Peach tree thinning

BigJ

Looking for some help with thinning fruit off of my peach trees. This year has been a phenomenal year for my peach trees. They range 4 to 5 years old and Mother Nature was good to them this year.

c0296b3d7b88e1904546d7d715393bd9.jpg

They are all contender peaches and started the season looking like the tree above. I did an additional round of thinning but it seems like I didn’t do enough.

11d0d915732c92db04c856801cbded83.jpg

Now I’m here with them. Fruit is getting bigger and the tree is showing it. Is there a good rule of thumb for thinning? Or should I just remove until the branches look like they can support the weight? I really love peaches but I love having peach trees more so any help to prevent damage to my trees would be appreciated.

Thanks

I thinned my way over loaded Red Haven by hand a few weeks ago. Deff get it done before the ones you are taking off take away from the ones your keeping. :)

One peach per 6” and pick off any doubles where you got two growing right next to each other. They never do good when they get bigger. We grow Harvester and Ranger here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id like to grow some peaches other than my potted from seed tree, tree looks good and man they grow fast!

Thanks for all the help!

Thinned them way down yesterday (which broke my heart to toss all that fruit haha). They look a lot better.

Finally got to pick some peaches today! I think I could hear the tree saying thank you for getting all the weight off of it.

4c318c7c3e90396c3446f628f7333f4f.jpg

ccea49f7fd25af558f7facf8a3c53127.jpg

The pictures don’t include the six or seven I sampled hahaha

Gorgeous! They gotta be sweeter than the garbage they sell at WalMart!!

A guy a mile or so away from my house has a pear tree he doesn't do anything to, but it's always loaded with pears. We are working our way through 2 five gallon buckets we picked last week..

Nice. Too bad I can't ever get any off my trees due to brown rot. That stuff SUCKS and you can't get rid of it.

Gorgeous! They gotta be sweeter than the garbage they sell at WalMart!!

A guy a mile or so away from my house has a pear tree he doesn't do anything to, but it's always loaded with pears. We are working our way through 2 five gallon buckets we picked last week..

Best peaches I’ve ever had..... well I’m a little biased too haha

Back