less than 3/4" inch deep. I have dual seed boxes so I didn't mix them. I planted each seperatly at their own seed rate. The seed I got from drop tine seed so it was his mix. It seems to growing good. I just think broadcasted I would have had more coverage. But at least it was easy doing it at same time with the drill. I just hope when oats are done the clover will be good to grow on its own.

Not a thing wrong with clover on 7 inch centers. It will fill in and you are the only one who will know the difference. Deer will not care.

As far what type of clover to plant the answer is it depends on what you are using the clover for. If establishing a perennial clover plot then looking into the persistent white varieties is always a good deal. If looking for a cover crop to add N for next year go with something easier to kill that produces more N per acre like a med red variety. Easier to terminate and grows quicker so you get the most bang for your buck for summer crops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just something to try for next time, whether you're planting an annual or a perennial, but, for your location, move the planting date up to the end of April. Your oats would've been seeded out by now and would give your clover some more growth time. Just a thought. Some of the coldest days I ever remember have been planting oats, with a snow mobile suit on. The clovers and oats will germinate at some pretty low temps. But like Smallplot says, your clover will fill in, once the oats are finished.

PH rates.JPG

Back