Plant ID Western NC

weekender21

All pictures were taken on July 15th in Western NC, area is in grow zone 6B mainly due to elevation.

This tree is along a creek on our property at about 2,800' elevation. It's close to an area that has quite a few wild crab apples but the tree, leaves, and fruit look quite a bit different. It's definitely a tree but I can't remember exactly how big it is.
IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1571.JPG

This one is in the same area and had very small fruit on July 15th. I'll be back on the property in a few weeks and will get recent pictures.
IMG_1572.JPG

These apples are in a creek bottom very close to each other. One apple tree had apples already turning red but most were still small and green. I'm guessing they are different species; all pictures taken in July. As you can see, they are pretty thick along this creek. It will be interesting to see what they look like in October.

IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1580.JPG IMG_1578.JPG

First one reminds me of a hawthorn of some sort.
Second one reminds me of spicebush as well.

As for those apples - I would flag them in some manner and make note of the other trees around them and consider going in with a chainsaw and freeing them up some.

Any idea what this might be? This picture was taken in a clear cut. The deer had this one browsed almost to the ground. It had a few buds when the picture was taken and it looked like the flower was going to be yellow.
IMG_1562.JPG

Back