OT- Bald Eagle resurgence

Kwood

Been seeing a lot more at home (East-Central, IL) and at our property 2 hours West. Both close to the rivers.

Have you guys been seeing more?

Love seeing them. Here is a pic of a picture I took yesterday. Had 4 circling my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

6907f23e865e68e9ebd6e71fcd03786b.jpg

Eagles are loved and hated. In some cases their populations have rebounded to the point they are becoming an issue. I have seen them more around state parks with large bodies of water in my state. I hear further west they have been reported to kill young livestock, which doesn't sit well. I think raptors as a whole have had a decent increase over the past decade or two. I see lots more hawks, and other predatory type birds more so than in the past.

J-bird. You are spot on. I love eagles and dislike hawks. Probably wouldn't care for eagles as much if there were enough to be disruptive. Something about watching them soar close by gets me every time. Love seeing em. For now.

Probably put it in same category as bobcat. I love when I get one on camera, but know how disruptive they can be.

I have been seeing several eagles the last couple years. Just watched one that was fishing in the flooded fields along the Wabash River a couple days ago.

Quite a few more here in Central Indiana. Know where two nests are in this County, that was unheard of until recently.

I saw my first eagle ever in my home county (Marshall) here in N. Indiana two years ago. Have seen them ever since. The novelty of it hasn't worn off and I nearly wreck every time I see one. I can remember when turkeys here were the same and now we're overrun with them.

They are everywhere around me. Saw one just yesterday on the side of the road eating road kill deer.

I have several eagles around my farm but no major lakes nearby. Gasconade river is about 10 miles away. Saw 4 over the last winter flying around the farm. Seeing them everywhere actually.

Twenty years ago maybe never saw one eagle. Now in winter and spring eagle sightings are a regular event.

I see them by the dozens on the Susquehanna river below safe harbor dam. I'm thinking we may see the day when these birds could be a major nuisance. Once people start losing a lot of pets there may be a change of perception by the general public.

We have a camp on Mud Lake in Depeyster, NY and go up every May to hunt turkeys on an Amish farm. This past May, me, my brother and a friend of ours watched an osprey dive into the water and pull out a fish. Not 2 minutes later, an eagle was harassing the osprey for the fish. Another 2 minutes later, the osprey dropped the fish and we watched the eagle swoop down and catch the fish out of the air. Wish we got on video because it was one of the most badass things I've seen in the wild.

I saw my first eagle ever in my home county (Marshall) here in N. Indiana two years ago. Have seen them ever since. The novelty of it hasn't worn off and I nearly wreck every time I see one. I can remember when turkeys here were the same and now we're overrun with them.
If you keep a few eagles around, those turkey numbers will turn around quickly

Back