Order seeds

Anyone have a suggestion where I can order American chestnut and chinquapin and possibly persimmon seeds I can sprout/plant. There was one place I found but it was like $5 a chestnut for the seed. Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably don't need to be planting American Chestnuts in Mississippi due to blight. However, there are other chestnut varieties you can plant. Below is a link to a company that offers chestnut and chinkapin seed for planting. I would recommend contacting them now and discussing with them what they will have available,

Shop Seed Nuts - Route 9 Cooperative

As for persimmon seed, I suggest asking around in your area and just finding some wild persimmon trees where someone will let you gather fruit so that you can get your own seed. I'm finding that grafted varieties are really no better for deer than wild persimmons. Some grafted varieties grow a little cleaner and perhaps some have bigger fruit, but the deer eat all persimmons just the same. You can find persimmon trees with fruit by just looking for them in the fence rows on road right of ways at this time of year. Yesterday I traveled 40 miles East and saw three loaded trees. When I drive North to my farm I see four loaded trees in the 20 minute drive. When I travel another road about the same distance, I see three more loaded trees. If you know some farmers, ask them if they have any persimmon trees growing on their place. You should be able to find some.

Last edited:
The reason the chestnuts were $5 a nut was because they were American chestnuts and are rare. Chinese chestnuts would be much less expensive and would actually grow and produce chestnuts of their own. You never know when, not if, the blight will hit an American chestnut. As far as persimmon seed, go down Lake Harbour Drive to the Gateway Tire and Service Center. Between the dumpsters of the strip mall to the west and the rear of the tire shop are a stand of persimmon trees that are supposed to have a cotton candy flavor. You should be able to collect plenty of persimmons now or scions for grafting in January. You may want to identify the females now though.

The reason the chestnuts were $5 a nut was because they were American chestnuts and are rare. Chinese chestnuts would be much less expensive and would actually grow and produce chestnuts of their own. You never know when, not if, the blight will hit an American chestnut. As far as persimmon seed, go down Lake Harbour Drive to the Gateway Tire and Service Center. Between the dumpsters of the strip mall to the west and the rear of the tire shop are a stand of persimmon trees that are supposed to have a cotton candy flavor. You should be able to collect plenty of persimmons now or scions for grafting in January. You may want to identify the females now though.

By the shipleys?

If Shipley's Donuts is still in that strip mall, then yes, by the Shipley's. I parked in the back parking lot of the strip mall and walked behind their dumpsters towards the tire shop back parking lot and there are several persimmon trees. I am not sure if you are worried about taste, but one of them is supposed to have a unique cotton candy flavor. I have not had the opportunity to taste the fruit, so I am not sure if all the female trees share this flavor or if it just one. If you are just looking for seeds, there should be plenty of available fruit.

Last edited:
If Shipley's Donuts is still in that strip mall, then yes, by the Shipley's. I parked in the back parking lot of the strip mall and walked behind their dumpsters towards the tire shop back parking lot and there are several persimmon trees. I am not sure if you are worried about taste, but one of them is supposed to have a unique cotton candy flavor. I have not had the opportunity to taste the fruit, so I am no sure if all the female trees share this flavor or if it just one. If you are just looking for seeds, there should be plenty of available fruit.

As long as the deer like them I’m ok with them.
Donuts for breakfast
Thanks

I bought chestnuts from Chestnut Ridge of Pike County for several years

I stopped last year when my own progeny of baby trees started to produce

bill

If Shipley's Donuts is still in that strip mall, then yes, by the Shipley's. I parked in the back parking lot of the strip mall and walked behind their dumpsters towards the tire shop back parking lot and there are several persimmon trees. I am not sure if you are worried about taste, but one of them is supposed to have a unique cotton candy flavor. I have not had the opportunity to taste the fruit, so I am not sure if all the female trees share this flavor or if it just one. If you are just looking for seeds, there should be plenty of available fruit.

I found them. Got about 50 seeds out of ones that had fallen.

Question now is do I put them in the fridge until spring and sprout them??

I appreciate the location on them.
3a4737571899c910f09ff665135d7ba8.jpg

Last edited:
Clean the membrane off the remaining seeds. I then like to scuff them up with either sandpaper or put them on rough concrete and move them around. Just rough them up enough that they are no longer shiny. I found that I get better germination when I scarify and stratify them. Once you have done that, put them in a bag with a little bit of moisture until spring. You can probably plant them in late February or early March.

Clean the membrane off the remaining seeds. I then like to scuff them up with either sandpaper or put them on rough concrete and move them around. Just rough them up enough that they are no longer shiny. I found that I get better germination when I scarify and stratify them. Once you have done that, put them in a bag with a little bit of moisture until spring. You can probably plant them in late February or early March.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help

Back