Ozark Chinquapin

The Ozark Chinquapins have been planted on multiple, well drained sites. On this site I planted them next to American Chesnuts that I started from seed last fall.

IMG_0844.JPG

Here you can see the shadow of the chestnuts in the tubes and their first year growth.

IMG_0853.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I've got a few from the foundation that will be going into their third year this Spring. Looking forward to seeing them come out of the tubes in 2021! Are those nuts from trees on your property? If so how many years in your experience before they produced?

I've got a few from the foundation that will be going into their third year this Spring. Looking forward to seeing them come out of the tubes in 2021! Are those nuts from trees on your property? If so how many years in your experience before they produced?

I don’t have any trees at all of the chinquapins. These came from a research center in SW MO. I’ll be back down next fall collecting more to share with others.

Ozark chinquapins are some of the best trees you can plant for wildlife...unless you're in American chestnut country. I have a lot from the OCF planted on our place, but have also been collecting seed from wild trees we've been locating in parts of northeast Texas. I pollinated a couple of trees with some of the pollen from some of the OCF's best blight resistant trees and plan to plant those out in mid to late February, but Ozark chinquapins have more protein than all other chestnuts or acorns for that matter and can be consumed by both deer and turkey...unlike some of the none native chestnuts that are too big for turkeys. Right now the OCF has bred blight resistant trees that are nearly more blight resistant than the Chinese chestnut, so they can now be planted out in the woods for wildlife and survive the blight. I encourage anyone to join and support the foundation..

Most Chinese just have resistance to blight because they evolved with the blight in China, but they're not immune to it. I've definitely lost Dunstan's to blight, and Dunstan's are 97-99% Chinese. There's a new way to test for blight through leaf inoculation and some of these new Ozark chinquapins bred by the OCF definitely show higher resistance than the Chinese.

Just a note on blight. I lose one or two CHINESE chestnuts to blight every year.

Join the Ozark chinquapin foundation. They send seed to members every year. This years harvest wasn't as plentiful as last year due to squirrels taking much of the crop cue to lack of acorns, so not sure how many seed each member will receive, but you should get some each yea and in good years you'll get more. Make sure you plant them in the uplands though in well drained sandy or rocky soil...they don't do well in clay. Here's the li to the site.. https://ozarkchinquapinmembership.org/

I would love to buy some seed , if anyone has some available

So jealous! Have never been able to get any chinkapin seeds. My grandfather always talked about how he once worked on a state job, the fence row was loaded with chinkapins and he would always fill up his lunch pale to bring home to my grandma.

So jealous! Have never been able to get any chinkapin seeds. My grandfather always talked about how he once worked on a state job, the fence row was loaded with chinkapins and he would always fill up his lunch pale to bring home to my grandma.

Those are the stories that make it worth keeping the tree around!

Back