Pine tree plantation

Aramark

hello all,
I have 40 acres of mostly pines that has been thinned out a little. My plan this year is to open up the canopy around the oak trees on the property. Besides that I have cleared out a section for a food plot (24x100 for now going to open it up bigger when I have more time ) about 200 yards from the lake.

I guess my main question is are pine trees good for anything other than cover for whitetail?
Thanks

Pulp!

They offer thermal cover from the cold and wind, and the deer will eat them when they are smaller. However other than that I don't think they offer the deer much beyond that. Many pines also self prune (meaning the lower branches die off) so as they get taller and taller their value to the deer can decrease. Most folks I know prefer to plant spruce trees for deer cover vs pines because the deer tend to browse them less and spruce hold their branches lower to the ground...AND spruce tend to be less prone to snow and ice damage vs say white or red pine.

That is all just my opinion and what I see in my area... I know up in your area yarding areas can mean life or death to the deer and the pine stands may play a far bigger role in that function up in your area. I get like 24" of snow all winter. The deer don't "yard" here....no real need to. So your pines may be playing a very important role to your deer, just maybe not as you prefer or intend. No point in worrying about feeding deer if they don't survive the winter!

The value of pines to deer? Here is how I look at it - pine trees generate revenue. Land is an asset, and in order for many landowners to continue owning and maintaining their land, the asset needs to generate revenue. There are a number of different options for generating revenue, but you asked about "pine plantations".

When a pine plantation is young, it does provide early-successional habitat which benefits deer in the form of quality bedding and escape cover as well as browse. I don't know about your area, but in the southeast browse production on the order of 1-1.5 tons per acre is a ballpark estimate given variation in site prep techniques and site index. Once the canopy of the pines closes, that browse production goes to nearly zero. At that point, pines don't benefit deer other than to provide thermal cover.

You mentioned thinning - in order for pines to grow, they need resources (sunlight, moisture and nutrients). When there are more trees than available resources, the trees stop growing. So thinning a plantation reduces competition between the remaining trees and allows them to utilize more resources and thus continue to grow. There is a time following a thinning operation when there are more resources on the site than the trees are able to utilize. During that time, other vegetation takes advantage of excess sunlight, moisture and nutrients and produces the early successional habitat that existed in the early years of the plantation.

Things change over time, and the plantation is no different. As the pines grow, they utilize more of the available resources until once again nearly zero early-successional habitat exists and the remaining trees are once again competing with each other for available resources. Now it is time to thin again, and the process repeats itself.

So - is there value in thinning your pines to release the oaks? That depends. Would the oaks produce if they were not crowded by the pines? That depends on the age of the oaks and how much of the available resources they can utilize. Keep in mind, oaks are beneficial to deer when they are producing acorns. Even in the best situation, oaks benefit deer for a few months out of the year. What is a deer going to eat and live in the rest of the year?

When I think of oaks, and where I want them - I want them where they belong - where they would have traditionally been. In my area that is the low areas, river bottoms, drainages and transitional zones between these features where fire historically limited their existence. When oaks start creeping out of those areas and occupying space elsewhere, I start to question their value. Is there something else that would provide more / better for a deer in that space. A couple oaks that produce a few hundred pounds of acorns per acre for 2-4 months, or early-successional vegetation that produces 1-1.5 tons of browse that is available for 12 months in addition to quality cover? Oaks are not bad, in fact they are a very valuable part of the equation, but a forest of all mature oaks is not the answer either. Once again, where I am, I have no hesitation cutting oaks or any other hardwood out of a pine plantation if I have other options that would be a better fit.

So back to the pines you asked about - manage the pines how you need to in order to generate revenue. If you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't need to consider the revenue produced by the pines, manage them as a component of a healthy system, which means opening up the canopy to promote species that help benefit deer all year. Understand that a healthy forest is comprised of all stages of growth for as wide a variety of species as possible.

My long-winded $.02 on pine plantations.

Last edited:
^^^^^ very well said. I have a couple hundred acres of pine plantation on my farm and manage as mentioned. Just another part of the mosaic providing ecosystem complexity.

The value of pines to deer? Here is how I look at it - pine trees generate revenue. Land is an asset, and in order for many landowners to continue owning and maintaining their land, the asset needs to generate revenue. There are a number of different options for generating revenue, but you asked about "pine plantations".

When a pine plantation is young, it does provide early-successional habitat which benefits deer in the form of quality bedding and escape cover as well as browse. I don't know about your area, but in the southeast browse production on the order of 1-1.5 tons per acre is a ballpark estimate given variation in site prep techniques and site index. Once the canopy of the pines closes, that browse production goes to nearly zero. At that point, pines don't benefit deer other than to provide thermal cover.

You mentioned thinning - in order for pines to grow, they need resources (sunlight, moisture and nutrients). When there are more trees than available resources, the trees stop growing. So thinning a plantation reduces competition between the remaining trees and allows them to utilize more resources and thus continue to grow. There is a time following a thinning operation when there are more resources on the site than the trees are able to utilize. During that time, other vegetation takes advantage of excess sunlight, moisture and nutrients and produces the early successional habitat that existed in the early years of the plantation.

Things change over time, and the plantation is no different. As the pines grow, they utilize more of the available resources until once again nearly zero early-successional habitat exists and the remaining trees are once again competing with each other for available resources. Now it is time to thin again, and the process repeats itself.

So - is there value in thinning your pines to release the oaks? That depends. Would the oaks produce if they were not crowded by the pines? That depends on the age of the oaks and how much of the available resources they can utilize. Keep in mind, oaks are beneficial to deer when they are producing acorns. Even in the best situation, oaks benefit deer for a few months out of the year. What is a deer going to eat and live in the rest of the year?

When I think of oaks, and where I want them - I want them where they belong - where they would have traditionally been. In my area that is the low areas, river bottoms, drainages and transitional zones between these features where fire historically limited their existence. When oaks start creeping out of those areas and occupying space elsewhere, I start to question their value. Is there something else that would provide more / better for a deer in that space. A couple oaks that produce a few hundred pounds of acorns per acre for 2-4 months, or early-successional vegetation that produces 1-1.5 tons of browse that is available for 12 months in addition to quality cover? Oaks are not bad, in fact they are a very valuable part of the equation, but a forest of all mature oaks is not the answer either. Once again, where I am, I have no hesitation cutting oaks or any other hardwood out of a pine plantation if I have other options that would be a better fit.

So back to the pines you asked about - manage the pines how you need to in order to generate revenue. If you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't need to consider the revenue produced by the pines, manage them as a component of a healthy system, which means opening up the canopy to promote species that help benefit deer all year. Understand that a healthy forest is comprised of all stages of growth for as wide a variety of species as possible.

My long-winded $.02 on pine plantations.
A friend of mine in Mississippi said that the price of pulpwood is very low right now, to the point that it's not worth getting a crew in to thin them?

Timber prices are constantly changing and subject to an array of influences. The hurricanes that hit Mississippi, Alabama and Florida this past fall flooded mills with salvage wood that is good for little more than pulp by this point.

In parts of SC right now we are so wet that timber buyers would give their right arm for a dry-ground pulpwood tract. That Is just the way it is. Pulpwood is not what it was in the early to mid 90’s and we probably wont see those prices in the southeast for a long time. If you are growing pine for revenue you most likely are looking to sawtimber and poles. Pulpwood is just a means to an end unless you happen to be in a good chip market or you are combining intense short rotations with other investment options.

As I said earlier, when the trees stop growing it is time to thin. You can carry them for a little while to wait out a dip in the price, but there comes a point at which you are loosing more value in lost growth and increased risk than you would if you took the lower price and thinned when the stand needs it. Thinning when the trees need it is also what is going to increase the wildlife value of the stand.

Pine plantations can end up being a virtual wildlife desert if they are managed solely for profit. Properly managed for a balanced system, they can be some of the most ecologically diverse habitat in the northern hemisphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back