Pear whip growth in one season

Native Hunter

Some of you will remember me posting some pics on the old forum of pears I set this spring. You may remember the one near the stump, since someone made a comment about it setting near that stump.

First pic below is this spring when I set the pears.

Second pic is today. I'm standing in a different spot in order to see the tree better, but you can see the stump in this pic too.

No fertilizer and no special care except watered one or two times during our drought.

Based on that cage being 4 feet, I would say 9 feet of growth so far this year.

I have a pear that I grafted last spring that is now pushing 8-9'. It is a seedling pear that somebody found in a fence line. Not only is the growth good but it thus far likes to throw laterals at close to 90 degrees which is definitely a nice trait to have in a pear.

I had a first year kieffer get ate to pieces by deer this spring, i caged it mid julyish and its already 8ft tall. Man they grow! Any long term effects planting next to a stump like that? Ive done it many time before just never knew.

I had a first year kieffer get ate to pieces by deer this spring, i caged it mid julyish and its already 8ft tall. Man they grow! Any long term effects planting next to a stump like that? Ive done it many time before just never knew.

An uncaged pear would be TOAST here in no time. Glad you were able to save yours.

I see no problem planting next to a big stump. It shouldn't be any worse than planting next to a house with a basement. That doesn't seem to deter stuff from growing.

I was nervous about the hunters choice pear because of the firelight issues.
Fireblight issues? I hope not. When I called to order I had two requests: as disease resistant as possible and late drop.
I guess I'm guinea pig number two as I have one also. It has done great with tons of growth and so far no signs of disease issues.

Fireblight issues? I hope not. When I called to order I had two requests: as disease resistant as possible and late drop.
I guess I'm guinea pig number two as I have one also. It has done great with tons of growth and so far no signs of disease issues.

You won't see FB until it produces blooms. Has yours bloomed yet?

PS: Seeing a little FB in a pear or apple is not a deal killer for me. It's how the cultivar is able to deal with it that matters.

Back